Survivor 10: Palau

Debra Law

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
Jonathan
Roberta wrote:
I, too, was mystified about the football guy not being chosen.

The group of 20 had agreed to continue rowing and that's what they did. But Jonathan and Stephenie became anxious. They jumped out of the row boat early in anticipation of swimming to shore and claiming the immunity necklaces. They underestimated how fast they could swim in comparison to how fast the rest of them could row and got left behind. (They weren't allowed back on the row boat either.)

Jonathan didn't make any attempt to "connect" with the other people. He worked hard, but didn't work on cementing any early relationships.

Coby, Gregg, and Caryn noted that they had not yet connected to Jonathan -- and then went around to the others and threw his name out as the first person to be voted out.

The game begins from the first minute. Jonathan didn't connect with any woman who had an opportunity to choose a man to be on the team.

When it was just Willard and Jonathan left -- the logical choice would have been to send the old guy packing and choose Jonathan. But, it was Caryn who was choosing. She had just been picked by Coby and she had already agreed with Coby and Gregg that they had not connected with Jonathan so he should be the first to go . . . .

So . . . . he didn't get picked.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:38 pm
checking in!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:48 pm
sozobe wrote:
Just saw that Caryn (interesting civil rights lawyer) has three children, youngest one's 6! Gack.

that's who I am in the local survivor pool
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
I guess I'm "re-hooked" into Survivor after watching the All-Stars and the last one on the island apparently named after Vanna White. Obviously too early to tell about the various personalities but we've already seen the typical bone-headed moves that marks every Survivor (the fireman unilaterally deciding for his team to forego the ready-made shelter for a new location, the same team losing their 1st booty and the other team losing by trying to pick up everything but the most essential item, fire).

One thing that's always bothered me: each Survivor starts with teams trying without success to start a fire on their own. Knowing this by (after 9 versions) now, why doesn't any of the contestants learn this Boy Scout/Girl Scout skill before departing for their destination?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:10 pm
That is so true. If you could just walk up and start a fire you'd be the big hero.

I've wondered too, if it wouldn't be possible to use someone's eyeglasses to kind of intensify the sun to help start a fire.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:29 pm
Ulong (Blue)

Jolanda (voted out)
Bobby Jon
Stephenie
Jeff
Kim
James
Ashlee
Ibrehem
Angie

I believe Jolanda, Ibrehem, and Bobby Jon voted to oust Angie from the tribe.

I believe Angie, Jeff, Kim, James, and Ashlee voted to oust Jolanda from the tribe.

But who did Stephenie vote to oust? I know Jolanda was trying to get Stephenie to vote out Angie and Stephenie agreed, but she made a point of telling Jolanda the reason why they lost was because Jolanda wanted to take everything and they lost time. I know that Stephenie talked to Bobby Jon about voting out Jolanda -- but he refused. He said they needed Jolanda's strength -- and Stephenie agreed with him. So . . . I don't know how she actually voted.

I wasn't paying close attention at the very end where they showed everyone's votes.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
I checked the cbs site . . . the voting history is available and Stephenie voted to oust Jolanda from the tribe.

Now I wonder if Bobby Jon and Ibrehem (by throwing themselves in with Jolanda) have sealed their own fates and will be the next ones voted out of the tribe . . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
The flipping of the outrigger still intrigues me. I watched to video again this morning, there doesn't seem to be much surf and over they go....

So wierd.

J
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
So true. I didn't see a wave hit the boat . . . and if the outrigger is so unstable that it will flip so easily in shark-infested waters . . . maybe CBS ought to provide the survivors with more stable transportation.

Maybe the "loss" of the fire was orchestrated for dramatic effect . . . .
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
Debra, Thanks for demystifying my mystification. I'm going to have to pay closer attention.

Allan, I was thinking the same thing about making fire. These people know they're going to need it and are not guaranteed to get it right away. Why aren't they practicing before the game begins?

Joe, I agree. Flipping an outrigger seems strange to me, too.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 01:15 am
I felt sorry about that first guy being voted out first.....well people say he was sort of an outsider and that's a big mistake someone can do on Surviver; become an outsider.
However, I was happy that black lady, whatever her name is, was voted off the show. She seemed too bossy and possessive
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
Hi Duke, welcome.

Yeah, outsiderhood is never good on this show, unless you're great at getting food or something. Well even then it's not good, just means you might be kept on anyway.

We never discussed last Thursday's episode, folks! What'd you think? I was really, really happy that they went and got the flint. I think they were kinda, oh, well maybe Jeff'll give us a new one or something. Then when they realized that wasn't going to happen, they went for it. (Do you think anyone helped them find the area? Seems really really dauntingly difficult for them to find it all on their own.) I was way impressed with Ian. Skinny guy though, I don't think I've seen a guy so thin that early on in the show. Hope he'll be OK.

And really happy with Angie!! Again, I think she and Coby will be around for a long time.

Meanwhile, the captions cut out at the end of Ashlee's spiel, she said something like she was happy she didn't use the excuse that she was.... then it stopped. (The captioning.) What excuse?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:43 pm
Soz, Sorry. I don't remember what anybody said--much. I pay attention, but then it's gone.

I was glad they went back and got the flint. The water is so clear, they could see the box from the surface. Still, dangerous, especially if the sharks they show swimming around are actually swimming around. Maybe this is like Survivor Africa, where unseen people were stationed around the camps to protect the people from becoming a meal.

I can't say that I'm strongly impressed with anyone. Nor have I developed strong likes or dislikes yet.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:19 pm
From what I have heard people do not know they have been chosen for the show until 24 hours before they get on the plane. I know someone who applied and he said they just make you understand that if you are picked you have to pack a little bag and report to the airport the next day. Thus no advanced notice. Since many thousands of people apply to be contestants you are probably wasting your time learning the fire trick. Of course, if you do get on and can get a spark going you will be very popular.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 01:34 pm
Somebody voted for James. A rebel.

I don't understand why the tribe is so good at reward challenges and so bad at elimination challenges.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 02:06 pm
That was Jeff. He didn't want to vote for whatsername who everyone else was voting for, and obviously not himself. Well maybe not obviously, but I don't think they can vote themselves off. (Can they?) He knew that James was watching them.

I agree with Angie that whatsername will probably step up the usefulness quotient now that her little eggs-in-one-basket ploy failed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:18 am
I love Angie. I think she will go far – and I agree sozobe I think Angie was right in her thinking. And no you can not vote for yourself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
Well I was ..... er..... ummm...."impressed"..... with Bobby Jon is in low slung white sarong......

But really, I like Angie and I hope she wins.

I don't know about that not being able to vote themselves off thing. Wasn't there one guy who showed up at tribal council and said "I'm leaving" and they had no vote that week?

Austin? Osten? Something like that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
Right! The guy I thought was slated to win the whole thing.

Demographics has served me well so far. I've adjusted that a bit to it dictating who gets to the final four -- I mean, viewership-wise, it makes no difference, since the last episode starts with four people and ends with the winner.

So I think either Coby or Angie, and likely both, will be in the final 4. Probably but not definitely against at least one prom king/ queen type -- I don't think the older folks have as much of a chance in this one. Maybe final four of one older, at least one prom king/queen, at least one "freak" (Angie/ Coby.)

And yeah, Bobby Jon... Shocked

Oh by the way I do like Stephanie, Ms. Toughie, the only woman who stuck out the dragging-sand-around ordeal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:03 am
I also like how before the cloth arrived Angie was always popping out of her red lace bra and didn't give a damn. :-)
0 Replies