What does slavery have to do with Today?

sublime1

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:36 pm
Quote:
. Moreover, when blacks are not where the jobs are...they are less likely to know of any jobs openings

Last I checked newspapers were only about fifty cents and they all contain help wanted ads. If someone has the will to work they will find a way.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:42 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Noah The African wrote:
When you live in the city of Detroit....you have few options.

Your comments only put your ignorance on display.

You call this few options? Click on these and tell me that the bus system doesn't go anywhere.

Destinations

Communities

System Map

Your commments only put YOUR ignorance on display.

Well…If I am wrong…how did the Brookings Institute conclude virtually the same thing? The fact of the matter is that Metropolitan Detroit has busses, but the system is not efficient and is not RAPID. If I was catching a bus from the Near East side of Detroit, to a job out in Troy, it would take me about 2 hours to get to work after all the transfers. Poor people who have to get their kids to school, day care or other things cannot afford to spend 4 hours on a bus each day trying to get to work and back.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm
Edited because I am not getting into this. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:53 pm
Quote:
Poor people who have to get their kids to school, day care or other things cannot afford to spend 4 hours on a bus each day trying to get to work and back.

I absolutely agree, I also note your sentence uses the words "poor people" I also think we as the richest nation in the world have an ethical obligation to assist any and all people of whatever color to adequately pursue the highest quality of life to which they aspire. There is only one "race" on this planet and "we" are it.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
Poor people who have to get their kids to school, day care or other things cannot afford to spend 4 hours on a bus each day trying to get to work and back.

I absolutely agree, I also note your sentence uses the words "poor people" I also think we as the richest nation in the world have an ethical obligation to assist any and all people of whatever color to adequately pursue the highest quality of life to which they aspire. There is only one "race" on this planet and "we" are it.

Yeah...that all sounds good but along with being a racist nation...it is one that also suffers from classism. Both hit black people hard, because we are dispropotionately poor due to the history of slavery and Jim Crow.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:01 pm
when you get in over your head keep digging, china ain't that far away.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:05 pm
I think this discussion is making me sleepy. But I can't prove it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:16 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
I think this discussion is making me sleepy. But I can't prove it.

According to the author it must be the drugs... Laughing
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:19 pm
No...racism is known to cause drowsiness and dizziness as some of the side effects. Check for ulcers too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:21 pm
Now cin is a racist too? Can't win for losing....
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:22 pm
But Noah, what race am I? Do you know?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:54 pm
this thread is becoming a guilty pleasure..... Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:57 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
this thread is becoming a guilty pleasure..... Confused

You are my guilty pleasure, ma dame chérie.....

Ok, I think I need to stop before I make myself a lesbian. :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:59 pm
HA!
we should hijak this thread into an oreo cookie make out session...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:05 pm
Aw.....a Kristie sammich!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:09 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:

I've been reading this thread but haven't wanted to post because, well - just because. Cinn, your question brings me back to Noah's response to Zane being able to prove his race.

Noah, I could set up a login calling myself J_B the Martian and while some might actually believe it, other's wouldn't. You've come here spouting a bunch of rhetoric about racism and history and then don't want to believe you don't speak for your entire race or that everyone here isn't white. If Zane can't prove he's black then neither can you. You see yourself as all black people and you see everyone here as all white people. You're presentation that all blacks are the same and all whites are the same is simply wrong. If you, for one second, think that slavery would have ended if enough white people didn't think it should or that discrimination would have ended if enough white people didn't think it should then you are mistaken.

Sure there are still disadvantages and improvements that can be made for the poor and disenfranchised of all races. It's not a matter of race, creed or religion. It's a matter of humanity and we all, black and white, need to work together to move forward, not get stuck in the past.

Love your new signature, Bella.

edit: typo corrected.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:12 pm
Thanks J_B. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:58 pm
J_B wrote:
Cinnesthesia wrote:

I've been reading this thread but haven't wanted to post because, well - just because. Cinn, your question brings me back to Noah's response to Zane being able to prove his race.

Noah, I could set up a login calling myself J_B the Martian and while some might actually believe it, other's wouldn't. You've come here spouting a bunch of rhetoric about racism and history and then don't want to believe you don't speak for your entire race or that everyone here isn't white. If Zane can't prove he's black then neither can you. You see yourself as all black people and you see everyone here as all white people. You're presentation that all blacks are the same and all whites are the same is simply wrong. If you, for one second, think that slavery would have ended if enough white people didn't think it should or that discrimination would have ended if enough white people didn't think it should then you are mistaken.

Sure there are still disadvantages and improvements that can be made for the poor and disenfranchised of all races. It's not a matter of race, creed or religion. It's a matter of humanity and we all, black and white, need to work together to move forward, not get stuck in the past.

Love your new signature, Bella.

edit: typo corrected.

I know that I do not speak for my entire race and never claimed to. Where did I say that I speak for every black person? I can name off a litany of famous black folks who would disagree with me. The point is not whether one agrees with me, but rather, can they demonstrate that there disagreement is born from facts and logic. People can disagree for a variety of reasons….ignorance, spite, conflict of interest, bias, evil ect. The fact that a person disagrees means nothing. Many people on this forum simply disagree with me presenting the truth of history…even without recommendations for a solution. So do not make me laugh at your absurdities. I proving that I am black do not change any of my premise, inference or conclusions. If you like…think of me as being orange. Who gives a flying puck? It has no bearing on the validity of the history, cause and effect, actions and reactions and the present being the creation of the past.

I never stated that all black folks are the same and all white folks are the same. Show me were I said that or where my points are dependant upon such an assumption? I can tell you this. Nearly all, over 90%, of black people in America are descendants of slaves in America. Now, not all white people are descendants of slave masters, but all of you are beneficiaries of the crimes against humanity perpetrated against black people in creating this nation that you now enjoy…on average much more than everyone else.

It IS a matter of race because race was used for nearly 4 centuries to divide up opportunity. Now the present is the effect of that past cause and so race DOES matter. You do not want it to matter because you do not want to see the reminder of white folk's wickedness. When one talks about black problems of today, you are talking about the evils of white folks yesterday and today. That's why you just want to focus on the poor and not race…you don't want reminders or the paper trail of white wickedness.
0 Replies

surfdude

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:
C'mon kids, time to admit we're all evil and disgusting descendents of evil and disgusting people.

This I believe as Bible truth!

That haveing been said... As I have been glancing through this thread I have been looking for comments that have to do with the original title of this mess..."What does slavery have to do with today?"

While I too became caught up in the hot button issue of racial standings in our counrty, aside from my own admission that I employ todays modern slaves (in my case Mexicans in construction) I haven't read any comments that truely address the subject here.

What does slavery have to do with today? RACE CARD ASIDE; Everything. Slavery has always been and is currently alive and well in America. We just call these slaves a different name. Illegal Aliens.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:27 pm
Noah, you sound like an unhappy person. Personally unhappy, not just in the Angry Black Man sense.
0 Replies