The Prince does Toronto !!

Letty

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:59 am
Well, Gautam/Prince. Even the most royal of us visit planet earth once in a while, and some even speak French. <smile>
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:40 am
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread, and feeling very left out, which is proof of how good the storytelling is.

Please continue! Am dying to hear more about the thong prezzie!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:21 am
Wonderful yarns - Tranna-people - more! more!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 03:49 pm
I'll be back with another coupla chapters.
Life, ya know.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 06:15 pm
One more snow story:

I'm about 30 minutes east of the city and awoke to a sunny day. It was mild (above 0) and I considered washing the car in the driveway. But the morning got away from me and I did a quick tidy up instead, vacuuming out, that kind of thing. I know it's winter in Canada, but the day was so clear and pleasant, I consciously left the snow scraper in the garage (I didn't want any obstacles at anyone's feet).

It was so very pleasant that I was surprised to hear from Beth and the prince that it had snowed for their trip to the cemetery. The skies were pretty clear at that time, in any case, and I thought no more of it.

Later, after tea, we drove back to the apartment. It was a nice night. Cold, but crisp - no wind. I was shocked into exclamation when I approached the balcony door at some point and discovered we were in the middle of a snow squall. I'd been out there several times over the hours and there really wasn't a hint of it coming. You couldn't see the street! It stopped as fast as it came depositing inches of the fluffy kind in very short order.

"OMG look! I wasn't expecting that!" I said.

"I was," Beth knowingly replied.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:02 pm
I'm back.
I'm not where I want to be, and should be, but I'm back.
One unhappy puppy tummy can change a lot of plans.
Confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at Buttercup and Austin's apartment, most people tummies are full, the glasses have been refilled, and everyone's settling back down.

Bailey seems to be convinced that BoGoWo is another dog. Bailey's not a people dog, he's a dog dog, and he's very taken with Bo. Cleo's still passionate about The Prince, and not just because he calls her 'darling'. Austin has accepted the interlopers presence in his home - canine and human. He's settling down with his mom, getting comfy, happy that there were some nice doggie treats.

We're all getting quieter, talking, joking, relaxing. It's good. Little bursts of energy. Bo tells us about a shower he built for some Irish Wolfhounds. I'm still thinking about that 5 days later.

Time for JoeBlow to head back east. It's been so good to see her again, to hear her very distinctive voice and words. She is NOT a shrinking violet. Hugz all round.

Settling back down for a bit. Bailey attaches himself firmly to BoGoWo's side - tucks himself between Bo and me on one of the sofas. Doesn't really seem to mind Cleo almost sliding off of my lap onto him. I suspect it's the very thorough doggie massage Bo is providing.

Austin's draped over his mom's lap, watches us all for a while, then falls asleep. The Prince discovers All Dressed tater chips. I don't think he's really caught the concept. They're sort of difficult to explain. Buttercup makes a fine effort though.

Bo finally polishes off the last of his Pad Thai. The rest of us gave up a while ago. Bo's not your average kitchen and bath designer/builder and renovator. He's a chowhound too!

We're all almost as relaxed as the snoozing pupsters. The talking has slowed down, but not quite stopped. Time to head home before everyone falls asleep on the sofas.

Buttercup - you're a fine hostess. Not just a lovely face. Austin - you were a very good dog - we need to see your little clown face smile.

Another round of hugz (a Prince specialty), and The Prince, Bo, the dogs, and I head out toward the weather. The snow's stopped falling, but it's there to be dealt with.

C'ya later, Bo!

The dogs and The Prince are assisted into the car - I am NOT letting a man in a cashmere coat and dress footwear muck about outside with an ice scraper. That's why Canajun grrrrrrrlz wear their shearling lined boots, and down jackets on nights like this.

The Prince is returned to his lovely hotel. He says "goodbye" to darling Cleo, and darling Bailey - who demands his turn with The Prince. Arrangements are made for Sunday's pick-up.

The dogs and I head east - both of them are asleep within minutes in the car - run to the front door as soon as I open the car door at home - they're worn out. It's been a busy day of adventuring for small Canajun dogs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapter - "I love a parade". Well, not really. Well, not always. But I guarantee that going to the St. Patrick's Day Parade with The Prince is more than a bit of a giggle. I recommend it highly. Do it, if you have the chance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:29 pm
<smiling>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 12:12 am
That was wonderful, ehBeth! I would have loved to have been there with all of you. Friends & doggies!Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:14 pm
The Prince causes major road closures.

Quote:
St. Patrick's Day Parade Causes Major Road Closures
Mar, 12 2005 - 1:00 PM

640 TORONTO - You may wanna leave the car at home tomorrow if you plan on heading downtown. The 18th annual St.Patrick's day parade will take over the streets of the downtown core.

Parade director Nathan Green says its not just for the Irish - it's a big party for every one. Tens of thousand are expected to come out for the parade that kicks off at noon.
link

I'm on my way downtown to pick up The Prince from his hotel. The lovely doorman flirts and suggests I go inside to see if my handsome friend in the black cashmere coat is waiting for me. <tiny swoon> I think I will.

Luggage is checked, The Prince is in the lil car again. We park behind the Eaton Centre and go inside for a little bit of browsing - what fun! The Prince is a wonderful window-shopping pal. I'd love to have the chance to enable him further. We bop in and out of the Eaton Centre to see if the parade is on its way yet. Nope. Time to move the car. Move the car, and come back outside - and here comes the parade!

Quote:
Sunday, March 13, 2005
TORONTO -- Toronto has held its 18th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.

This year's parade featured two dozen floats, 20 marching bands, 50 Irish pipers, dancers, little leprechauns, miniature ponies and horse-drawn carriages making their way through downtown streets.

Clowns handed out lucky gold coins made of chocolate to children along the route.

An estimated 2,000 people took part in the parade.

Detroit Red Wings forward Brendan Shanahan, a Mississauga, Ont. native, was the parade's grand marshal.

One parade-goer was a woman from Buffalo who says bringing the kids is just an excuse for adults to have a good time.

Money was collected along the route for Variety Village, a state-of-the-art training centre in Toronto for physically and developmentally disabled athletes.

Everyone must have known The Prince would be at the parade. A bigger crowd than I'd expected. It's one of Toronto's smaller parades. Nothing like the scale of the Santa Claus, Caribana, or Gay Pride parades.

It's a fun little parade. Sort of a neighbourhood parade in the middle of a big city.

Pretty girls, men in kilts with cold-looking knees. Pipers. Drummers - my favourite. People in all kinds of interesting costumes - lotsa different saints. One of the marching bands was from Ireland - some very cold looking young people in that band. Shriners in their crazy little clown cars zooming all over the place. A Charlie Chaplin styled mime/street artist. The history of ambulances (that was tres cool). Lotsa marchin' cops. Why are so many North American cops of Irish descent? I surely don't know. Hey! that pretty girl just threw a chocolate toward The Prince. The Parade princess looks extraordinarily bored. She's speaking on her cellphone as she's being driven down the street in some hot lil convertible.

We're waving and I'm dancing and jumping up a bit. I love the Filipino community drum band and the Steel Drum band representing the Caribana parade - Jump Up !!! Waving some more - exchanging greetings with folks in the parade - some little kids are really happy to have people waving back at them. There are two women with extremely well-dressed dogs beside us.

Oh look! Irish wolfhounds! can you believe BoGoWo built custom showers for wolfhounds? Amazing. Just amazing.

Hey, what's that? ohhhh, the fire department mascot, someone (The Prince wants to know who) in a dalmatian dog costume. S/he/it high-fives The Prince, and as s/he/it spins away we see the name on the back - Sparky!

<thud>

How did they know?

More dancing, more cold-looking marchers. The Prince asks me to let him know if I'm cold. I don't get the hint Embarrassed , and tell him I'm fine. A few minutes later, as another drum band approaches and I'm bouncing up and down again, The Prince says it's time to go inside. Sorry, Sparky Confused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

next chapter, Mitchell picks up a french fry.
0 Replies

Mrs Buttercup Cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:00 pm
In a somewhat-related yet still bizarre turn of events, I happened to "run into" the parade where it turns near the Hilton hotel, as my hairdresser's is about two blocks from the hotel where the Prince stayed. There were costumed people, people in green and police officers converging on one corner. I thought about trying to find bethy and princy in the midst of the crowd, but decided to go home and tell Cav about my new haircut instead. It was only when I walked in the door that I realised he wasn't at home to see it...Sad By the way, it snowed on St. Paddy's Day in Toronto for all of 10 minutes while the sun shone. Guess he saw my haircut after all...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
Beth - thanks!

Buttercup, those sad little moments must be hard.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:05 am
Oh. Sad How very sad.
A big hug from me to you, Buttercup.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:25 am
I hope this isn't intrusive. I have just returned to Australia after 5 weeks in Toronto (Tranna to the locals of course). I was there late January to early March. Froze my arse off but loved every minute of it (stayed in the Distillery District). I enjoyed reading the thread. If anyone gets a chance to go to the big TO then go.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:29 am
Glad you enjoyed your time in Tranna, goodfielder.

I'd love to hear a bit about what you thought of the Distillery District. Although I live verra verra close to it, I've barely been there since the grand unveiling. I hear great things and have made plans to go to a couple of events there.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:39 am
I liked it a lot ehBeth. I stayed in a condo on Parliament so it wasn't far to get to Balzac's for a coffee (or to the Jersey Giant for a beer). I think there are plans to reclaim some of the areas in the district that are now commercial (the Dodge dealership I think is earmarked to go). It has a sense of community though and I felt it from talking with the locals. I was particularly impressed with the work done at 51 Division to incorporate the station into the local environment. In a few years it will be a gem for Toronto. Oh and the schoolhouse is a little gem.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:43 am
I worked a few blocks from the corner of Parliament and King for most of the 1980's, goodfielder, and still live only minutes away. It was clearly a neighbourhood with potential - good stones, you might say Very Happy - it was great when they started to redevelop the Gooderham and Worts complex.

(if you head this way again, please let us know - Tranna A2K'rs love company)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:45 am
Oh!!!

HOW did I miss this thread??????
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
Yeah, where ya been, dlowan?

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/htmlsite/index.html

Quote:
Founded in 1832 by Brother-in-law William Gooderham and James Worts, the Gooderham and Worts Distillery eventually became the largest distillery in the British Empire. Set on 13 acres in downtown Toronto, the forty plus buildings constitute the largest and best preserved collection of Victorian Industrial Architecture in North America.

The Distillery is now a pedestrian-only village entirely dedicated to arts, culture and entertainment. Internationally acclaimed galleries, artists' studios and workshops, restaurants, bars and cafes, as well as live music, all form part of this new landmark cultural centre. In addition to the history, arts and culture, The Distillery has been the location for over 800 film and television productions in the past decade, including Chicago, X-Men, Against The Ropes and The Hurricane, making The Distillery District the most popular film location in Canada.

Numerous festivals and special events attract tens of thousand of people each month.

Very cool site, and site!

(I'll be back to tell ALL about Mitchell and the french fry later)
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:00 am
With a bit of luck ehBeth I'll be back there in your summer for a few weeks. It will be interesting to see TO without snow :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:03 am
Keep us in mind next time, goodfielder. There are so many great things to do in and around Tranna in the summer.
0 Replies