Survivor 10: Palau

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
We never talked about last week's.

Generally, I think the early promise of this one being Something Completely Different is fading. It has its moments, but overall it's medium-interesting.

Between Bobby Jon, Steph, and Ibrehem, I didn't really want to see any of them go -- I think Bobby Jon probably deserved to, if barely. He was just being dumb in the puzzle challenge.

I can't figure out which way this is going to go -- how many people usually at the merge? I think Koror is getting thoroughly sick of each other, and there were even signs of a Tom/ Ian split (Ian mad at Tom for going and one-upping him when he got the world's hugest clam), so I think if ANY Ulong people make it to the merge they're not doomed, by a long shot.

Who knows, could be Steph and Bobby Jon in the final four.

I do like that they can actually get their own food in this one.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:27 am
I think the merge must happen now. If Ulong loses again, how will the vote go? The contestants aren't allowed to vote themselves out. So, Stephanie will have to vote for Bobby Jon and Bobby Jon will have to vote for Stephanie. It can't be anything other than a tie. And, how can a tribe exist with only one tribe person? ROFL Not much of a tribe. I don't think the producers have any other choice than to announce the merge right now.

Upon merge, I think both Stephanie and Bobby Jon will be sitting pretty good. After all, the members of Koror ARE getting pretty sick of each other! LOL I think one alliance or another will try to get Stephanie and Bobby Jon on their side to strengthen their voting power so Koror members can finally start voting each other out!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:29 am
I think Ulong made consistently poor choices. Let James do the knots. Let Bobby Jon solve the puzzle. Poor choices.

Debra, you're right. They must merge. Two people in a tribe can't work re the voting.

Soz and Debra, You may be right about Stef and Bobby Jon surviving the merge. But they are strong players and may be viewed as a threat.

Interesting to see how complacent a tribe can become when no one gets voted out. And some animosities have emerged.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:23 pm
I was so surprised. There was no merge.

I was NOT surprised. Ulong LOST the immunity challenge again. Is that SEVEN straight losses?

Stephanie and Bobby Jon had to engage in a fire-making challenge at tribal council.

I didn't see Bobby Jon make any effort to get his fire going whereas Stephanie was diligently working at blowing to fan the flame and adding more materials. My honey and I talked about it, and we think he just let her win. He knew that he wouldn't stand a chance being the odd man out with the Koror members . . . and that Stephanie had a better chance of winning than he did.

We honestly think Bobby Jon threw the challenge in order to give Stephanie the chance to go all the way. His final words seem to corroborate those sentiments.

A tribe of ONE. Who would have ever thought that would happen?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:26 pm
It will really be interesting - so see how far this goes.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:43 pm
Koror. The hairdresser dude is dramatic. He was crying because he had to give up so much in his life . . . he quit sports . . . he dropped out of high school <sob> . . . because people don't accept him or include him. He was so happy to finally be a part of a winning team.

I think he's so accustomed to playing the role of the unloved outcast that he allows his emotions to rule his life. He really needs to drag his self-centered a$$ off of his home-made pity pot and grow up.

In the previews for next week, he spouts off about not being included in the guys shark hunting expedition and runs off pouting. Well, if he's going to act like a drama queen, other people aren't going to want to be around him. I think we all know people like that from our childhoods -- the ones that dramatically announce their hurt feelings and run off in a huff -- the whole time expecting the other children to run after them, soothe their feelings, and beg them to come back and play.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 03:02 am
Stephanie has to head back to camp alone. That will be an experience.

And I don't think Bobby John threw the immunity with the fire test. He isn't as smart as Stephanie. He went for the coconut stringy stuff, tinder to start his fire. She built a little base and then put the tinder on it.

He was building a fire.

She was trying to get her torch lit.

Joe( camping alone brings the deepest dreams) Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
I couldn't watch last night, but just read the synopsis online. Cool!

The synopsis said that Tom had made a deal with Steph before the tribes had even formed. So if she makes it to a merge, she might be sitting pretty.

Well, Tom is in a somewhat precarious position himself. But there are so many useless people on Koror.

Steph has been consistently the strongest competitor -- challenges are lost because Ib can't get the bottle or Bobby Jon's a dumb caller, not because of her. I bet she's relishing the thought of not having to rely on anyone else, just doing it all herself.

Once the merge happens, it'll get interesting.

Well, until then too, actually. I wonder how long she'll be a tribe of one?

Last season the merge happened when there were 10 people, episode 8. (For this season, episode 8 was last night and there are 9 people.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
From the way things have been going, it wouldn't surprise if they kept Stef as a tribe of one and had her compete against one member of Koror for immunity.

It will be interesting to see how she manages in camp alone and if she's able to get the boat in the water without help. Maybe she won't be able to get to the next challenge.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:42 pm
I think that if Steph wins the next reward challenge that they should let her pick someone from the other team to join her.

That would stir things up!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:13 pm
boomer I think that would be a great twist to add to the show right now, how many more seasons can this run?
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 02:12 pm
I wouldn't swear by this, but I think the merges happen when there are 9 left because at that point forward, everyone kicked off is on the 7-person jury to vote on who gets the million of the final 2.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:02 pm
I can't imagine being the last survivor of your tribe all alone, and being unable to fetch for food.
I'm still pondering how that young girl is going to survive on her own Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
Eh, she's tough.

This should be an interesting one, though.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:09 am
Stephenie merged into Koror.

Individual immunity: stand on a perch in the water; last one standing wins.

Coby and Janu gave up immunity for two donuts.

Jeff asks why these two people would give up immunity for donuts and someone replied: "Either they want to go home or they don’t think they’re in danger of going home."

Four others gave up immunity for the chance to share 15 cookies and one glass of milk.

Stephenie and Caryn gave up immunity for a pizza.

Tom won individual immunity.

Coby was voted out. His drama queen antics put a big target on his back. I hope his donuts were worth a million bucks!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:32 am
Stephenie
Stephenie needs to get her head on straight right away before there is organized opposition to her. Luckily there were two people in Koror that Koror wanted to off before her (Kobe---ugh, and Janu --double ugh). She needs to get serious about making alliances, sharing rewards and winning immunity, all while trying to fly under the radar. Some fun for her, but I really want her to win.

So, who can name who is left? Let's see Tom, Ethan, Janu, then the rest of them are just faces: the guy who lays in the hammock, the blond girl,
the older, short haired woman, the dark haired girl and Steph. In the words of Butch Cassidy "Who are these guys?"

Joe(ever tried to get a coconut to fall?)Nation
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
Joe you are a funny guy!! LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:54 am
That was fun!

I think Steph has her head on straight, or if she doesn't, I think she accidentally did about the best possible thing. She hung on long enough to get the best possible reward (which she so had coming), BUT, she erased that in people's minds by not winning the whole thing. Tom did that. She upheld the existing power structure in Koror, that Tom's the strongest. While immunity would have of course saved her this go-round, I think the minute she didn't have immunity, she'd be a target.

Right now she seems like the most obvious winner of the whole thing for very Chris-ian reasons (most popular on the online polls, last man/woman standing), but I'm suspicious because of how obvious it is. Too obvious.

I like the whole thing that Koror is still Koror, instead of the whole two tribes merging into a whole new one thing. Spoils of war or whatever. Makes more sense in this case.

The Jenn-Steph competition thing is interesting. Jenn has been very secure in her position as Hot Babe of Koror. Gregg seemed rawther happy to see Steph.

I liked Coby, he wasn't playing smart though at the end there. Too in-your-face, not enough subtlety. A bold move to go right after Steph, but backfired. For whatever reason this group likes to pretend that it's not really a cut-throat game, that teamwork will get you through, which is nice but the "team" will be down to one at the end, no matter what.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:28 am
Sitting there licking the donuts and taunting the others was just idiocy.

Janu wants to go home. Practically shouted it during tribal council....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 09:41 am
Yeah, his disdain was just seeping out of every pore.

I think Janu might be pulled along until she begs to be sent home -- she's so NOT a threat.

Oh by the way I missed the very beginning -- first I saw was Steph snorkeling, looking for (and failing to find) fish. (She had to have expended more calories going after that coconut than it offered her when she ate it...) Anything interesting at the very-very beginning?
0 Replies