Nike Just did It!

camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't know if you know this, my son is currently serving in Afghanistan.

Taking part in US war crimes. Are you bursting with fatherly pride, Max?

Why have some thinking soldiers been able to see the lies - they have garbaged their "medals", but your boy and you can't?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:51 pm
Two thoughts.

1. Jaded me thinks maybe it was a smart PR move, because that’s the way the world is. I’d like to see a demographic breakdown of Nike’s clientele—-and I’d love to be wrong.

2. I’m damn glad about what they did. Kaepernick is a hero as far as I’m concerned.
najmelliw

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 03:58 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

All good, Max, except when you, of all people, start pointing fingers at others, hinting at dishonesty.

I have no desire to defend Max, nor do I really think I need to, because he is more than capable of defending himself...

However, I simply have to say that I find it rather deplorable that the first post you make in regard to the OP is an ad hominem obviously based on your interactions in other discussions, since you don't even address the topic at hand.

If you don't have anything meaningful to say in regards to the topic at hand, just don't speak at all, won't you?
roger

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 04:00 pm
@najmelliw,

najmelliw wrote:

If you don't have anything meaningful to say in regards to the topic at hand, just don't speak at all, won't you?

In your dreams.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 04:08 pm
@najmelliw,
ad hominems don't contain the truth, which is what I offered.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 04:13 pm
@najmelliw,
Thank you Najmelliw. My philosophy is to simply not respond to Camlok unless he says something interesting (he pretty much says the same thing on every single thread). Not responding cuts the off-topic foolishness in half.

You are correct that there is no need to defend me... I just chuckle and let it go.
camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 04:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
My philosophy is to simply not respond to Camlok unless he says something interesting

Here is Max weaving his lies again. Max pretends the above but he knows he has run because he can't offer anything reasonable as a counter.

Hearing something totally the opposite to what you believe, Max, would actually generate incredible curiosity among the majority of scientifically curious people.

That ain't you, Max. You should tell the folks that your only attempt was where you set the entire scenario, you controlled what could be discussed, you wanted to be the only one to draw the conclusions. That ain't science, Max, name..., roger the dodger, ... .

Now, on NIKE and Colin, we mostly agree. We don't agree on the part where you provide continued cover for what you know to be an illegal invasion of Afghanistan.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 04:59 pm
It's Capitalism at its finest. I hope Nike does very well with the ad campaign.
0 Replies

mysteryman841

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 06:10 pm
@maxdancona,
I 100% support his right to protest, that doesn't mean I agree with it.

I also served in Afghanistan, BTW.

My point had nothing to do with his protest, and more to do with the fact that he hasn't sacrificed anything.
Nike is free to hire whomever they want, and I am free to say they made a bad choice.

I know not every member of the military supports Trump, but that has nothing to do with what I was talking about.
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 06:20 pm
They lost in the long run...

Why does Roger Federer leaving Nike for Uniqlo feel so ... wrong?
He had 300 million good reasons.

By: Chris Chase | July 3, 2018 12:09 pm

This shouldn’t be that weird.

On Monday, Roger Federer played a tennis match while wearing white clothing that looked pretty much identical to what he’s worn in each of his 20 appearances at Wimbledon. The eight-time champion donned a crisp, tailored shirt with shorts cut just above the knee and a cloth head band to complete the ensemble. (All white, of course.) The lone difference: the familiar Nike swooshes on the left breast, left shoulder, shorts and head tie were replaced by small, red squares that inside read “UNIQLO.”

And everybody lost their minds.

In a fashion reveal that had all the drama of Rihanna stepping on the red carpet at the Met Gala, Federer ended weeks of speculation with his wordless entrance onto Centre Court in a jacket made by Uniqlo, the Japanese casual wear designer. It was both a major surprise and the revelation of the worst-kept secret in tennis.

Since the start of June, there had been reports that Federer’s 21-year relationship with Nike would end and a $300 million deal with Uniqlo was imminent. The outerwear clothier wanted to expand its worldwide footprint and make a splash before the biggest showcase in sports – the 2020 Summer Olympics – came to Japan.

But Federer showed up in Stuttgart and Halle wearing his usual Nike gear and then, last week, the company released his outfit scripting for Wimbledon, suggesting that maybe a reconciliation was still in the works. And then Federer showed up to the dance with a different girl on his arm.

The unveiling showed a flair for theatrics that Federer probably enjoys more than he lets on (you can’t be friends with Anna Wintour if you don’t revel in the show a little bit). If you weren’t proclaiming the end of Roger Federer as we knew him or wondering about the repercussions of four-square inches of fabric or lamenting the seismic shift that’d just occurred in tennis, nay, the world, then you were at least writing, talking or thinking about it.

Pro-Federer or anti-Federer, this mattered. It was the biggest story of the day at the All England Club – far bigger than the defeat of reigning U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens, an upset victory by three-time major winner Stan Wawrinka or even Federer’s efficient straight-set victory. But why? Why do people care so much about what clothing is worn by Roger Federer?

It almost certainly has everything to do with the legions of Federer fans worldwide, the ones who turn every match into a home game and wear his gear like it’s a Yankees or Cowboys jersey. (That’s unprecedented for an athlete in an individual sport. Even at his peak, Tiger Woods wasn’t inspiring anyone to rock the red while playing 18.)

Federer’s RF hat is ubiquitous at tennis venues from the majestic grass courts at Wimbledon to the cracked asphalt at your local park. You can’t walk around a tournament without bumping into someone wearing one of the dozens of the cap’s color combinations. Those FedFans make their hero’s ties with Nike seem larger than life. If Rafael Nadal or Serena Williams left Nike, it wouldn’t merit more than a passing mention.

Why risk alienating legions of fans (as preposterous as that sounds)? The money is a no-brainer – going from a reported $10 million annually with Nike to $30 million annually with Uniqlo doesn’t present much of a decision, especially when the new deal reportedly includes a remarkable clause that says Federer gets paid even if he doesn’t play.

But athletes who have designs on becoming a business, man, aren’t led blindly by dollar signs. LeBron James could have made more short-term money staying in Cleveland but went to L.A. to lay the foundation for his post-athletics future. Federer did the same, but with far more agreeable circumstances. Uniqlo put him in position to win financially and commercially, with hopes of making him bigger in the apparel market than he ever could have been with Nike.

Because for as big as Federer is, and Forbes says he’s the biggest endorser in the sports world, he’d always have been second-fiddle (or third or fourth or fifth) at Nike. That’s Michael Jordan’s domain and even LeBron won’t make inroads there. Going to a new place provides an opportunity for Federer to go beyond brand-building. This is legacy stuff.

It’s far from a sure thing, however. Beyond outlaying one-third of a billion dollars to a tennis star who probably has four years left, at most, Uniqlo has another major challenge ahead of it. The company needs to make Roger Federer one of its own instead of a Nike carpetbagger who chased the money. For the deal to work, Federer has to become synonymous with the brand. But if so many people consider him synonymous with Nike, is that even possible? You can put a Heineken in James Bond’s hand but everybody still assumes he’s drinking martinis.

Federer’s ties with Nike go back to his days as a temperamental junior with bleached blond hair. He was wearing the swoosh at the start of his career, (when he sported an unsightly ponytail and mixed flashes of brilliance with disappointing Grand Slam results).

It was there when he began winning Slams at an unprecedented clip – five-straight Wimbledons and four-straight U.S. Opens in the mid-2000s. The swoosh was on his chest when his career was flickering and still there when he made his unprecedented comeback. No tennis player has ever been tied with a brand as much as Federer with Nike.

And he’ll continue to be. Federer will wear the Oregon company’s shoes (Uniqlo isn’t in the market) and has already spoke about a potential sneaker deal with Nike. (He should. Despite all the hand-wringing, a shirt logo is completely irrelevant. But for a 37-year-old with a history of great health, shoes are as important as the racquet. Changing from Nike so late in the game doesn’t seem like a risk worth taking.)

Will the swoosh on the feet overshadow the logo on the chest? It all depends on the aforementioned RF logo. Federer says that his famous interlocking letters, which is currently in possession of Nike, will “come to me at some point, I hope rather sooner than later if Nike can be nice and helpful in the process.” Only Federer could bail for a $300 million deal and make himself the aggrieved party in the process.) It’s crucial for Uniqlo to get rights to the RF if only to sell gear to the fans.

It’s still weird though – going from the biggest name in sports to a company virtually unknown in the Western world. Federer’s endorsement portfolio screams luxury: Rolex, Mercedes, Credit Suisse and Moet and Chandon. How do those fit with a company that basically clothing’s version of fast food? That’s no knock at Uniqlo. They have their lane. But it’s kind of like Federer letting all his other deals expire and signing up with Fossil, Hyundai, Cash2Go and Andre.

But for as foreign as it feels, this is actually in line with the new Roger. He’s embraced change far more than he did in his stubborn early days and to great success. In the past five years he’s cycled through coaches, retooled his backhand, changed to a larger racquet frame (after years of resistance) and altered his strategy in countering the play of his arch-rival Rafael Nadal. It’s led to his greatest run of tennis since 2009. Why not keep rolling

And in the meantime, Uniqlo better start coming up with designs for English garden-party cardigans to wear at Wimbledon.
camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 07:58 pm
@neptuneblue,
The vacuous world of fashion is big for you, isn't it?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2018 08:00 pm
@mysteryman841,
Quote:
I also served in Afghanistan,

That was an illegal invasion of a sovereign nation, the supreme war crime as described by Nuremberg. 'serve' is not the right word.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:34 pm
@maxdancona,
It is brilliant, but not for reasons of conventional wisdom that are crawling around the internet and the airwaves like fleas.

In one cynical swoop, Nike has wiped away the ill will it previously earned among liberals (at least) for its deplorable overseas labor practices...and it's cost them hardly anything at all.

Nike has, from the very beginning, carefully cultivated an image that is in direct opposition to the reality that it is almost a cartoon version of the predatory, heartless, uber-capitalist mega-corporation...you know, the one most of the lefties here are always complaining about.

Exploit Asian workers (including children) in a fashion reminiscent of Industrial Age UK factories? No problem! All you have to do is pay a few million to a civil rights dilettante who wears an enormous Afro and Fidel Castro T-shirts and buys into the nonsense that he is the Malcolm X of the 21st Century.

Nike has always had some of the best copywriters working for them on their ad campaigns, but this time they're able to phone it in and still hit one out of the park. The line about him sacrificing everything for a cause is undeniably false and breathtakingly vapid and yet the crowd they are targeting are eating it up.

This isn't about Kaepernick and it certainly isn't about BLM, police brutality, and civil rights. It's about hating conservatives, Republicans, and most of all Donald Trump. The whole "take-a-knee" movement (I cringe even using the term sarcastically) is but one of many issues reflecting the cavernous divide in American society, and, like most, manifests itself in mostly visceral ways. It's ludicrous to suggest that it ever has or ever was intended to "start a discussion" about discrimination within the criminal justice system or about police brutality. There was plenty of "discussion" on these subjects generated by police shootings and riots (whether that discussion was gainful is another story), but America sure didn't need a fading quarterback, pissed off because he wasn't appreciated by his team, and under the influence of his radical, left-wing Svengali of a girlfriend, to get us to talk about them.

Wisely or otherwise, Trump (in Trump fashion) inserted himself in the middle of the NFL's problem with players looking for a way to appear concerned with sacrificing anything (least of all their considerable riches), and by so doing turned the movement (ug) and Kaepernick into anti-Trump symbols.

The typical reaction, from the Left, to this campaign is not:

"Oh good! Nike is supporting efforts to establish a criminal justice system, truly blind to differences among defendants!"

Nope, it's:

"Oh good! This will really piss conservatives and Trump off!"

In truth, Nike never really took the knock it should have for its abusive labor practices. The proof of this is that they really haven't changed them. Ask the average anti-capitalist what companies make their top 5 list of Evil Running Dog Corporations, and the chances are you won't find Nike on any of them. The primary reason for this is that most of these people have heard a lot more clever Nike ads, spouting hip catch-phrases and studded with sports celebs, than stories about Nike business practices.

Still, because Nike hasn't changed its ways, it remains vulnerable to attacks on this front, and since the people who love Kap as a hero or a thorn in Trump's side are most likely the ones who (you would think wouldn't you?) might give them trouble about exploiting Asian women and children, the campaign is something of an inoculation. It's amazing how little it cost them.

Lash

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:37 pm
@Lash,
Nike is tanking.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You describe the USA predatory capitalist system, Finn. You just left out all the war crimes etc.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hating Trump is not the same thing as hating conservatives. I think most conservatives would agree with me. Many traditional conservatives hate Trump; probably more than I do.

I don't always find myself in the position of defending conservatives.... but there it is.
roger

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 08:04 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 12:29 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Hating Trump is not the same thing as hating conservatives.

No kidding?

Not every liberal who hates Trump hates conservatives...just 99% of them.
Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 01:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You say that like that’s a bad thing!
0 Replies

bernicestockstill

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2018 04:12 am
@maxdancona,
Great news! Thx!
0 Replies