Survivor 10: Palau

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
Boomerang – they can quit like that truck driver that didn’t like Hatch rubbing his naked body up to her and like Jen did because she was worried about her mother, but they cannot write their own name down at tribal council. They state that each time when there is only 3 people left – the person winning immunity is the only one to vote because no one can vote for them and the immunity winner cannot vote for him/herself.

Yeah – do like Stephanie too. She is very strong.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:35 am
So Kim finally got voted out. I don't understand how she thought she would survive. She knew they were gunning for her and did nothing to make herself safer--trying to pitch in and do something.

If the show doesn't do something to even things up, I suspect that everyone on the smaller tribe is doomed. Tribal alliances will kick in once the merge takes place. I hope that Angie and Stephanie make it to the end.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:48 am
That was a good one!

Kim made a good try with the "we gals have to stick together" thing, but no go. Good riddance.

James sputtering about having his ass kicked by a homosexual hairdresser was awesome. :-)

I think what they're doing in this game is trying to counteract the received wisdom that being a leader will get you kicked off. Tom annoys me, but I think he's done a lot of things right, and that he and Ian have a good kind of yin/ yang leadership thing going that really helps the team. Leadership and teamwork is what has gotten them where they are.

Could be that when the time comes, Tom will be the first to go. But look where they are now! (The shelter is so great.)

I did feel kind of bad for James that he finally went all-out, and they lost anyway.

What I'm hoping is that Steph and Angie will step up into leadership positions and whip the rest of the team into shape.

By the way for some reason Ibrehem popped out at me yesterday as a major contender. Can't put my finger on it -- wasn't when he got all macho during the gladiator thing, except for maybe to highlight how laid-back he usually is. Just under the radar enough that he might go far (and there's the demographic part...)

I think I'll say final four of Angie, Coby or both; Ibrehem; one older person; and if not both Angie and Coby, one prom queen/ king.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:56 am
Yeah, good riddance to Kim.

I was so wanting the other tribe to have to go vote someone off but I think they are going to have to even up the teams.

What do you think the big surprise is going to be next week?

Maybe they'll play for choice of camps.

I have a feeling that the fabulous shelter thing was part of a bigger plan. That was way to good of a reward to not be negotiable.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 04:53 pm
My pick for final 4 would be Ian, Tom, Angie and Stephanie. Final 2 would be Ian and Stephanie. Survivor champion would be Ian.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
Just a reminder -- Suvivor is on tonight instead of Thursday!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
thanks!!!

(just happened across this, had completely forgotten.)
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:24 pm
Well that was interesting! I was really taken by surprise with Koror immunity vote, not that they gave it to Ibrehem but the vote itself. That really threw a monkey wrench into the works. Too bad for Angie, now Stephenie is the only woman in the tribe and I fear the men will vote her off. I really hope not, she's my favorite female survivor. Ibrehen so rightly deserved to be the one to go. He did make a good point about the game not being about beef stew and just one challenge however, if I were there I'd be voting for him for sure. If skinny Ian could get two bottles then buff Ibrehem should have gotten one easily.

My favorite male survivor by far is Coby. I loved his Ken and Barbie (Greg/Jennifer) comment. I'm not so sure he should go along with the Greg/Jennifer/Janu alliance. I don't think Janu will last much longer; they sit her out on every challenge they can, so I believe they don't think much of her. I don't think they will put up with the Greg/Jennifer (Grennifer) alliance for much longer either and once one of them goes they won't have enough for a viable alliance.

It wasn't surprising to see Willard go but I much rather would have had James go than Angie. I don't care too much for him. Ulong is so doomed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:54 pm
That was a cool one indeed! Lots of surprises. Loved the take when the noshing Koror people learned that they'd have to do the immunity vote.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Also liked that finally there was a non-alliance vote -- those get so boring. Remember the first Survivor when the names were all over, and there were ties, and it was actually significant whether someone had gotten votes previously? Now it's always blocs. Boring. So this one was cool, everyone had to think on their feet.

Sorry to see Angie go, for sure. Really liked her.

I'm predicting that having to vote off a member is going to shake up Koror, even though they were sickeningly united about it. People are worried it might be them going, people are in that thought process, people are remembering it's every man for himself out there. I think it'll damage the whole team thing. Tom and/ or Ian will start to be more self-conscious about being leaders. Etc.

Meanwhile, Bobby Jon, Steph, James and Ibrehem make a pretty strong core group. The challenges have been equalized in some way throughout -- sitting out members, etc. -- and those four match up pretty well with any four from Koror.

Today's machinations make Ibrehem look even better than he did last week -- though maybe just to final four.

I did like his speech. Won him immunity fair and square I think, and he didn't even know he was playing for it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:27 am
Water sports are not Ibrehem's thing. I wouldn't have voted for him. I'd have gotten rid of James. Sorry to see Angie go. She was a strong player. Steph is now my favorite. I doubt that she will survive the merge.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:36 am
I thought their stategy to give Ibrehem immunity was excellent - they figured out the other team was going to let him go, so they split the already devistated team by making them chose someone else.

I had really hoped that Angie would stick it out until the end. I liked her.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:43 am
It was an unusual episode; very different.

I didn't think it was "fair" that both tribes had to go to tribal council and vote out a member regardless of who won the challenge.

I suppose the producers thought there was NO HOPE for the Ulong tribe and something had to be done to stir up the "political" game in the Koror tribe.

I certainly didn't expect Angie to be the one to go. Even after Ibrehem was given immunity, I thought the next target would be James.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:28 pm
Boomer, I think that Ibrehem's immunity vote was less a strategy than a fortuitous result. There was no time for discussion or strategy. Just some like-minded people voting like-mindedly.

I think the producers are going to have to do more than this to stir things up. I don't think that one team has ever been so dominant before--or one team so incredibly incapable of winning. With Angie gone, the chances are even more remote of their ever winning immunity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
I dunno, I have a feeling this'll be the turnaround. Koror is complacent. Ulong is HUNGRY, and has come very close a few times.

I also, as always, think things are being manipulated by the producers -- why did Ian have such a terrible time finding the bottles? From what they show underwater, it was pretty straightforward for everyone else. He still came through, but he had to really search. The bottles were like around a corner, when supposedly they're under the bouy.

So I think Ulong was "supposed" to win that one, and when they didn't, they (producers) at least made sure that Ibrehem stayed/ Koror lost someone.

I think the Ibrehem situation was very, very similar to what happened with Chris last year, when the loved ones came out to partner up with Survivors, and Chris' fiancee messed up and he was the obvious no-brainer choice to be voted off, and the gals took pity on him/ his fiancee. (I think especially his fiancee.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
Doesn't Ian usually wear glasses? Maybe he couldn't see well.

I think they are going to mix up the tribes to create new alliances and break a few old ones. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to all Koror people afer the merge.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:49 pm
But what the underwater shots showed is that there just weren't any bottles where he was diving. He had to go like all the way around the corner of the shipwreck. It really appeared that there were none to be seen where he was.

<shrug>

At any rate, I have little doubt that various outcomes are being manipulated. Interesting article yesterday (not about Survivor, but "reality" shows in general):

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/16/arts/television/16swap.html?

Quote:
At least based on the experience of tonight's featured wives - Christy Oeth, a working mother from suburban Philadelphia, and Nancy Cedarquist, who is home-schooling her six children in northern Vermont - making a "swap" ready for prime time can entail withholding facts from the viewer that might muddle the central premise; supplying participants with material to read aloud; rehearsing pivotal confrontations off-screen; and, in some cases, re-enacting events the cameras missed.

In tonight's episode, for example, the Oeths, a family of six, are described by the narrator as putting "success before family life" and as "high achievers who run their family like a business." In pitching the episode in a one-page memorandum to ABC, the show's producers - a British company called RDF Media, which also produces a British version - posed the following question: "Will Mrs. Oeth get in touch with her natural maternal instincts?"

In fact, Mrs. Oeth, 36, who works at an investment firm, said in a telephone interview this week that she had stayed home for five years to raise her four children, a fact the producers never share with viewers, and that she had returned to work only last year, when her husband left a high-pressure job in Manhattan.

"There is a very big element of unreality to the way they pigeonholed me," she said.

-snip-

To Wendy Roth, co-executive producer of "Wife Swap," the postproduction concerns expressed by the two women are a function, at least in part, of a naïveté people have about reality television.

"A documentary is a news show," said Ms. Roth, who has worked as a producer on "Good Morning America" and several prime-time Oprah Winfrey specials. "We come out of the entertainment division. There is a certain amount of poetic license."

Ms. Roth acknowledged, for example, that mention of the five years Mrs. Oeth spent raising her children full time was omitted from the episode, not because it would have complicated the episode's stark premise - coldhearted working mom versus nurturing stay-at-home mom - but because "we don't do back stories on our show."
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:13 pm
At least three members of the Koror tribe were paying close attention the dynamics of the Ulong tribe . . . they could see that Ibrehem was the intended target of the Ulong vote and that he had been a weak player in the diving challenge.

Certainly, if immunity was given to the intended target of the vote (Ibrehem), it is more likely than not that Ibrehem's loyalty could be shifted from Ulong to Koror tribe members in the event of a merge or a shifting of tribe members. Plus, giving Ibrehem immunity made it more likely that one of the competitively stronger Ulong members could be eliminated.

I think the three Koror tribe members who voted to give Ibrehem immunity were thinking smart!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:57 pm
It's on again tonight instead of Thursday!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:42 pm
For any of you who haven't watched yet, warning, spoilers!!!

Good one. Not a great one, but a good one. Glad to see James go, he of the "I know how to build a bathroom!" and "I know how to make impossible-to-untie knots!" Pffff. Not to mention he of the "I don't care how you did the whole game, the last challenge is all that matters." Karma, baby.

Really like Steph! Tough cookie. Wish she hadn't lied, but oh well, she's probably right that she had to.

Should have figured from his name, but the whole Islam thing adds another dimension to Ibrehim. Talk about demographics...

I was half-right about the comeback, anyway, they won a reward (though kind of a bad one -- how much nutrition in Pringles and mai tais??), and it's down to the three best competitors pretty much. Still think the remaining people have a chance. Also think that once they merge, all bets are off, since there are so many weak people who've been pulled along with Koror.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:06 am
On Ulong, Stephanie and Bobby Jon are the strongest players in competitions. Between Ibrehem and James, I think James was the weaker player and he needed to go if Ulong has any chance at all of winning the next immunity challenge.

Knock on Wood.

I think Stephanie and Bobby Jon can make it to the merge and join forces with the smaller alliance to wipe out the larger alliance.

I don't understand why she wrote down Bobby Jon's name during that last tribal council. Maybe it was strategy that she's keeping to herself . . . don't know. Too bad Stephanie lied . . . but she really didn't have a choice if she wanted to stay in the game . . . and it worked to her favor that Bobby Jon thought it was James who wrote down his name. [Maybe that was her strategy?]
0 Replies