What does slavery have to do with Today?

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 03:50 pm
Now that its Black history month, PBS is once again presenting a series of documentaries on the oppressive reality of black history in America. Each time I witness these documentaries and others like them, I never become acclimated or desensitized to the horrors and inhumanity of it. It was just atrocious, physically, economically and psychologically upon black people and it lasted an extremely long time.

Black people have been in America for 386 years. From 1619 to the year 2005, we have existed in this land. What that breaks down to in percentages is this. From 1619 to the emancipation of 1864 represents 245 years of black slavery, which constitutes 63% of our total time spent in this land, as a people, in slavery. After emancipation and up to the passage of civil rights laws of the 1964, there was 100 year period of peonage and Jim Crow were governments allowed for the oppression of black people via laws. Those 100 years represents 26% of our total stay in this land under a non slavery form of legal oppression. Thus, adding together the years in slavery and under legalized non slavery oppression of Jim Crow, 345 or our 386 years in this nation has been under the weight of government sanctioned oppression. That represents 89% of our time, as a people, in this land having been under the weight of legal oppression.

Now, invariably, there are people who will look at these documentaries and the inhumanity of it, then place it in a temporal vacuum. They will say "yes that was terrible and inhumane….but what does it have to do with today"? They will note that all the slave masters and all the slaves are now dead and gone and all that is now in the past...so move on. Some people then incredulously and or disingenuously ask, "And what does that past have to do with you or black white dynamics today?" Another way to ask that question where one can see it for its nominal face value is to ask "What does the past have to do with the present?" Well, given that the present is the summation and creation of the past, the past has everything to do with the present.

The physics of existence is that the reaction from impact expands exponentially greater in time and space than the actual moment and place of impact. If one throws a stone into a pond, the moment and place of impact is expanded by time and space in the reaction of the reverberation of waves expanding out in time and space. The actual time that blacks have spent in the impact of slavery will be much smaller in time and space than the reactions that reverberate from slaveries impact. There were 4 million blacks in slavery in 1864 and now there are 40 million black people in America. Slavery existed in certain states, but now blacks are spread all throughout the nation. Thus, physically black people have expanded in time and space and the problems inherited (such as the lack of wealth and problems with racial esteem and indentity) or passed down from our oppression reverberate as well, as long with the benefits to America from our oppression. However, the reverberations fatigue over time, but one cannot intelligently expect that an impact of oppression that lasted 345 years can naturally fatigue or dissipate in 40 years. Hence, the socio-economic gaps between blacks and whites in America are the direct resultant of years of oppression.

Of course there are others, motivated by attempts to obfuscate and misdirect, who will look at the presentation of such history as "victimology" or playing the "Blame game". What they are doing in effect is protecting the perpetrators and benefactors or accessories to the crime against black humanity. By eliminating the "victim" you also eliminate the "perpetrators or accessories" to the crime. If rapist can convince a rape victim that she wanted, enjoyed and benefited from the act as much as the raper, then she is no longer a victim and hence he is no longer a perpetrator or rapist. He can only be prosecuted if she is willing to see herself as a victim and hence pursue justice. Thus, his self interest is to convince the lady not to prosecute...if possible, by convincing her that she was not a victim. There is a movement to convince black people that we have not been rapped as a people, in order to keep the accessories (the US and state governments) from being prosecuted. They want people to take note of the child created from the brutal and tortuous rape, which we would not have to enjoy if not for the rape. That child is the America of Today, which comes to black people only by virtue of the enslavement of our ancestors. They want us to now look at Africa and think how blessed and fortunate we are to be here in America, the offspring of the brutal rapping of our ancestors and Native Americans. Thus, we are not "victims", we are "benefactors".

A lot of white people will try to separate bad white folks from themselves. "My ancestors never owned any slaves", is the dominant cry. White people have an aversion to connecting themselves to whites when it's something bad, but have no such aversion when it's something good. They will tell you that their ancestors never owned any slaves, but they will fail to tell you that their ancestors never lifted a finger to change the situation for the better. There have always been white folks, who fought against slavery, but they were as few as the slave owners themselves and most white folks are not descendants of them. Therefore, they cannot take credit for their "goodness", just like they refuse to make linkage to white slave-owners "badness". In fact, most whites were historically accessories to the crime, because they received benefit and knew what was going on. Anytime you eliminate a segment of humanity from the competition for economic opportunity and wealth, probabilities for opportunity and wealth are thus increased for those not eliminated. Moreover, the trickle down economic effect from the wealth created from slavery created many spin off industries and services for the white free economy. Also, more people became rich in America from real estate than by any other means. During the agrarian era, land was made valuable and productive via slavery. There is not question that this nation that whites flocked from Europe to is the fruits of black enslavement and native genocide.

When people like my self present these facts of history, I will invariably be gleaned as a person motivated by hate and resentment. Of course we all know this is an attempt to discredit the message via discrediting the messenger. They cannot refute the truth of the message so they will attempt to discredit the messenger in hopes to misdirect and obfuscate from the impact of the substance . The truth is they never accuse PBS or whites of being motivated by anger and hate when they present the same history and facts. That charge is reserved for black individuals with the audacity to speak the truth. Even though I have never stated in this (or any other) essay that I hate white folks or that I am even angry at them, this is the impression that many, if not most, will come away with. Given that I only presented history and not statements of emotions regarding my feelings towards whites, they must be "projecting" what their minds thinks should be the human response or reaction to such a history….which is anger and hate. In other words, they are telling me that had this been there history, they would be full of hate and anger. Well….its my history and I am not full of hate or anger. I just want the truth to be told, justice and reparations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 11,915 • Replies: 149
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:03 am
Lighten up, Francis.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:18 am
That respond had no intrinsic value...which is insulting giving the nature of the history of black people in this nation. To just flip off this history with a "lighten up" is disrespectful to black people and our struggles.

Is that "light" enough for you? Maybe what you really mean is "whiten up" or to take the "white perspective" and forget about it and its aftermath.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:33 am
Noah The African wrote:
That respond had no intrinsic value...which is insulting giving the nature of the history of black people in this nation. To just flip off this history with a "lighten up" is disrespectful to black people and our struggles.

Is that "light" enough for you? Maybe what you really mean is "whiten up" or to take the "white perspective" and forget about it and its aftermath.

Come on. I am not saying racism is gone but it isn't just whites who need to realize that and change things. Racism today is the issue. I will not pay reparation. I will not be subject to reverse racism. I didn't do it so don't make me pay for it. I will never pay reparations. It's like asking my best friends brother to say he's sorry for something his sister did. Feeling guilty about something I didn't have any hand in is ridiculous. I live in an area with blacks, arabs, chinese, whites....I don't have any problems with other races so why should I have to bend over and kiss your butt?
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:45 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Noah The African wrote:

Come on. I am not saying racism is gone but it isn't just whites who need to realize that and change things. Racism today is the issue. I will not pay reparation. I will not be subject to reverse racism. I didn't do it so don't make me pay for it. I will never pay reparations. It's like asking my best friends brother to say he's sorry for something his sister did. Feeling guilty about something I didn't have any hand in is ridiculous. I live in an area with blacks, arabs, chinese, whites....I don't have any problems with other races so why should I have to bend over and kiss your butt?

Well, the fact of the matter is that the precedent has already been set for citizens to assume the debts that are the product of government actions. The fact is that the GOVERNMENT legalized and facilitated the oppression of black people by individuals. This is a government of the people, for the people and by the people and the majority of THOSE PEOPLE that allowed this were WHITE.

I am not expecting white folks to pay reparations…rather; I am simply EXPOSING you all for who you really are. Come on now…do you think that I would think that a people (white folks) who allowed our enslavement for 245 years and who allowed 100 years of apartheid and who frequently still discriminate…would pay reparations? That's laughable. It would assume that I assumed some sort of character shift in white people to the point that they are somehow different from whites in the past. You might not be the racist that knocked me down…but you might be the racist that attempts to keep me from getting up.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
Ok, call me a racist. But I want you to be a white person in Detroit.

Talk about racism. I am really welcome there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:49 am
Let me rephrase that....because not all black people I know are racist.

A lot of black people where I live, don't want us whities in their neighborhood. How in the hell and I suppose to respect someone who looks at me like I don't belong? You wanna talk about how unfair whites treat you but how fair do you treat whites? And maybe not you. I don't know you. I can't say. But others of your race. I won't speak for the entire white population cuz there are plenty out there who are embarrassments to the human race, but I also won't allow you to tell me about who I am and what i believe.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:54 am
And if you say whites don't make you feel like you belong I will just say that not all whites make you feel that way. And it they do, you are meeting the wrong people.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:55 am
Francis? Shocked

Sorry, Noah, please continue. I don't have much to say on the subject because having been a part of the jazz boys, there was no racism, just everyone trying to cut each other in a jam session.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:58 am
Noah The African wrote:
I am not expecting white folks to pay reparations…rather; I am simply EXPOSING you all for who you really are. Come on now…do you think that I would think that a people (white folks) who allowed our enslavement for 245 years and who allowed 100 years of apartheid and who frequently still discriminate…would pay reparations? That's laughable. It would assume that I assumed some sort of character shift in white people to the point that they are somehow different from whites in the past. You might not be the racist that knocked me down…but you might be the racist that attempts to keep me from getting up.

Is the tolerance and understanding that you are showing here the same way you want us to act towards you? Rolling Eyes

I am convinced that as long as we continue to make race an issue, racism will also be an issue. We preach equality and then segregate ourselves by pointing out the differences in ourselves. For example you call yourself "Noah the African." Simply by calling yourself this you are choosing to make race an issue. We say that race and the color of our skin doesn't matter and then you rub it in our face whenever it suits your purpose.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:04 am
Blacks being racist against white people is almost accepted now. Watch stand up comedy. What's the ratio of a black comedian joking about whites compared to a white comedian joking about blacks?

I saw a clip of one of the Wayans brothers doing stand up before he hit big. One of his jokes was "A funny thing happened today...I killed fo' white people."

Imagine if the race roles were reversed there.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:06 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok, call me a racist. But I want you to be a white person in Detroit.

Talk about racism. I am really welcome there.

I used to live in Detroit. Detroit blacks came from the segragates, Jim Crow south for better opportunities and less racism.

When you are dealing with most African Americans....you are dealing with the REACTION to historical white racism. Every action produces a reaction. What would you think is the NATURAL reaction for a people oppressed for nearly 4 centuries based upon their color not being "White", by people who were "white"? Do you think that blacks would now welcome and trust whites with open arms? Thats silly? What you are dealing with in regards to "black racism" is really the reaction of black people to the history of white racism.

White folks (not all) made the bed...now you don't want to lay it it.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:09 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Blacks being racist against white people is almost accepted now. Watch stand up comedy. What's the ratio of a black comedian joking about whites compared to a white comedian joking about blacks?

I saw a clip of one of the Wayans brothers doing stand up before he hit big. One of his jokes was "A funny thing happened today...I killed fo' white people."

Imagine if the race roles were reversed there.

This is obfuscation and misdirection. Are you comparing "Black jokes about whites" with 345 years of physical, mental and economic oppression? If all white folks ever did was joke about black people...black people would be infinately better off around the world than today.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:11 am
Of course I don't want to lay in it! IT ISN'T MY BED.

Now instead of historical white racism, we have open black racism from people like you. People like you who make the black population sound like a bunch of crazy, white hating, angry people.
Rolling Eyes

Not everyone wants revenge. I know plenty of blacks who would love nothing more than for people like you to shut up and DO something about it. Join the rest of us and quit blaming. Be proactive, not reactive.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:22 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Of course I don't want to lay in it! IT ISN'T MY BED.

Now instead of historical white racism, we have open black racism from people like you. People like you who make the black population sound like a bunch of crazy, white hating, angry people.
Rolling Eyes

Not everyone wants revenge. I know plenty of blacks who would love nothing more than for people like you to shut up and DO something about it. Join the rest of us and quit blaming. Be proactive, not reactive.

Maam...did you create America? Did you fight in any past wars to create Americas freedoms....if not...then why do you figure you get to lay in the bed of the beneifts accrued from others sacrafices? You want to lay in the bed of benefits created by others in the past...but you do not want to lay in the bed of liabilities created by others in the past. It seems to me that to follow your logic and reasoning...that you should leave this nation...because most of what it is you did not create...yet...you lay in it.

Please entertain me by pointing out how I I seek revenge? Do you equate equality with revenge? I guess if the goal of whites was or is superiority of condition and discrimination in the favor of whites for centuries was a conduit to that superiority....then yes...the promotion of equality would be revenge in the eyes of whites.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:25 am
I can lay in bed at night and feel secure because that's why the people who fought and died for this country fought and died.

You want reparation. For what? What did I do to you? You want something that does not belong to you. You want something that belongs to the blacks who suffered through slavery. You want to be compensated for the wrongs done to your ancestors.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:26 am
It sounds to me that you have the problem here, not me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
You tell me why you think I owe you.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:30 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I can lay in bed at night and feel secure because that's why the people who fought and died for this country fought and died.

You want reparation. For what? What did I do to you? You want something that does not belong to you. You want something that belongs to the blacks who suffered through slavery. You want to be compensated for the wrongs done to your ancestors.

You did not answer the question which is principle to your objection. Is it true that you receive the benefits of and in America that is not the product of your creation? If you will not answer honestly, I will do it for you. YES!!!! Yet, you say you do not want liabilities of others based upon the fact that you did not create them. Do you see how you like disingenuous in principle here? Now, ask yourself the question of HOW and WHY this contradiction exists. There is an inherent bias that leads to it that you are failing to address.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
So what would you like for me to say? That I owe you something? I don't owe you anything.

I don't owe the people who built this country anything. They did it of their owe free will. I respect them. I thank them. But I don't owe them. And I know that the people who fought for all the freedoms I have, wouldn't ask me for reparation for what they went through.
0 Replies