blatham

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 10:56 pm
O'Hare airport today. 6 hour wait for baggage. 2-4 hours through customs. Everyone crammed together. Travelers from god knows where.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETHDca0XYAE6unH?format=jpg&name=medium

This is such a massive government failure. One week from now? Two weeks from now? Two months from now? Good god.

Less than 8 weeks ago

Quote:
Lee Fang
@lhfang
"We have it totally under control ... It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." -- President Donald Trump on hearing about coronavirus spreading in China and if it poses any pandemic threat to the U.S.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:02 pm
@blatham,
It kind of looks like Penn Station (NYC) on an average rush hour evening

(between the LIRR and NJ Transit there's almost always a problem, leading to huge crowds)
layman

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:10 pm
@blatham,
We're all gunna die, I tells ya!!
layman

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:19 pm
Quote:
Joe Biden's first "virtual town hall" was marred with technical gaffes and confusion, and ended after only five minutes.

The event was broadcast live on Facebook and conducted with Zoom, a business videoconferencing app. It got off to a confusing start with the presidential hopeful starting his remarks before the camera started recording.

At another point, Biden answered a question on endangered species by turning away from the camera and walking off the screen.

Less than five minutes in, the town hall abruptly ended, and Biden and his aide apologized for the problems.

Cancelled after 5 minutes because of "technical gaffes," eh? Well, that's their story and I suppose they'll stick to it. Whatever, it protects Biden from embarrassing himself yet again, so it's a good thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 11:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
We're all gunna die, I tells ya!!

Not me. I'm all bunkered down.

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-4137#post-6973546

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-4137#post-6973556
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 01:14 am
@layman,
That's no scoop. We're all mortal.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 01:16 am
@layman,
Are you a communist, layboy?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 01:17 am
@Olivier5,
True. But with some money you can prolong life

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-4138#post-6973595
Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 01:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh wow. I guess there are billions at stake with this vaccine.
hightor

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:15 am
Folks, we need to help out an addict. He wants desperately to quit, but can't maintain his resolve. Tormented by this knowledge of his inner failings he flails out wildly at those around him, embroiling himself more deeply in the very drama which he vowed to eschew, embarrassing himself yet again by demonstrating a lack of resolve which borders on the cringeworthy.

We need to help the creature who uttered this cry for help:

Quote:
I don't plan to get involved here any further. By and large it's just a complete waste of time. There is no reason to try to "debate" people whose only idea of debate is to attempt to insult, ridicule, and demean anyone who disagrees with their often absurd contentions. It's all they have, because rationality is not what guides their "thinking."

The community knows what to do. Help him help himself! We'll all be better off. Let's do the right thing.
oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:30 am
@hightor,
Layman's posts are a welcome addition to a2k. He helps balance out all the progressives here by providing factual posts.
hightor

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:44 am
@oralloy,
Don't be an enabler, oralloy. It's not about what's good for one side or the other on A2K. It's about helping an addict to show some backbone and quit his self-destructive behavior. Shame on you!
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:50 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/coronavirus-tsa-liquid-purell-paid-leave-rules.amp

One good thing about the coronavirus: people see through the bullshit veneer of this joke of a country.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 03:56 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
That is merely a slightly deceptive way of saying they (the "beneficiaries") have become dependent on the government program, and are no longer willing or able to fend for themselves. That's hardly a beneficial result.

You're sort of fixated on the "aid and dependence" thing — and leave out the "government responsive to their needs" element. Workplace safety, consumer protection, banking regulations, clean air and water statutes, laws to insure public health, and funds and agencies to provide disaster relief — these are all reasons why people might choose to support one party over another and have nothing to do with becoming government dependents. They have everything to do with the role of government in general, anywhere, anytime.

The problem of poverty is a different order of business. Unwilling or unable to address the causes, we apply band-aids. But these band-aids are an important component of a healthy society. Allowing portions of the population to remain hungry, sick, and penniless causes even greater problems in the long run. It's unconscionable to ignore such conditions and allow them to fester. I'd like to see more than the application of band-aids but for now it's all we've got. I still hold that welfare expenses do more good than harm but if we're really serious about breaking the cycle of generational and community dependence, structural changes to our economy are in order. If you want people to work to earn a living, they need education, training and, most importantly, actual jobs.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:09 am
@hightor,
Posting facts is only self destructive when progressives have the power to harm truth-tellers.

Progressives everywhere wish that they had Stalinist power to harm those who tell the truth. But thankfully progressives outside of Venezuela and North Korea lack such power.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 04:25 am
Sorry, @CoryBooker. As much as I want to take pleasure in voting against Donald Trump, I can not vote for @JoeBiden or remain loyal to a party where someone like him is acceptable. It's not easy for me, but it's the Democratic party I'm canceling.

#CancelBiden
#BernieOrBust
#BernieBeatsTrump
#FuckAroundAndFindOut
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:44 am
@Sturgis,
I've been in Penn during rush hour. But recent photos I've seen show it to be considerably less packed.
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:47 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Oh wow. I guess there are billions at stake with this vaccine.

Oh yes. The greedy corners of humanity will be (are) hot on this one.
hightor

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:49 am
@blatham,
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Feluxemagazine.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F04%2Foverpopulated.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:50 am
@hightor,
Whatever will help. If I had his address, I could mail him my copy of 101 Strings by Mantovani to help him through this difficult transition.
0 Replies