Any Suggestions on What Can Be Winning [Strategy] For Democrats?

Blickers

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 02:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The notion that having a pistol grip on their gun will make someone decide to go on a killing spree is ludicrous.

And yet, that's exactly what increasing numbers of people are doing. As stated before, here is a list in the last six years alone:

June 20, 2012: James Eagan Holmes, 24, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber Smith and Wesson rifle with a 100-round magazine, a 12-gauge Remington shotgun and two .40-caliber Glock semi-automatic pistols to kill 12 and injure 58 at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo.

Dec. 14, 2012: Adam Lanza, 20, used an AR-15-style rifle, a .223-caliber Bushmaster, to kill 27 people — his mother, 20 students and six teachers — in Newtown, Conn., before killing himself.

June 7, 2013: John Zawahri, 23, used an AR-15-style .223-caliber rifle and a .44-caliber Remington revolver to kill five and injure three at a home in Santa Monica, Calif., before he was killed.

March 19, 2015: Justin Fowler, 24, used an AR-15 to kill one and injure two on a street in Little Water, N.M., before he was killed.

May 31, 2015: Jeffrey Scott Pitts, 36, used an AR-15 and .45-caliber handgun to kill two and injure two at a store in Conyers, Ga., before he was killed.

Oct. 31, 2015: Noah Jacob Harpham, 33, used an AR-15, a .357-caliber revolver and a 9mm semi-automatic pistol to kill three on a street in Colorado Springs, Colo., before he was killed.

Dec. 2, 2015: Syed Rizwyan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, 28 and 27, used two AR-15-style, .223-caliber Remington rifles and two 9 mm handguns to kill 14 and injure 21 at his workplace in San Bernardino, Calif., before they were killed.

June 12, 2016: Omar Mateen, 29, used an AR-15 style rifle (a Sig Sauer MCX), and a 9mm Glock semi-automatic pistol to kill 49 people and injure 50 at an Orlando nightclub before he was killed.

Oct. 1, 2017: Stephen Paddock, 64, used a stockpile of guns including an AR-15 to kill 58 people and injure hundreds at a music festival in Las Vegas before he killed himself.

Nov. 5, 2017: Devin Kelley, 26, used an AR-15 style Ruger rifle to kill 26 people at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, before he was killed.

Feb. 14, 2018: Police say Nikolas Cruz, 19, used an AR-15-style rifle to kill at least 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla.

Oh yeah, just to add to the list, two kids in Virginia Beach were all set to take a semiauto assault weapon to the prom to start blowing people away, but they were caught before they could start.

Blickers

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 02:37 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
There is also the fact that a ban on pistol grips would be a grave violation of our human rights.

They banned assault-style weapons for 10 years from 1994-2004 and not a single court challenge was successful. Your right to bear arms does not include a right to own an assault rifle, even one set at the factory to fire in semiautomatic mode instead of automatic.
oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 04:23 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
And yet, that's exactly what increasing numbers of people are doing.
There is no reason to think that having a pistol grip on their gun made these guys decide to go on a murder spree. That would be like saying that red paint on a car makes people decide to drive above the speed limit.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2018 04:24 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
They banned assault-style weapons for 10 years from 1994-2004 and not a single court challenge was successful.
The fact that the government perpetrated such a grave violation of our human rights is exactly why it must never be allowed to have centralized gun registration or comprehensive background checks.

Blickers wrote:
Your right to bear arms does not include a right to own an assault rifle, even one set at the factory to fire in semiautomatic mode instead of automatic.
That is incorrect. A law is allowed to restrict a constitutional right only if the restriction can be justified with a very good reason. There is no justification for banning pistol grips.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2018 08:22 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Putting the Obamas, Clintons and Biden in a room somewhere untill nov 6 2019 would be a good start

That would be a good way to see how far left Democrats will go. They could be better off letting them talk.

It's actually more because the mere mention of their names never fails to get the right all riled up, as evidenced by the fact that you guys simply can't stop talking about them.

And how far left would it be to truly invest in education of the kids that everyone ostensibly cares so damned much about? Wanna see how selfish Americans really can be? Try suggesting rural and inner city schools get the same funding and resources as those in wealthy suburbs...

But it almost looks as though president Trump is shooting for some sort of return to the industrial revolution:

"We on Team Trump are astonished by the argument that America's future is in the services sector, and Americans don't want 'dirty' jobs in steel furnaces. ... So to the financiers on Wall Street who look down their noses at manufacturing jobs ... you should get out more often to the Heartland and see what Main Street and Trump country really look like" says Peter Navarro.

That's some right folksy ideology. Never mind that he's looking down his nose at everyone else, but the people who embody this administration's Rockwellian vision of simple Americans ought to be equally insulted. But I get why they're not.

So the right wants to create shitty jobs, and the left wants to raise wages for those shitty jobs. Cool beans. We'll just keep the schools as they are, be sure those poor kids aren't afforded even a whiff of dignity, and we'll leave the services sector (you know, Trump and Navarro's line of work) to those of a more blue-blooded stock.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2018 09:36 am
@thack45,
Quote:
It's actually more because the mere mention of their names never fails to get the right all riled up, as evidenced by the fact that you guys simply can't stop talking about them.

Would that be like Russia, Russia, and more Russia? You have no room to talk. Comparing Obama to Trump is a wonderful talking for the Right. His 8 years were a disaster for our military, the economy, and our national security. As far as the Clintons that speaks for itself. Bill is a predator and Killary is a rotten and corrupt criminal.
Quote:
America's future is in the services sector,

We have been a service based economy for quite a while, where have you been?

StiofanM

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 06:50 am
@Real Music,
The DNC should increase diversity of thought within their ranks, and support people who might disagree with the inner star chamber on particular issues. When was the last time you heard of a current Blue Dog Democrat?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 07:49 am
Obama's retrospective approval rating is 63%. That puts him #4 in the last 10 presidents. Kennedy is highest of course (given the assassination) at 86. Reagan 72 and Papa Bush 64.

Obama was a success in the eyes of the majority of Americans.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 08:55 am
@thack45,
Quote thack:
Quote:
So the right wants to create shitty jobs, and the left wants to raise wages for those shitty jobs. Cool beans.

Economically, more jobs, even at a lesser wage, is better than a sudden drop in jobs, (which is otherwise called a Depression). Before you can get a raise, you first have to have a job. Higher wages for industrial jobs have coincided historically with greater percentages of home ownership, higher education and improved living standards. What's not to like?

Of course, over the course of the next 20 years, robots will be taking over manufacturing, so most of the jobs will be in directing the machines. But we still need an industrial base to make the change happen.
revelette1

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 09:13 am
@Blickers,
I am wondering what is your thought on what a winning strategy is for democrats this coming mid-terms and the next presidential election?
Blickers

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:08 am
@revelette1,
Honestly, revellette, I don't know. I grew up in the fifties and sixties during the Cold War, when the Cincinnatti Reds baseball team had to change their name for a few years to the Cincinnatti Redlegs lest they be associated with Russians. So when the Russian connection to Trump was established, I figured poof!-instant elimination from public office.

Admittedly the height of the Cold War was awhile ago, but the atrocities in Russia continue and I figured that there would still be a horrified reaction to Russians infiltrating or having influence on us. I'm shocked that the public reaction to Russians having control over the present Administration has not brought forth more public outrage than it has, or that Trump has not been turned out of office yet.

I still think we must pursue the Russian investigation, but it looks like it might not be enough alone to win, we have to offer something more. The Republicans' plans to tear down Roosevelt's and Kennedy's safety nets, (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid) should be driving the elderly to the Democrats, but the Republicans' media machine seems to have them all worried more about who is using public bathrooms and people crossing the border than the fact that the GOP is cooking up ways to pull the rug right out from under retirees.

You would think that more and more of the country's wealth going to the top 1% and less and less to the rest of us would catch fire, but not so far.

So I have to admit, I really don't know which direction to move in. Democrats have been absolutely killing the Republicans in the special elections since 2017, outdoing their 2016 popularity by 15 points and taking even traditionally Republican districts, so we're looking good. Outside of the traditional strategy of maximizing your opponents' scandals, I really don't know what overall strategy we should take. I don't have access to various focus groups and all the rest of tools of campaign strategy, so I really don't know the best way to succeed.

One thing I think we should concentrate on, though, is to stop tearing ourselves apart. Looking across the internet and YouTube, I see allegedly progressive people and groups who regard "establishment Democrats" as the enemy more than the Republicans, and I begin to wonder how many are just misguided and how many are right wingers or Russians hoping to keep Trump in power. If the Democrats take the House, you can be sure impeachment is likely to follow, so you know the Russians will be busy on social media trying to break the Democrats up into warring factions.
revelette1

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:34 am
@Blickers,
Thank you. I agree you in most if not all what you say. In my opinion, that kind of toxic so called progressive divisiveness played a lot into Hillary Clinton campaign in the general and had some impact on the result with some of them voting for Trump or a third party. It truly made no sense at all. I see it playing out again in some of these threads. I am glad that they spoken out and got more left so to speak as it gets the conversation back on helping the middle and lower classes rather than just Wall Street economy so to speak. However, a lot of their language just hurts their cause and regular democrats both. It is a problem.

I think when Mueller comes out with his report and it is distributed to the news and the internet, it will make a difference one way or another. But I think most people are kind of Russian fatigued, it don't much in this day and age for the public to get these fatigues.

In my opinion, a winning strategy is to concentrate on most of Bernie's points during the last election, bread and butter issues which all Americans face in their daily lives and leave off with all that nonsense about "establishment" which brings to mind nothing but those in the sixties who were going on about the establishment. Stick to what democrats care and know about the most, bread and butter issues for working families. Just my opinion.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:11 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Stick to what democrats care and know about the most, bread and butter issues for working families.

The only families Democrats care about are illegal immigrant families.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:18 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
The only families Democrats care about are illegal immigrant families
My great grandparents were seeking refuge from Pogroms in Tsarist Russia , so Ill wear that as a proud cheese eatin carer of immigrants.
Unless youre a Native American .

Yaa know, I have no idea what the GOP stands for today (Friday early PM). I think they need to get Trumps head out of his sphincter. The pressure makes him seem a bit off the rails. IS HE on coke ya think?? very time he talks hes sniffing and he goes from manic to mellow in flashes..
coldjoint

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:26 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
My great grandparents were seeking refuge from Pogroms in Tsarist Russia

So in their honor we will ruin our country by allowing anyone who shows up in.

No.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:46 pm
@coldjoint,
If the KNOWNOTHINGS ever lasted , theyd sound like you. They were against the "Romanist invasion", you clowns are against Muslims and Hispanics.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:50 pm
@coldjoint,
PS, can you shed any light in what the **** you Plumpities are FOR "" this hour. Our batshit addled president seems to not be able to keep anything strait in his head.

Trump is,

1Always high on som kind of med or drug

2. Entering the sunrise of Dementia

3. Is dumb as a barrel of silt

Choose one.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:55 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
1Always high on som kind of med or drug

2. Entering the sunrise of Dementia

3. Is dumb as a barrel of silt

Why don't you choose one and prove it? Should I wait?
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 09:29 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Would that be like Russia, Russia, and more Russia? You have no room to talk. Comparing Obama to Trump is a wonderful talking for the Right. His 8 years were a disaster for our military, the economy, and our national security. As far as the Clintons that speaks for itself. Bill is a predator and Killary is a rotten and corrupt criminal.

I don't get in to the Russia stuff much, so I guess I do have room. Yay! But I'll give you comparing Barry to Trump. That is basic polickin.

Quote:
We have been a service based economy for quite a while, where have you been?

Are you asking me, or Navarro?
coldjoint

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 09:36 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
Are you asking me, or Navarro?

Well, what do you think? Or are you going to tell me where you have been?