What does slavery have to do with Today?

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:10 pm
^ lol
niicee
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 04:15 pm
Quote:
I am demonstrating no emotions in this essay in regards to white people.

Hmm then you must a be a robot. And I don't believe robot opinions are to considered. How bout you argue with both a brain and a heart and not just stone cold (il)logic. If we all did just that then no one would be alive because everything would have to be balanced. The world doesn't work like that. Grow up and realize that.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:42 am
Just accept the fact that you all have no LOGICAL repudiation for what I have stated....but most of you are still against it. What does it say about a person if they cannot logically support their beliefs...yet still have them? It says that ones self interest is not TRUTH
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:57 am
Noah The African wrote:
It says that ones self interest is not TRUTH

That pretty much describes you Noah. This is only about YOU, not race and racism. Nobody's listening.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
Yet...you failed to demonstrate that my interest is not truth. I have demonstrated and logically contradicted the reasoning provided by posters. Yet, they don't experience an epiphany or paradigm shift in thinking or beliefs.

You think this is about ME...only because OTHERS fail to present an argument that can logicaly and truthfully defeat my thesis. Thus, you seem to think this is me shinning the spotligth on myself. You are wrong. I am simply shinning the light on truth and watching the vampires run into the darkness after the light come on. People are nol listening because THEY ARE AFRAID of the LIGHT OF TRUTH.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:58 am
but, but, but, Noah. You didn't say one thing about the Jazz boys or Clifford Brown.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:26 pm
Letty wrote:
but, but, but, Noah. You didn't say one thing about the Jazz boys or Clifford Brown.

I am afraid you have the upper hand. I do not know of what you speak.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:55 pm
Well, I mentioned that there was no racism among Jazz musicians, Noah, and anyone who doesn't know Clifford Brown, one of the finest trumpet men in the business, should listen to Jam session. It's an ill wind that blows no horn.

And as for slavery, we're all slaves to something.

The wealthy: slaves to money and power
The average American: slaves to the IRS
Children: slaves to parents or vice versa

I would mention that you are one fantastic writer, Noah, but you might somehow twist that into an insult, when it is just an honest observation.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:19 pm
Letty...I am more focused on the big picture and cause and effect/actions and rections that take place over time. What is true of parts does not mean that it is true for the whole. What is true for the whole does not make it true for every part. There are always exceptions to the rule...but the exceptions do not create the rule.

On the ground in a forest...you may see many trees without leaves. However, when looking at the big picture from high above....all you can see is green. The dominat truth shapes the appearance of the big picture.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
Consider this, Noah. (and I am familiar with Gestalt) Jazz is the only pure American music. It began in the cotton fields. That's quite a legacy even though it was generated on the back of slaves. Having formerly been a Virginian, I am also well apprised of how that state has evolved. Unfortunately, they made a step forward, then a step back, but that's the evolution of politics, not individual thinking.

You see, my friend, we of today can not be responsible for the past, although we can certainly learn from it, but we can and must be responsible for the future. Quite frankly, Noah, I, at this point, am most concerned about my family. To me They ARE the big picture.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:25 pm
The thing about human nature is that we have a propensity to rationalize our self interest and to place that self interest about the interest of truth. You, being so closely tied and dependant to a black born phenomenon, Jazz, your self interest is the preservation of the benefit or pleasure. Thus, you do not want to deal with any truths that threaten your relationship and benefit from "black culture". You motives, like all humans, are purely selfish.

You might fear that such information of history might make you less received in the circles that you frequent as a Jazz artist, if you are white. You might fear that it would make blacks more militant and promote a sense of black unity, thus, threatening your pleasure. Hence, if such were your subconscious or conscious state of mind, you would want these truths suppressed, because they work against your self interest.

I am not saying that I know this is true for you, however. What I do know is that there are many white people who have become self proclaimed "Ras Tafari". They gain some sort of benefit or pleasure for the culture and religion of Ras Tafari. However, as a white person, they feel alienated by the "blackness" and African centered core of the Rasta Fari. Thus, they want to come in and try and CHANGE the movement and the truth of what the Rasta seek and preechÂ….just so that they can "be a part of it". They have a problem with the Rasta talk and chant of the evils of white western civilization (Babylon) upon Ethiopian (afrikan) peoples. This is simply the FACTS of history. Yet, the white Rasta wants to remove reference to this true history so that he can be a part of the culture and receive pleasure.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:44 pm
So the white man tries to eliminate race as a barrier and the black man tries to fortify it so he can continue claiming victimization and be uninclusive? Yup that sounds right Noah.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:46 pm
Well, I will say this, Noah. You are right about the "fear" part. I have always claimed that there are only two emotions, fear and love, but you have assumed incorrectly when you say that my jazz orientation is derived from pleasure; it is derived from appreciation, and I think most musicians will agree. I have no idea what Ras Tafari is, so I cannot comment.

Lets you and I agree to do this. You call me by my name, and I will call you by your name. In that way, we are our names and not our ethnicity.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:51 pm
A name does not describe your being. Also, I am sure that you consider yourself an "American". What is the differnce of "American" vs ethnicity?

As white people...you DO NOT have to look at history and the past to understand the present. That is your perogative. However, you do not have the perogative to suggest how black people should view history or choose to indentify with our ethnicity.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:53 pm
Quote:
You call me by my name, and I will call you by your name. In that way, we are our names and not our ethnicity.

Hey theres a cool idea; drop the race card and treat everyone the same? Whoa I must, like, not understand black peoples' plights or w/e schpiel Noah will tell me about not seeing the truth and being illogical.

EDIT: Noah why do u never address my posts?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:47 pm
We are both accidents of birth, Noah.

el Diablo, you be funny and I be off to do stuff.

This has been an interesting discussion.
0 Replies

Noah The African

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:49 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Quote:
You call me by my name, and I will call you by your name. In that way, we are our names and not our ethnicity.

Hey theres a cool idea; drop the race card and treat everyone the same? Whoa I must, like, not understand black peoples' plights or w/e schpiel Noah will tell me about not seeing the truth and being illogical.

EDIT: Noah why do u never address my posts?

I do address your post when I have time. It is me against all of you detractors. I do not have time to address everyone. Besides...all you seem to say is hypocrit. Whether or not that is true...it does not repudiate the validity of my propositions against detractors. Furthermore, I do not even agree that I have been hypocritical...the only point that had merit was the claim that you all have bias...when I too have bias. I should have qualified that by saying that I have a bias and that bias is the quest for the TRUTH, while you and others bias is to maintain your preconcieved notions, even if they are NOT true.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:57 pm
Quote:
So the white man tries to eliminate race as a barrier and the black man tries to fortify it so he can continue claiming victimization and be uninclusive? Yup that sounds right Noah.

That's one point i find interesting about your article. What say you to it?

Quote:
I do address your post when I have time. It is me against all of you detractors. I do not have time to address everyone. Besides...all you seem to say is hypocrit. Whether or not that is true...it does not repudiate the validity of my propositions against detractors. Furthermore, I do not even agree that I have been hypocritical...the only point that had merit was the claim that you all have bias...when I too have bias. I should have qualified that by saying that I have a bias and that bias is the quest for the TRUTH, while you and others bias is to maintain your preconcieved notions, even if they are NOT true.

Nah i don't want you to respond to the "hypocrite" posts. Just the ones where i make a point. And im admit I'm flawed so those posts may be few and far between.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:13 pm
Noah The African wrote:
The thing about human nature is that we have a propensity to rationalize our self interest and to place that self interest about the interest of truth.

Hmmm.. Having just watched the PBS series and then reading this entire thread you have no idea how prophetic your very own words appear here.

It seems that you've used the series to justify your own view of the truth.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:57 pm
Noah.

What do you consider justice for the crime of slavery? You mentioned reparations; how much money do you want?
0 Replies