Are you watching the World Cup?

Olivier5

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:44 am
Did you see the Uruguayan defender crying openly a few minutes before the end, when there was almost no chance to catch up anymore? That was kinda touching.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 01:53 pm
@Olivier5,
To say in the three official languages:
Félicitations, Belgique! Gefeliciteerd, België! Glückwunsch, Belgien!

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 02:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Fair play to em. Just a European affair now.
lmur

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Terrific performances by both France and Belgium. Really looking forward to their semi-final next Tuesday.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 05:01 pm
@lmur,
I can't think that far ahead.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 06:07 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Did you see the Uruguayan defender crying openly a few minutes before the end, when there was almost no chance to catch up anymore? That was kinda touching.

For me, it's the kids of about 8 years that the cameras pick up and who've traveled perhaps 10,000 miles to support their team. When the loss is imminent, their grief is profound.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 06:42 pm
Quote:
.In today’s modern Galaxy there is, of course, very little still held to be unspeakable. Many words and expressions which only a matter of decades ago were considered so distastefully explicit that were they merely to be breathed in public, the perpetrator would be shunned, barred from polite society, and, in extreme cases, shot through the lungs, are now thought to be very healthy and proper, and their use in everyday speech is seen as evidence of a well-adjusted, relaxed, and totally unf [bleep!] ked-up personality.

So, for instance, when in a recent national speech, the financial minister of the Royal World Estate of Qualvista actually dared to say that due to one thing and another, and the fact that no one had made any food for awhile and the king seemed to have died, and that most of the population had been on holiday now for over three years, the economy had now arrived at what he called, “One whole juju-flop situation,” everyone was so pleased he felt able to come out and say it, that they quite failed to notice that their five-thousand-year-old civilisation had just collapsed overnight. But though even words like “juju-flop,” “swut,” and “turlingdrome” are now perfectly acceptable in common usage, there is one word that is still beyond the pale.

The concept it embodies is so revolting that the publication or broadcast of the word is utterly forbidden in all parts of the galaxy except one - where they don’t know what it means. That word is “Belgium” and it is only ever used by loose-tongued people like Zaphod Beeblebrox in situations of dire provocation

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:49 pm
For the first time in my life, Mexicans rooted massively against Brazil in a game not against Mexico.
The Neymar Factor.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 05:01 am
@fbaezer,
What's the problem with Neymar?
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 05:12 am
@Olivier5,
I think it is an emotional response tied to ethnicity. And it probably wouldn't be the case had Neymar not made application to legally change his name to Lawrence Olivier.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 05:16 am
@Izzy
Best of luck today.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 05:31 am
@blatham,
Wimbledon, qualifying in Silverstone, the Tour in the Vendée, and Samara, all at the same time.

But don't wave with the Saint George's flag to offensively: Italian mayor demands England pay 247 years' worth of royalties for using St George's flag
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 08:35 am
@Olivier5,
His faking injuries and fouls.
Plus he made fun of Mexico’s loss against them.

Yes, we’re kind of sore losers.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 08:49 am
@fbaezer,

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 10:03 am
@blatham,
Thank you. For those of you wondering what that song fragment you keep hearing is. Ponder no more.

Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Our hearts were ringing
In the key that our souls were singing
As we danced in the night
Remember how the stars stole the night away

Hey hey hey
Ba de ya, say do you remember
Ba de ya, dancing in September
Ba de ya, never was a cloudy day

Ba duda, ba duda, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda, badu
Ba duda, badu, ba duda

My thoughts are with you
Holding hands with your heart to see you
Only blue talk and love
Remember how we knew love was here to stay
Now December found the love that we shared in September
Only blue talk and love
Remember the true love we share today

Hey hey hey
Ba de ya, say do you remember
Ba de ya, dancing in September
Ba de…

Except we sing, On and on, say do you remember
On and on, dancing in September.

How do we keep a tune? We have our own bloody band that's how.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/09/12/00054E771000044C-3633022-image-a-29_1465471032256.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
For the first time since 28 years not going home early ...

Looking back on when we first met,
I cannot escape and I cannot forget,
Southgate you're the one, you still turn me on,
You can bring it home again!

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The only thing normal about this is that England are facing another must win game. We usually do that in the group stage.

Btw, good clean game. Kudos to the Swedes for fair play and putting on a decent game that could have gone either way were it not for some incredible saves by Jason Pickford.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 02:52 pm
Thank **** we're not playing Russia, not with all the **** that's going on right now.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 02:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Croatia defeats Russia
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 02:54 pm
@glitterbag,
I know, I was watching.
0 Replies