Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:53 am
@blatham,
Considering that a hefty financial incentive can speed up research, I don't mind too much.
snood

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:57 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Oh wow. I guess there are billions at stake with this vaccine.

Oh yes. The greedy corners of humanity will be (are) hot on this one.

Did you hear about the one guy who emptied all the shelves of hand sanitizer in a large swath of the stores in Tennessee - hoping to make a killing selling them on Amazon? Amazon shut him down and outed him - he’s stuck with 1700+ bottles of the stuff.

An interesting aspect of the story ...
After his identity was revealed I see an argument happening online with a lot of people defending his attempted gouging as good old Yankee ingenuity and the American way.
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 05:57 am
@hightor,
Amazing how our new sensitivity to viral spread alters perceptions of a photo like that one. I'm not sure what's going on here but I could not identify a female anywhere in that crowd.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:00 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Considering that a hefty financial incentive can speed up research, I don't mind too much.

Nothing wrong with trying to hoard the vaccine to Americans only, as a political ploy?
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:00 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
That's a positive element, yes. But you understand the related possibilities and consequences of how pathological levels of selfishness can do far more damage than good.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:03 am
@snood,
Quote:
After his identity was revealed I see an argument happening online with a lot of people defending his attempted gouging as good old Yankee ingenuity and the American way.
Not just there. It happened in Vancouver, Canada as well. And interviewed by a reporter who happened on the fellow as he was working on his second truckload that day, the fellow bragged about running a smart "hustle".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:08 am
But look. We're getting all worked up about nothing. As soon as Trump's National Prayer Day comes to a close, the virus will be made powerless and all our woes will be over. Am I right or am I right?

But come to think of it, maybe just praying won't be enough. Perhaps all the homosexuals have to be burned alive.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:09 am
@snood,
What i agree with is the financial incentive. I totally disagree with poaching scientists from other teams. At times like these, it's disruptive and thus unhelpful. So maybe too much financial incentive is a bad thing but the companies wirking on a vaccine wouldn't do it if not for the financial incentive.

As for the idea to hoard a vaccine for only one country, i am not worried. I don't think any drug company would do that. They will sell the stuff to the highest bidder.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:22 am
There's a huge piece up on Trump's court appointees at the NYT

If you are very nerdy on this matter, you might want to read it or glance through. But it is very much concerned with the contemporary picture and really goes no way to developing a historical perspective on how this came about. Even to refer to this as "Trump's" change of the courts is terribly misleading. It would not matter if it had been Trump or Cruz or any of the other GOP candidates. This is a conservative movement project and the president a mere necessary hand with a pen. The front page title of the piece indicates this...
"A Conservative Agenda Unleashed on the Federal Courts" but this long piece does not really delve into that historical aspect at all. And it's important because just getting rid of Trump goes nowhere towards understanding how this came about and therefore how to actually correct it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:35 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Sorry, @CoryBooker. As much as I want to take pleasure in voting against Donald Trump, I can not vote for @JoeBiden or remain loyal to a party where someone like him is acceptable. It's not easy for me, but it's the Democratic party I'm canceling.

#CancelBiden
#BernieOrBust
#BernieBeatsTrump
#FuckAroundAndFindOut

As regards the likes of you, who will stay pure and true to the vision that Bernie would effect radical change in American government, that he is the only one who would try to, and that this purity is worth letting Trump win:

I, and millions of others can only hope that there are not enough of you to hinder the wave of everyday, sane and fed-up people who will use our vote to rid ourselves of the loathsome disease festering in the White House.

If our hope is borne out, one very welcome result will be that we will be much freer to see the narrow-minded, insulting, nattering noise that you will undoubtably keep making as truly irrelevant.

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:40 am
Quote:
With unprecedented force and speed, a global recession is likely taking hold
WP

Unpossible!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:44 am
@snood,
The disease in the White House preceded Trump and will stay as long as buffoons like you vote for **** like Biden.

Wake up!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:46 am
@snood,
We knew with certainty that Lash would end up here. It's where she started and it's where she lives. Attacking the Democrats is her entire oeuvre. Always has been.
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:54 am
@blatham,
We knew blatham and snood would try to pretend that their racist, brain-melted presidential candidate is just dandy. That’s their entire oeuvre: look the other way and avoid searing reality.

It’s how they live. Always has been. Remain blind to the truth about their political party and live down in the crevasses of detail about the other one.

Why can’t you look at both critically?
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:56 am
Citing coronavirus concerns, a federal judge blocks the Trump administration’s food stamp cuts

Let those undeserving low-lives die. It's a matter of social efficiency. Jesus talked about this in his Sermon on the Mount.
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 06:59 am
@Sturgis,
Series of photos from New York as it is now
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 07:04 am
Quote:
The National Education Association Endorses Joe Biden

Joe Biden earned a formidable labor endorsement on Saturday night: America’s largest union, the National Education Association, formally backed Biden as the Democratic Party’s presidential nominee, and pledged to mobilize its three million members — most of whom are women — on his behalf.
NYMag

This is the union that the right really, really wants to destroy. It has always been a key source of support for the Dems in funding, activism and in organizational assistance. A further and more recently conceived benefit in killing/disempowering it, conservatives hope, is to move education into a profit-generating private enterprise. Lotsa money involved.
hightor

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 07:07 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Why can’t you look at both critically?

I have, and one always comes off as nowhere near perfect, but certainly much better.

Why do you think Sanders affiliates with one and not the other?
blatham

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 07:22 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Why do you think Sanders affiliates with one and not the other?

I recall as a child being carried on my uncle's shoulders playing piggy-back. It's fun.
snood

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2020 07:26 am
@blatham,
That sounds suspiciously close to shading Sanders’ motivation for preferring one party over the other as less than purely ideologically driven. For shame.
0 Replies