Jeb Bush for prez "08"

RexRed

Reply Sat 1 Jul, 2006 05:42 pm
ARPANET DEFINED

The precursor to the Internet, ARPANET was a "large" wide-area network created by the United States Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (ARPA). Established in 1969, ARPANET served as a testbed for new networking technologies, linking many universities and research centers. The first two nodes that formed the ARPANET were UCLA and the Stanford Research Institute, followed shortly thereafter by the University of Utah.

Comment:
Sounds like the internet to me, but it was only used for science and defence purposes... I have known this for years. You had to have scientific or defence credentials to log onto it. The science community was upset when it was opened to civilian use.

Of course it needed to be expanded for the world to join in but it was in theory a LARGE working network that email and other data types were able to be ported over.

Henry Ford invented the auto but not everyone had one in their driveway for years of come.

I would say HW Bush created the internet or WWW by signing into legislation the act that allowed civilian use of the ARPANET.

A thousand points of light... what was that all about?

Without private civilian use the ARPANET would have remained in the science and defence domain for may years to come. This is like saying Al Gore created the assembly line or mass production.

I happen to know a bit about this because my state "Maine" was the FIRST state in the entire USA to have fibre optic cable connecting all of the universities in the state... long before even Massachusetts or New York. Sound unbelievable? Read this...

Here is an interesting excerpt: From our Maine Governor "years ago".

And here's some really good news - we already have what is probably the best telecommunications system in the country - 80,000 miles of fiber optics, the country's first fully digitally switched network, the first state to have 100% of our schools and libraries on-line, and the installation this coming year of the nation's most advanced interactive TV system in our high schools.

But it gets better, because I am announcing tonight that this winter, Maine really goes on-line.

To anyone who has waited for an Internet site to open or a file to download, the key is speed and the key to speed is something called bandwidth - the size of the "pipe" that carries the phenomenal resources of the Internet to our homes and businesses.

In the age of e-commerce, bandwidth is the essential commodity. Just as the roads and railroads defined economic opportunity a century ago, these wires or the lack of them - will spell the economic difference between businesses, towns, and states in the new century.

And tonight, we're hitting the bandwidth jackpot.

First, Time Warner (now AOL-Time Warner) is extending their cable-based high speed internet service, called Roadrunner - now available only in the Portland area-to northern Maine. This means Presque Isle and New Sweden, Caribou and Limestone will have better Internet service than Boston or New York.

This will mark the first time Time Warner has deployed Roadrunner outside an urban area anywhere in the country. And it didn't happen by accident - it took commitment from within the company and persistent local leadership-and that leadership, that advocacy for this region, came from a great guy named Barry McCrum-who's here with us tonight. Barry, congratulations and thanks for what you've done for the County.

But what about the rest of the state? Here's the second part of our bandwidth bonanza -- Bell Atlantic, the folks who installed most of the fiber and those fast switches, will be bringing to Maine their own high speed Internet service over ordinary phone wires-called DSL -- within the next month. The service will be offered first in our major urban areas-Portland, Lewiston, Augusta, and Bangor, with further expansion to other areas of the state to follow. Ed Dinan, Vice President for Bell Atlantic in Maine, is here with us tonight.

I won't dwell on the importance of the Internet-in education, entertainment, health care, and particularly in business-but there's little doubt that these two announcements add up to a huge step for Maine, not into the middle of the pack, but to a position of real national leadership in access to technology.

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=157&languageId=1&contentId=16031

Where is Al Gore in all of this?

This was the doing of our Maine governor James Longley.

If Al gore was so busy creating the internet why wasn't his state ahead of the ball game when it came to connecting the universities?

I have had high speed internet for years and years.

I was numbered among the very FIRST customers for Road Runner.
Because of my techie friends I actually move to Portland Maine a year before broadband hit our state for that purpose alone. I was the envy of all of my engineer friends.

So I was one of the first people in the entire country to have broad band internet for real.

I remember not being able to wait till the cables were laid.

Maine was a network unto itself. I never once heard the name Al Gore used in relation to our internet service.

I have first hand experience. Anyone can check Road Runner's (Time Warner/AOL's) client lists I was one of the first people in the entire USA to have broadband and be connected to a statewide "internet"...

This had nothing to do with Al Gore that I know of. It had to do with our governor at the time and the Maine people.

I don't really call dial up "internet"...

But I was also on dial-up long before cable. Hanging out on MIRC...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 12:20 am
RexRed wrote:
I would say HW Bush created the internet or WWW by signing into legislation the act that allowed civilian use of the ARPANET.

Well, you would be wrong. The Arpanet is not the internet. Part of it was taken over by the military and is now the Defensenet, and the rest just died. No part of the Arpanet survives as the internet.

Al Gore sponsored a bill in 1986 which commissioned scientists to come up with a plan for a civilian computer network on a scale the world had never seen. They did. So in 1988, Gore sponsored another bill which put these recommendations into practice. It was passed in 1991, and the network we now call the internet was born.

Gore took the lead in sponsoring legislation which enabled scientists to plan and implement the internet. He never claimed to have taken the lead in developing computer networking-computer networks were around long before he ever got to Congress. But Gore did sponsor the legislation which commissioned scientists to draw up plans for the network we now call the internet, then sponsored new legislation which implemented those plans.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 01:07 am
Yea yea, Al Gore created mass production, I know...

Excerpt:
The earliest ideas of a computer network intended to allow general communication between users of various computers were formulated by J.C.R. Licklider of Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN) in August 1962, in a series of memos discussing his "Galactic Network" concept. These ideas contained almost everything that the Internet is today.

Comment:

The internet itself was envisioned/formulated/created before the ARPANET was even fully functional.

Al Gore didn't create anything, he just copied other peoples notes...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 01:24 am
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/J/C/gore_internet.jpg
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 08:02 am
RexRed wrote:
The internet itself was envisioned/formulated/created before the ARPANET was even fully functional.

RexRed wrote:

So, according to Rex here, the internet was created when George Bush 41 allowed civilian use of the Arpanet, except that the internet was created before the Arpanet was even functional.

Rex, you say one thing one post, and in the very next post you come out with the exact opposite. All the while posing as someone who has extensive knowledge of the subject.

You are obviously Googling all over the net, desperate to find an excerpt here, a small paragraph there, to try to minimize Gore's legislative contribution to the development of the internet. And you are failing badly.

To repeat, once again: The network we now call the internet was created when Al Gore sponsored legislation in 1986 commissioning scientists to draw up plans for the largest civilian network ever known, and then sponsored legislation putting these plans into effect. It was signed into law in 1991,and the network which we now call the internet was born.

Three things to remember.

A) The Arpanet is not the internet, never was. Period.

B) As for what happened in 1962, Jules Verne wrote about many ideas which became true, such as space travel and submarines. However, envisioning something in a general way and coming out with the concrete plans to make it happen are two different things entirely.

C) Gore spoke extensively-very extensively-about the "Information Superhighway" while running for Vice President in 1992, and nobody ever doubted his contribution to it back then. Only after the Information Superhighway got called the internet, and grew and became part of people's everyday lives, did people start twisting Gore's words and trying to take credit from him for the legislation he sponsored which enabled it to come into existence.

Back in 1992, the Republicans were glad to let Gore have credit for what he did, because they did not realize how big an advance the internet would turn out to be. Only when they realized how important the internet was did they turn the attack dogs loose on Gore.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2006 10:53 am
kelticwizard wrote:
RexRed wrote:

RexRed wrote:

So, according to Rex here, the internet was created when George Bush 41 allowed civilian use of the Arpanet, except that the internet was created before the Arpanet was even functional.

Rex, you say one thing one post, and in the very next post you come out with the exact opposite. All the while posing as someone who has extensive knowledge of the subject.

You are obviously Googling all over the net, desperate to find an excerpt here, a small paragraph there, to try to minimize Gore's legislative contribution to the development of the internet. And you are failing badly.

To repeat, once again: The network we now call the internet was created when Al Gore sponsored legislation in 1986 commissioning scientists to draw up plans for the largest civilian network ever known, and then sponsored legislation putting these plans into effect. It was signed into law in 1991,and the network which we now call the internet was born.

Three things to remember.

A) The Arpanet is not the internet, never was. Period.

B) As for what happened in 1962, Jules Verne wrote about many ideas which became true, such as space travel and submarines. However, envisioning something in a general way and coming out with the concrete plans to make it happen are two different things entirely.

C) Gore spoke extensively-very extensively-about the "Information Superhighway" while running for Vice President in 1992, and nobody ever doubted his contribution to it back then. Only after the Information Superhighway got called the internet, and grew and became part of people's everyday lives, did people start twisting Gore's words and trying to take credit from him for the legislation he sponsored which enabled it to come into existence.

Back in 1992, the Republicans were glad to let Gore have credit for what he did, because they did not realize how big an advance the internet would turn out to be. Only when they realized how important the internet was did they turn the attack dogs loose on Gore.

I quoted that excerpt from wikipedia...

Argue with them... haha

The earliest ideas of a computer network intended to allow general communication between users of various computers were formulated by J.C.R. Licklider of Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN) in August 1962, in a series of memos discussing his "Galactic Network" concept. These ideas contained almost everything that the Internet is today.

That was in 1962... when Al Gore was in High School.

For Al Gore to walk into something that was long on it's way to happening and say he "created" it is like saying scientists created the universe.

AL Gore made an order for hardware that was already made or invented and sitting Japan. It takes years for hardware to be created before it can even be installed. Then it takes software to even access this. Al Gore neither designs software or hardware...

So again did Al gore create mass production? Anyone can make an order for a bunch of servers that were already "invented" and have them set up. I consider that a small part in inventing or creating the internet or anything else.

Considering the servers were probably already "created" somewhere in Japan and the specks were created by the defence dept not Al Gore.

Al Gore probably doesn't even know what a "packet" is.

Al Gore is over his head on this one...

Civilian use was permitted by HW Bush so big business just couldn't wait for the internet to flourish. Al Gore was just their special interest stooge, as the left are easily bought off by big business regardless of the ethical and economic concerns. I am sure he was paid handsomely by special interest for "creating" the internet bubble... The internet was down on paper in schematics before it was ever implemented and LONG BEFORE Al Gore. The technology was invented before Al Gore was even in office.

All Al Gore created was the internet "bubble" that ruined the American economy and drove it into the Clinton recession. Al Gore stood by and watched everybody lose their shirts and did nothing... Where was homeland security then?

Up Monica Lewinsky's dress?

That's the only thing I give Al credit for... The internet bubble and the recession he caused.

This all by his relentless pushing of the internet technologies on the American people without researching and warning the US entrepreneur of the pitfalls associated with it.

Yes, Al Gore created the internet "bubble".

Then the left stood poised to reap from it by OVER taxing the business feebled by Al's big "bobble"....
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:46 am
kelticwizard wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Well, you would be wrong. The Arpanet is not the internet. Part of it was taken over by the military and is now the Defensenet, and the rest just died. No part of the Arpanet survives as the internet.

Al Gore sponsored a bill in 1986 which commissioned scientists to come up with a plan for a civilian computer network on a scale the world had never seen. They did. So in 1988, Gore sponsored another bill which put these recommendations into practice. It was passed in 1991, and the network we now call the internet was born.

Gore took the lead in sponsoring legislation which enabled scientists to plan and implement the internet. He never claimed to have taken the lead in developing computer networking-computer networks were around long before he ever got to Congress. But Gore did sponsor the legislation which commissioned scientists to draw up plans for the network we now call the internet, then sponsored new legislation which implemented those plans.

Keltic Wizard, I'm sure that I don't have to tell you that there are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Unfortunately, they have been living through the king of dumb & dumber the past 5 plus years and have been in hog heaven. I hope I live to see these fruitcakes regret the day they heard the name george bu$h.

It is interesting how they call themselves patriots while sitting on their ample arses watching this destructive, vindictive, nasty, vile puppet being maneuvered by Cheney and not having a clue what the hell is spewing from his own mouth most of the time. They are about as patriotic as the AWOL bu$h, cheney & others who sit in their AC offices or homes spewing whatever is forth coming from Faux Spews.

I haven't seen one of his followers here try to explain why doofamous announced within the past few days that we have a missile system to defend against N. Korea.

I hope this country manages to get back on track with our educational system as soon as Dumb & Dumber are gone. It will be fun to watch the igrorant ones scramble back into their dens.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 11:16 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/sameshitDifferentAsshole.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 11:03 pm
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/X/6/clinton_mylife_hillary.jpg
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 11:47 pm
{quote="RexRed"]The earliest ideas of a computer network intended to allow general communication between users of various computers were formulated by J.C.R. Licklider of Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN) in August 1962, in a series of memos discussing his "Galactic Network" concept. These ideas contained almost everything that the Internet is today.

That was in 1962... when Al Gore was in High School. [/quote]

So in 1962, people had an idea that computers would one day be connected on big network.

That means the internet was created in 1962?

Hey Rex, like I already said, Jules Verne was writing about space travel and submarines in the 1800's. Does that mean we credit him with the lunar landing or the Trident sub?

To repeat again:

A) The Arpanet is not and never was the internet. In fact, the part of the Arpanet which was not taken over by the military went defunct when the internet came into being.

B) The network that is now called the internet was created when Al Gore sponsored a bill which commissioned computer scientists to draw up the blueprints for the largest civilian network the world had ever seen, then in 1988 sponsored the legislation which put the plan into effect. It was signed in 1991.

He campaigned extensively on what he called The Information Superhighway back in 1992 when he was running for Vice President, and nobody had an doubts his contributions then. It was only when the internet became part of the American way of life later that the right wing attack dogs started twisting Gore's words and trying to take credit away from Gore for his accomplishments.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:02 am
RexRed wrote:
AL Gore made an order for hardware that was already made or invented and sitting Japan. It takes years for hardware to be created before it can even be installed. Then it takes software to even access this. Al Gore neither designs software or hardware...

.....Al Gore probably doesn't even know what a "packet" is.

Al Gore is over his head on this one...

And when Donald Trump builds a building, do you think that means he gets the wood and bricks and starts pushing a wheelbarrow?

I doubt Trump would even know how to hammer a nail. Or draw up blueprints for a single room. Yet nobody has ever claimed he has not built many buildings.

When a movie producer makes a movie, do you think he builds the sets, writes the dialog, and holds the camera? Very few movie producers would even know how to do any of these things. Yet nobody doubts that the producer is the one who makes the movie.

The man who makes the money available is the one who is credited with the creation. And Al Gore never claimed creation of the internet. He said he took the lead in creating the internet-which he did. His first bill in 1986 created the commission and provided the money for the plans for the civilian network now called the internet to be drawn up. His second bill in 1988, signed into law in 1991, created the commission and provided the funds for the plan to be put into place.

Of course the scientists did the technical work. Just as when Trump builds a building, the architects draw up the plans and the construction guys actually physically build the skyscraper.

I do believe this forum has a minimum age of 13. I would think such elementary concepts as this would not have to be explained to anyone above that age.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:08 am
kelticwizard wrote:
RexRed wrote:

That was in 1962... when Al Gore was in High School.

So in 1962, people had an idea that computers would one day be connected on big network.

That means the internet was created in 1962?

Hey Rex, like I already said, Jules Verne was writing about space travel and submarines in the 1800's. Does that mean we credit him with the lunar landing or the Trident sub?

To repeat again:

A) The Arpanet is not and never was the internet. In fact, the part of the Arpanet which was not taken over by the military went defunct when the internet came into being.

B) The network that is now called the internet was created when Al Gore sponsored a bill which commissioned computer scientists to draw up the blueprints for the largest civilian network the world had ever seen, then in 1988 sponsored the legislation which put the plan into effect. It was signed in 1991.

He campaigned extensively on what he called The Information Superhighway back in 1992 when he was running for Vice President, and nobody had an doubts his contributions then. It was only when the internet became part of the American way of life later that the right wing attack dogs started twisting Gore's words and trying to take credit away from Gore for his accomplishments.

It's difficult to argue with a straight face that the Internet we know today would not exist if Gore had decided to practice the piano instead of politics.

By the time Gore took notice of the Net around 1987, the basics were already in place. The key protocol, TCP/IP, was written and the culture of the Net had blossomed through Usenet and mailing lists, as chronicled in Eric Raymond's Jargon File. At best, Gore's involvement merely hastened its development.

Instead of the orderly interstate highway system that Gore had repeatedly used as metaphor, the spread of the Net has resembled something closer to a self-organizing, almost anarchic sprawl. Instead of a government/corporate-controlled system that might have looked like France's wretched Minitel system -- or, more charitably, a 500-channel interactive TV network -- the Net's popularity grew because of far more mundane applications like email and downloading porn.

And it's fair to say that other Gore pet projects, like the Clinton administration's abandoned Clipper chip, are hardly ways to protect privacy and security online and promote the development of this technology.

Then again, it's also true the Clipper chip was first concocted under a George Bush Sr. administration, and another Bush occupying the Oval Office might well have similar inclinations.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:51 am
Quote:
By the time Gore took notice of the Net around 1987, the basics were already in place.

A) The internet was not in existence in 1987. There were networks, but not the network which became the internet. When you capitalize the word Net, yoiu give the misleading impression that you are referring to the modern internet.

B) Al Gore did not "notice" the internet around 1987. By 1986 he had written a law commissioning computer experts to draw up specific plans for the largest civilian computer network in history. Then in 1988 he introduced the law commissioning and funding the effort to take the plan and put it in place. The network which was created is now known as the internet.

By the way, the previous post was NOT written by Rex Red. As soon as I saw the cogent sentence structure, I knew it was not the type of meandering, unfocused silliness that constitute most of Rex's posts. The words Rex is trying to claim for his own were written by writer Declan McCullaugh.

I think it is hilarious that Rex has spent several pages acting outraged that Al Gore took credit for something he supposedly didn't do, then Rex turns around and tries to claim credit for words somebody else wrote!
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:16 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/JebNGeorgeKissyFace.jpg
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:21 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/JacksGraphicsbushNoBrain.gif
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:26 pm
kelticwizard wrote:

By the way, the previous post was NOT written by Rex Red. As soon as I saw the cogent sentence structure, I knew it was not the type of meandering, unfocused silliness that constitute most of Rex's posts. The words Rex is trying to claim for his own were written by writer Declan McCullaugh.

I think it is hilarious that Rex has spent several pages acting outraged that Al Gore took credit for something he supposedly didn't do, then Rex turns around and tries to claim credit for words somebody else wrote!

This is not a first for Mr Red.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 02:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:26 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Quote:
By the time Gore took notice of the Net around 1987, the basics were already in place.

A) The internet was not in existence in 1987. There were networks, but not the network which became the internet. When you capitalize the word Net, yoiu give the misleading impression that you are referring to the modern internet.

B) Al Gore did not "notice" the internet around 1987. By 1986 he had written a law commissioning computer experts to draw up specific plans for the largest civilian computer network in history. Then in 1988 he introduced the law commissioning and funding the effort to take the plan and put it in place. The network which was created is now known as the internet.

And George Bush CREATED the IPOD.

And Laura Bush CREATED the pink IPOD mini.

I just can't keep from laughing every time you try to pull off that load of bull. Gore did not create the internet.

TCP/IP is the internet.

The internet is always expanding. Do you think the people writing internet protocols every envisioned the internet "growing"? Of course the did!

Al Gore has never written an internet protocol that I know of.

Al Gore expanded existing technologies. That is it. It was pushed on the American people by big business, smutty advertisement and all that sell out stuff.

Where education and science took a back seat.

The zeal of all of these business hungry people that Al Gore misled all lost their shirts in the "internet bubble" that nearly ruined our economy.

Clinton and Gore fiddled while the internet bubble popped.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:05 pm
dyslexia wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

I will admit I will not always quote my sources.

In that case I should have.

You have to figure out some of my sources on your own.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:12 pm
Problem has been in the past Mr Red that you deny the source and maintain the originality as your own.
0 Replies