Survivor 10: Palau

Debra Law

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:27 pm
sozobe wrote:
Can't STAND Katie, which makes me think she'll be around for a while...

Katie is entertaining for her total lack of common sense and overwhelming stupidity.

Who did Katie want to go with to the finals? Why did Katie whine to Ian that it might be better for HIM to knock out Gregg, but not for her? How would it be better for Katie to be standing in the final three with Gregg and Jenn rather than Tom and Ian?

Katie could never make it to the final three on her power. She's weak both intellectually and physically. She couldn't win a challenge against any of her alliance mates if her life depended on it. She's just somebody who the ultimate winner might drag to the finals because she's the coattail rider. Who, in her alliance of five, did she think she had a chance of winning the million against?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:35 pm
All I can say was at the beginning of the episode - I looked at my hubby and said it is going to be Greg tonight - just had a feeling ... and finally they realized. Whenever a group gets over confident, they start showing and then alliances change and they get booted. Ian is my favorite at this point too - but not sure if he is smart enough to pull it off.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:40 pm
You know - it's possible and I hope not - it might get boring very soon. I don't think these people have very dynamic personalities.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:53 pm
Linkat wrote:
All I can say was at the beginning of the episode - I looked at my hubby and said it is going to be Greg tonight - just had a feeling ... and finally they realized. Whenever a group gets over confident, they start showing and then alliances change and they get booted. Ian is my favorite at this point too - but not sure if he is smart enough to pull it off.

He does have a tender heart. Right before the luxury reward challenge, Ian and Katie made a mutual promise to take each other on the reward if either of them won. But, with a tiny bit of prodding, Gregg talked Katie into dousing Ian's torch and knocking him out. Despite his tender heart, Ian was smart enough to figure out that if lame-brain Katie would stab him in the back for an opportunity to spend a night on a yacht, she would definitely stab him in the back for a million bucks.

It was that intellectual insight that allowed Ian to convince Tom that they couldn't rely on Katie anymore and that they had no choice but to force Katie to vote out Gregg or face the purple rock of death. It was VERY SMART for them to take their destiny in their own hands rather than just hope that Katie would remain loyal to them. If Katie refused to vote out Gregg, then it was FAR BETTER to face the purple rock of death and have only a one in three chance of being booted from the game because they would have been doomed otherwise. He convinced Tom that desperate times call for desperate measures . . . and it paid off.

BUT, the scenes from next week's show call Ian's intelligence into question as he allows Katie to tug at his heart strings . . . my advice to Ian would be to tell her off: "SO THE HELL WHAT if you think your chances of winning would have been better with Gregg & Jenn instead of Tom & me. I'm not going to throw away MY chance at a million bucks in order to avoid hurting your back-stabbing feelings. Grow up."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:06 pm
Telling someone off might be satisfying, but I have to wonder if it is a sound strategic move. After all, you're after their vote.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:17 pm
My money's on Ian for the $1 million prize. He's starting to win the Immunity challenges, he's not pissed off as many people as Tom and I just can't fathom (sorry ladies) Jenn, Caryn or Katie nailing the prize. So I'd predict an Ian/Tom finale with Ian winning by a 5-2 vote.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:09 pm
Jenn had a pretty good chance until she and Gregg got over confident. I wouldn't count her out of the running yet; she might rally the ladies to kick off Tom and Ian.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:44 pm
Perhaps Jenn and Katie and Caryn could work together, but I think Caryn has been courting Tom to win over Katie's spot in the final three.

When the women discussed forming an alliance to get rid of the men before Stephenie was voted out, Caryn went running to Tom and spilled the beans.

The previews for next week show Jenn and Katie confronting Caryn and demanding to know if she made a deal with Tom. She denies that she has a deal--which is true--but their confrontational approach to Caryn probably won't ingratiate themselves towards her at all.

Caryn seems to have little flexibility and no game strategy other than kissing up to Tom.

And frankly, given Katie's attitude and willingness to backstab, Tom and Ian might consider replacing her in their final three plans with Caryn.

And perhaps you are right--if Ian is courting Katie for her vote--he probably shouldn't tell her off. Nevertheless, I hope that's just what he's doing: courting her vote. I hope he's not so soft-hearted that he would actually throw away his own chance to win the game just to soothe Katie's hurt feelings.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 05:43 pm
Le'see, it's Tom, Ian, Caryn, Katie ... and Jenn.

Can't be a Tom/Ian final, the first time Tom doesn't win immunity, he's toast. He's just too big a threat to everyone.

Jenn is just waiting for the other shoe to drop, kind of the position Caryn was in last week, but I don't see anyway for her to wiggle in between Tom and Caryn and Ian.

Katie is an idiot who I predict will piss off the other four completely before she is done. (I'll bet Jenn votes for her this coming week no matter what.)

So.. Jenn get the boot, Tom gets shoved, Caryn beats Katie in the stand-on-the-stump-till-you-reach-the-fiftyfirst-minute-commercial break. Ian picks Caryn like a dope instead of Katie.

Final vote: Four-three .........
The subterranean candidate Caryn wins the million without ever raising a sweat.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:16 pm
Joe Nation wrote:

Final vote: Four-three .........
The subterranean candidate Caryn wins the million without ever raising a sweat.

That outcome would be quite amusing and an unexpected boon to all those who drew Caryn's name in a survivor pool.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 01:19 pm
Quote:
That outcome would be quite amusing and an unexpected boon to all those who drew Caryn's name in a survivor pool.

yes!!!

and LOL - you really do read what I post Laughing
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:29 pm
LOL Good luck on your survivor pool, Husker. I think Caryn needs to win because her career as a lawyer will most certainly take a nose dive. Would you want someone like that--someone without any apparent gamesmanship or strategic brilliance--handling your case?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:35 pm
Aw, she did really really well with the sour and dour performance. And that's an important part of lawyering, too -- performance.

Who HAS shown strategic brilliance? Her strategy so far as been to lay low and take notes -- a good strategy, generally.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:41 pm
ROFL

"She may not be much of a strategist, but you have to admit one thing about Caryn: She sings like a canary."

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/earlyshow/series/survivor/main500180.shtml

Carin' About Caryn [the Civil Rights Attorney]

Quote:
If we learned anything from Episode Eleven of "Survivor: Palau," it ought to be this: If you are ever in the market for a cut-throat lawyer, do not hire Caryn. But if you are looking for a sweet, trusting soul, give her a call.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/05/02/earlyshow/series/survivor/main692317.shtml
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 05:50 pm
Civil Rights Attorney - hope not mine
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:01 pm
Crap!!

Note to other submarine survivors: Keep your fugging mouth shut!!

Stay under the radar and Katie goes home,.....

Joe(Crap!)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:12 pm
Whew!

I thought I liked Caryn, but I was really rooting for her to get it instead of Ian tonight. I guess I really like Ian.

Problem is, I don't like Katie, I don't like Jenn, and I don't like Tom, and what with the car and his near-miss tonight I'm not sure how much of a chance Ian has.

I really wish he'd taken the chance to rebut Caryn further -- you could tell the whole jury believed her.

Grrr.

She wasn't even lying really, just majorly misrepresenting what happened.

If it's not Ian, please not Katie. Cannot STAND her combination of blithely breaking her promise (to Ian, last reward challenge) and then getting all upset when he doesn't pick her. Grow UP.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:58 pm
I think tonight was the first I heard Jenn speak. I haven't really given her much credit but her comments were hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Tom's threat towards Katie about her not getting his vote should he end up on the jury was repugnant. She should have turned around and said the same to him. For Tom to lose his biggest ally Caryn and probably weakest immunity player is a ridiculous move. Methinks Tom falling on his face on the rope bridge foreshadows how his adventure in Palau ends.

I'm glad Caryn did reveal all the dirty little secrets. She knew she was gone and why not make it an interesting tribal council. Way to go out Caryn, guns blazing!

Some heavy editing going on, Jenn voting Caryn came out of nowhere.

I believe Ian and Katie have a sub alliance and will bounce Tom and Jenn at the first opportunity.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 02:10 am
Poor, poor Caryn.

I was starting to have some hope for her, but she completely blew her own slim chance of making it to the finals.

It looks like Ian has a final 3 plan with Katie and Jenn. If Tom doesn't win the next immunity, he's toast.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 07:54 am
RfromP, I was thinking the same thing about editing. Jenn voted for Caryn? Huh? When did that happen?

Why do you think Caryn knew she was gone? I could believe that if Jenn somehow knew to vote for her, Caryn knew she was gone, but the way it was edited, it seemed more like it was a result of her tantrum. That would make sense for Ian and Tom and maybe Katie, but can't see it making sense for Jenn.

And yeah, Tom's strong-arming was yucky, everything I don't like about him.

I like Ian as much as I've ever liked a contestant -- I really like his passion and how he throws himself into everything, plus smarts. (I think the emotional thing with Katie was genuine but calculated, and I think it worked.)
0 Replies