Nike Just did It!

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 09:08 am
I have to say, I love the new Nike ad campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.

Quote:
Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.

On second thought, I wish they had come up with better copy. It sounds a little tacky. But, of course, it is carefully calibrated by very smart marketing people to have the a very specific reaction.

This is a brilliant advertising campaign. Nike gets name recognition and gratitude from a big part of its target demographic. They will also get credit for being part of a social discussion (although I am too cynical to believe this is more than a brilliant marketing move).

But still it is a great thing. It gets middle-aged angry White people to advertise their product for them for free. The boycott is great for them; trading aging White people for young, diverse athletic people. Not at all bad for their brand.

Good for you Nike.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 4,359 • Replies: 78

najmelliw

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:07 am
@maxdancona,
I agree. I think this is a very smart campaign, because it creates good will among one side of the political spectrum, and it will create buzz on the other side of the political spectrum, and both will wind up to be good for sales.

However, it's also giving Trump the metaphorical middle finger, and he's not the type to take something like that in stride. I hope there won't be much backlash.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:10 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:
I hope there won't be much backlash

Why? Nike is hoping for a huge backlash
najmelliw

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:12 am
@maxdancona,
I'm talking about explicit measures against Nike by Trump. Then again, on second thought, they'd probably get a huge amount of support from people if Trump did that...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:19 am
@najmelliw,
Quote:
I'm talking about explicit measures against Nike by Trump.

I think Nike would love it if that happened! No one was in a position to make a shitpile of money off of pink knit hats. If Nike sneakers become the next big symbol of resistance ... they will have hit the jackpot.

They are an established $35 billion corporation... but they will be seen as a brash upstart standing up to the man.

Talk about a marketing coup.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Good for you Nike.
What if someone who you cared about ended up murdered by one of these BLM goons? Would you still be supportive of these murderers?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:28 am
@oralloy,
What if someone you love gets murdered by a Trump supporting goon? (This is a silly argument).

The "BLM goons" aren't the ones setting their own shoes on fire.

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is a brilliant advertising campaign. Nike gets name recognition and gratitude from a big part of its target demographic. They will also get credit for being part of a social discussion (although I am too cynical to believe this is more than a brilliant marketing move).

I agree with all of that, but I do want to point out that Nike continued to pay Kaepernick throughout 2017-18 even though he was not on an NFL team and they did that without a lot of press or chest thumping. Of course dropping him might not have been good marketing, but that support goes a long way with me.
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
What if someone you love gets murdered by a Trump supporting goon?
Trump and his supporters are not demanding the right to murder anyone.

maxdancona wrote:
This is a silly argument.
Not at all. BLM goons are demanding the right to murder police officers. You and Nike are supporting this offensive group of thugs.

maxdancona wrote:
The "BLM goons" aren't the ones setting their own shoes on fire.
They are the ones who are demanding to be allowed to murder police officers.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:50 am
@oralloy,
You are being awfully silly Oralloy. Trump supporters are demanding the right to kill people; namely immigrants and Jews. Of course not all Trump Supporters are self-described Neo-Nazi's. But some are. Be very careful playing this game (pretending that any more than a few BLM supporters supporting killing police). Trump supporters include some awfully ugly people including people publicly chanting "heil Hitler" and calling for the killing of Jews.

Kneeling for the anthem doesn't mean you support "killing police officers" any more than voting for Trump makes you a neo-Nazi....

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 10:53 am
@engineer,
Sure Engineer... they deserve credit. But this decision was made by very smart people in suits who made a calculation of risk versus potential reward. I don't think there was ever much risk for Nike. This move is brilliant and the timing is great, but it isn't actually very courageous.
Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 11:01 am
Definitely a bold move. And definitely going to be talked about so Nike gets alot of free advertising.

Short term here their stock is down - but who knows what the long term impact will be. You will get all these people initially running out to support this and then all these people doing the opposite - then it will die down.

My personal guess is in the long term not much.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 11:39 am
@maxdancona,
Agreed, good doesn't mean courageous, but I'll give them good.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
They will also get credit for being part of a social discussion (although I am too cynical to believe this is more than a brilliant marketing move).

All good, Max, except when you, of all people, start pointing fingers at others, hinting at dishonesty.
jcboy

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 01:10 pm
If find it hilarious that the protest against Nike is to cut up or burn items with the Nike logo. What do they care, you already bought the overpriced merchandise and in time will buy more when their gnat sized brain forgets about it 10 minutes later. Razz
camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 01:13 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
when their gnat sized brain forgets about it 10 minutes later.

Precisely what businesses and US governments rely on, jcboy, Americans' gnat sized brains.
0 Replies

mysteryman841

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 02:46 pm
What has collin kapernick sacrificed?

He still gets paid millions of dollars every year.

He was offered a job by the Denver Bronco's and he turned it down.

If you want to talk sacrifice, then there are many vets that have sacrificed limbs, or their lives, for what they believe.

They deserve the recognition, not a football player!!
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:25 pm
How much is a pair of Nikes now, anyway?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:26 pm
@mysteryman841,
And... there are vets who support Colin Kaepernick.

I don't know if you know this, my son is currently serving in Afghanistan. He isn't bothered by the protests (actually he thinks the opposition from White people who have never served is stupid).

As a father of a soldier, I find this argument that soldiers uniformly support the White Conservative position to be more than a little frustrating. The military is pretty diverse, and I personally know both soldiers and vets who would find your position far more offensive to their service than NFL Players kneeling.

The protest had nothing to do with the military. It is Trump supporters who are using the military as political pawns.
camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:46 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
What has collin kapernick sacrificed?

What anyone who speaks out in America about what is bad about America, lots.

Quote:
He still gets paid millions of dollars every year.

So the **** what? He has earned it!!

Quote:
He was offered a job by the Denver Bronco's and he turned it down.

Man, you can sure think up inane things, mm. Have you got anything of substance to offer?

Quote:
If you want to talk sacrifice, then there are many vets that have sacrificed limbs, or their lives, for what they believe.

What brainwashed people believe is of zero value. There is no sacrifice in following lying US governments for illegal invasions of sovereign nations.

Quote:
They deserve the recognition, not a football player!!

How many German soldiers do you see getting recognition for following Nazi orders?
0 Replies