Jeb Bush for prez "08"

JustWonders

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
Ah, well, I just read that there is a bit of some 'malpractice lawsuit' money still left and guess who gets it if she dies?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:02 pm
Exactly. Mom and Dad want him to divorce her, so he won't have her killed.

He (if I'm not mistaken) is shacked up with another woman--and in that, I wouldn't blame him. BUT, don't kill her because she's costing you too much of your lawsuit settlement. Divorce her. Let them be responsible for the bills-- He just doesn't want to miss that pay day.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
What's the evidence that she told him she wanted to die in this situation? Do we have any idea whether her life is of some value to her? She is neither a corpse nor in a coma. No one is planning to "let her die." They plan on stopping feeding her. Other than a feeding tube, she is not recieving any form of life support.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:08 pm
Brandon is correct. It would be murder.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:10 pm
I wonder how her health care is being paid. Have you any idea what it costs to keep someone hospitalized for years on end? Millions.

Lest you think I'm making an economic argument here, I am. When we have so many people who can't get the most basic health care, this kind of story is sickening.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:14 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I wonder how her health care is being paid. Have you any idea what it costs to keep someone hospitalized for years on end? Millions.

You mean, someone has to pay such privately Shocked
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:23 pm
D'artagnan wrote:

Lest you think I'm making an economic argument here, I am. When we have so many people who can't get the most basic health care, this kind of story is sickening.

So, you favor killing her to save the money, even, just to make the argument more interesting, if it could be shown that she is aware of her life and doesn't want to die." Right? You want to shut off the food supply.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
So what?

She's not capable of feeding herself. She's not capable of getting out of bed. She can't communicate her displeasure with the removal of the tube.

I agree with McG; she's a corpse that has been kept alive for years. Just let her go already!

I thought all you religious types thought that dying and going to be with God was a good thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:29 pm
I couldn't starve a person to death. I'm sad to see that you could.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So what?

She's not capable of feeding herself. She's not capable of getting out of bed. She can't communicate her displeasure with the removal of the tube.

I agree with McG; she's a corpse that has been kept alive for years. Just let her go already!

I thought all you religious types thought that dying and going to be with God was a good thing.

Cycloptichorn

Just for the record, I have always been an atheist. Also, she is not a corpse, she is severely brain damaged. I guess your answer indicates some degree of boredom with the question of whether she wants to live.

I think I am noticing a pattern here. It is not perfect or without exceptions, but am I seeing that the liberals who agonize over the loss of every life in Bush's wars do not, when one looks closely, give a crap about life, and the conservatives seem, by and large, to consider life sacred?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So what?

That your argument with regard to abortion too, Cyclops? What about elderly people? Alzheimer's patients? Shall we kill them all?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:35 pm
Quote:
I couldn't starve a person to death. I'm sad to see that you could.

Why are you fighting against this lady's God-given RIGHT TO DIE?

She's in a PVS - persistent vegatative state. Several doctors have agreed upon this. The fact that Terry's SELFISH parents (who can't let their daughter go) found a doctor or two who dissents doesn't change her condition.

From a pretty balanced information piece on about.com:

http://civilliberty.about.com/cs/humaneuthinasia/a/bgTerry_2.htm

Quote:
I've seen some of this video of Terry - she appears to be conscious and possibly even making eye contact. This is a bit unlike a person on a respirator in a permanent coma. Doctors hired by Terry's parents believe that she could be rehabilitated to swallow food on her own.

But experts point out that these "reactions" are nothing more than random motor reflexes, and not indicative of real consciousness. Indeed, of nearly 4 and a half hours of video taken by Terry parents, they are only showing a few seconds that "appear" to be conscious moments.

Just let her go already....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Just let her go already....

Cycloptichorn

I would be very interested in knowing how you would proceed if somehow it could be shown beyond doubt that she wants to live. Yes, I know it is almost certainly not possible. This is a thought experiment.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:40 pm
I would be glad to let her go if what you said was true.

She is damn well not in a coma--or in a vegetative state.

She has a right to die, and a right to live. She is unable to ask for either. Starving her would be wrong. And evil.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
Quote:
She is damn well not in a coma--or in a vegetative state.

Not according to anyone not hired by her parents, she's not.

You don't even know what evil is, Lash. Seriously. If you think allowing a brain-dead person to die is evil, you need to re-check yer worldview.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
..a brain-dead person...
Cycloptichorn

Now that is simply false. No one is even alleging that she's brain dead. Why do you find it necessary to present falsehoods to advance your point of view?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
You can't be BRAIN DEAD if you are able to open your eyes, move your body and be conscious, for God's sake. You don't know what you're talking about. Geesh.

You need to recheck your dictionary.

Unbelieveable.

If she was hooked up to machines--that were performing her bodily functions--I'd say turn them off.

She's not.
Why do you want her dead?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:45 pm
The conclusion of several doctors is that she's in a PVS. That's not the same thing as being brain-dead from a technical point of view, but it's close enough to let the poor lady go be with the God you people love so much.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:47 pm
So pathetic.

Obviously ignorant of more than a few facts re this issue.

A prerequisite for his views.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The conclusion of several doctors is that she's in a PVS. That's not the same thing as being brain-dead from a technical point of view, but it's close enough to let the poor lady go be with the God you people love so much.

Cycloptichorn

Well, the real bottom line seems to be that you feel no empathy for her whereas we do.
0 Replies