Are you watching the World Cup?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:51 pm
@blatham,
Liz? She'll have been watching The One Show. It's not got horses, football's a bit working class for 'er madge.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 02:39 pm
What an upset!
glitterbag

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 02:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yikes!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 02:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
Doesn't feel like an upset to me. I think Croatia showed the form it's shown all tournament.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 02:54 pm
@engineer,
half of the pubs in Toronto have gone dark
another portion is full of singing and dancing
can't lose for winning here

just listened to an interview with a local Croatian cafe owner. she's wondering where she's going to get enough burek for the party Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 03:16 pm
@engineer,
Certainly, they've won some very grueling matches. They have been the dark horse of the tournament. I had the sense that they'd go far in the knock-out stage. But that side of the bracket was seen as the weaker one with England being the only top tier team, by way of it's World Cup win in '66. It was England's bracket to lose.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 03:22 pm
England achieved their best result in 28 years, and if they win on Saturday, it will be their best result since 1966.
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 05:19 pm
@Kolyo,
England won't be playing Saturday.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 05:34 pm
@engineer,
third place playoff is Saturday

an hour before the final game

odds are apparently in Belgium's favour
engineer

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah, my mistake. I guess Wimbledon isn't safe after all.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:49 pm
Just watched the match. I was rooting for England (my dad was a transplanted limey) but as I watched, I saw Croatia slowly take control of the game and I was impressed. The final is going to be fun.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:51 pm
@izzythepush,
My condolences. Please do not beat up your wife.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 09:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

odds are apparently in Belgium's favour

If we beat them, it will be our best win of the tournament.

Not only are they generally considered to be the better team, but they will be playing on three days rest, versus two for us.
Kolyo

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 09:37 pm
Fyi, no one of any importance voted down my previous post.

The mad thumber was at work again, strafing yet another thread, and I was able to fix everyone's score but my own.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 01:00 am
@blatham,
My wife died in 2004.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 03:05 am
@Kolyo,
The Belgian players apparently believe that they deserved this world cup, that their team was better than anybody else, and that somehow the French win over them in semis was unfair. I can't say, didn't see the game...

So not only will they be better rested Saturday, they will also be super-motivated to prove their worth.
blatham

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
I had no idea. Very sorry. There was a news piece up that day which detailed the statistics on notable increases in domestic violence in England following losses in important games. Thus my post.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 06:40 am
@Olivier5,
Do you have a link? I think the Belgians are pretty darn good, but the French have been the standard this tournament so far. Defense is often underrated, but the French D completely shut down that powerful Belgian front line and that speaks volumes to me.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:16 am
@engineer,
Quote:
"I prefer to lose with Belgium than win with France," [midfielder] Hazard told reporters after the game. "We play most beautifully. That's more my style."

[...] Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, meanwhile, said that France's tactics made the game "frustrating."

"We lost against a team that I don't think were better than us," Courtois told Onda Cero radio. " [...] "Each team that loses a semi-final thinks [they have missed an opportunity]. If you lose against a team that has played better, you say good, congratulations, because they have been better. I do not have that feeling today."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/belgium/story/3562211/eden-hazard-i-prefer-to-lose-with-belgium-than-win-with-france

A lot of that has to do with the huge expectations risen by Belgium "golden generation".
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:47 pm
There's two thumbsdown monkeys now... All posts on this page are at -1 as of writing.

Have fun, little monkeys!