Any Suggestions on What Can Be Winning [Strategy] For Democrats?

coldjoint

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 09:39 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
authoritarian fascist dictator

How so? You have nothing but the lies you repeat. Tell me one fascist thing he has done?
Real Music

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 12:07 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
How so? You have nothing but the lies you repeat. Tell me one fascist thing he has done?
Your comment is completely off topic. I prefer not getting off topic of this thread. But, in this particular case I will do so by responding to your question.

coldjoint

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 12:15 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Since your comment is completely off topic,

Trump is not the topic? Who are Democrats planning to defeat? Wouldn't anything to do with that be a part of the strategy? So far you are using the present strategy of whining and lying. That is really all Democrats will ever be capable of.

Turn off the lights, the party is over. The Democrats will be as dead as a lot of the voters.
Real Music

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 12:28 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Trump is not the topic? Who are Democrats planning to defeat? Wouldn't anything to do with that be a part of the strategy?

Your direct question was: Tell me one fascist thing has Trump done? Although, your specific question has nothing to do with this thread, I still went ahead and responded to your question. What does this specific question has to do with this thread?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2018 01:41 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
What does this specific question has to do with this thread?

You are on your own.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 07:00 am
A winning strategy is to keep doing what they are doing.

Getting younger candidates to spread their ideas as outlined in the DNC party platform.

Resisting the worst parts of Trumps agenda as best they can while not being completely obstructionist and shutting down government.

Explaining and remind people how these shitty Republican ideas don’t usually work.

Keep on keeping on.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:07 am
It is really quite simple. Democrats need to focus on economic issues and drop the culture war and its constant stream of outrage.

If you alienate middle Americans, it is very difficult to win national elections. And, that is what Democrats are doing, which is why Republicans control the White House, both houses of Congress and the Supreme Court as well as most state houses and legislatures.

As Bill Maher pointed out... liberals are winning the culture war, and losing elections.

Right after Trump won the election with over 40% of the female vote, the liberals responded by flooding the streets with pink hats. They somehow trick themselves into thinking that pink hats are more important than votes, and anger is more important than sound policy.

Angry women in pink hats will never win national elections. The Democrats need to learn that their strength is sound economic and social policy with a positive message rather than constant outrage.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 09:17 am
This is comedy, but it is also true. Bill Maher is the only one saying this. Any liberal who wants to know why they keep losing elections should watch this.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:04 am
I think if the Democrats support Bernie’s candidacy for 2020 and adopt progressive ideals, they’ll win.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 10:05 am
And if they retread last time's "strategy" they will lose.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If you alienate middle Americans, it is very difficult to win national elections.
To this wisdom, I add: We don't like it very much when liberals try to ban our guns for no reason.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:25 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
If you alienate middle Americans, it is very difficult to win national elections.
To this wisdom, I add: We don't like it very much when liberals try to ban our guns for no reason.

I hate to break it to you, but you are not a middle American. Your views would be considered extreme (in a mathematical sense... polls disagree with you) in several areas.

I think that "reasonable gun control" is a winning issue for the Democrats. Most NRA zealots are never going to vote for Democrats anyway. Reasonable restrictions on certain weapons and background checks are supported by most Americans including important swing voters.

Hillary lost because she attacked people, rather than focusing on positive policies.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 11:42 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I think if the Democrats support Bernie’s candidacy for 2020 and adopt progressive ideals, they’ll win.

I guess the people that pay no income tax and are dependent on the government would love it. The taxpayers not so much. We cannot afford what Bernie wants, and it is unrealistic to think that we can and remain a democratic republic if his policies are enacted.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 12:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but you are not a middle American.

I hate to break it to you, but you do not determine what and who is a middle American. Some, a lot of them, people just do not belong to the precious groups progressives wish to manipulate, they are individuals.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 12:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but you are not a middle American. Your views would be considered extreme (in a mathematical sense... polls disagree with you) in several areas.

I think that "reasonable gun control" is a winning issue for the Democrats. Most NRA zealots are never going to vote for Democrats anyway. Reasonable restrictions on certain weapons and background checks are supported by most Americans including important swing voters.
I remind you of Obama's shattered second term. When he devoted all of his political capital to trying to violate the Second Amendment, he failed hard and ended up achieving nothing at all in his second term. Then in 2016, after six years of a do-nothing presidency, the voters were ready for change and put Trump in the White House.

Wasting all of your energy trying to violate the rights of Americans who are not about to let their rights be violated will result in a victory for Republicans every single time.

maxdancona wrote:
Hillary lost because she attacked people, rather than focusing on positive policies.
She lost because the voters were ready for a change after six years of a do-nothing presidency.

Had Obama done something useful with his second term, she could have rode on his coattails and the election would not have been close enough for Trump to win.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 12:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I remind you of Obama's shattered second term.

Your use of the phrase "second term" shows the flaw in your reasoning. Obama ended his term with a 60% approval rating.

I just checked, non-partisan polls say that about 67% of Americans support a ban "assault" weapons. And a slightly higher amount support stricter background checks and closing loop holes.

The NRA has politicians by the balls because they control gerrymandered districts. But they don't represent the majority of Americans.

If the Democrats craft policies that includes restricting guns that can kill many people in a short period of time increasing background checks, and closing loopholes on who can purchase guns... they will make inroads in middle America. They will also enrage the right... but they aren't voting for Democrats anyway.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 12:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
about 67% of Americans support a ban "assault" weapons.

That is ridiculous since Americans cannot decide what an "assault" weapon is.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 01:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Your use of the phrase "second term" weakens your already flawed reasoning.
Can you point out any of the supposed flaw in my reasoning? Or explain the supposed additional weakness?

Obama did waste all of the political capital in his second term trying to violate the Second Amendment did he not?

And after having wasted all of his political capital, did he achieve anything in his second term?

And after six years of a do-nothing presidency, were the voters in the mood for a serious change in 2016?

Go ahead and try to point out any flaws or weaknesses in anything I've said.

maxdancona wrote:
I just checked, non-partisan polls say that about 67% of Americans support a ban "assault" weapons.
If you try to violate the Second Amendment again, you will achieve nothing again. And the Republicans will have yet another victory over do-nothing Democrats on election day.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 01:04 pm
@oralloy,
All I am pointing out is that you (and Coldjoint) are not with the majority of Americans on this issue. You have view on the Second Amendment that most Americans don't share. Maybe you are right and most Americans are wrong about the Second Amendment... but that doesn't matter, we are talking about electoral politics.

Democrats should craft a positive message where they define what they mean by "assault rifles" and then explain why they should be banned. They should also craft clear policies on background checks and closing loopholes.

These are all things that are supported by the majority of Americans. That's how you win elections.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2018 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
That's how you win elections.

It sure has not looked like it. The Dems have been losing since 2010.
0 Replies