Is the US concerned about nerve gas attacks in Great Britain?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 03:57 pm
@georgeob1,
Pretty well, considering my age.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Aren't we all !
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 04:22 pm
Quote:
glitterbag wrote:
... I spent 32 years working for DOD

You must have emptied a lot of garbage cans, thank you for your service.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2018 07:36 pm
@coldjoint,
Well not everyone is as wizard smart as you are frosty.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 11:56 am
The latest. It's headline news over here. Even the World Cup takes second place.

Quote:
The couple poisoned by Novichok were exposed to the substance after handling a contaminated item, police say.

Charlie Rowley, 45, and Dawn Sturgess, 44, collapsed at a house in Amesbury, Wiltshire, on Saturday and remain critically ill.

Home secretary Sajid Javid said the nerve agent was the same as that used on ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in March.

Russia said Theresa May's government was subjecting them "to hell".

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova urged police not to be led by the "dirty political game" and said she was confident London would have to apologise to Russia.

Mr Javid accused Russia of using Britain as a "dumping ground for poison" after the second incident involving the nerve agent.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said that because the highest concentration of Novichok was found on the couple's hands, police believe the item they handled could be a container or reciprocal that was used to carry the nerve agent.

He said the most likely hypothesis is that the Novichok was left over from an item discarded after the attack on the Skripals.

The BBC's home affairs correspondent June Kelly said it has been suggested the item "could be a vial or syringe because of the couple's lifestyle".

Debbie Stark, south west deputy director from Public Health England said the risk to the public of further poisoning incidents "remains low".

Police have set up a helpline for anyone who needs further advice: 0800 092 0410 or 0207 158 0124.

In a statement to MPs, Mr Javid said: "It is now time that the Russian state comes forward and explains exactly what has gone on."

He said the "strong working assumption" was that the couple came into contact with Novichok in a different location to the sites which had been part of the clean-up operation in near-by Salisbury after the Skripal poisoning.

"It is completely unacceptable for our people to be either deliberate or accidental targets, or for our streets, our parks, our towns, to be dumping grounds for poison," he added.

He said he could not rule out the possibility that the Novichok found in Amesbury was from the same batch used in the Salisbury attack and that scientists "will be looking into that."

Earlier, Mrs May said it was "deeply disturbing" to see two more people exposed to Novichok in the UK, and the police would leave "no stone unturned in their investigation".

Shadow home secretary Diane Abbott said British streets must not be allowed to become "killing fields for state actors".

On Saturday, paramedics were called twice to a house in Muggleton Road in Amesbury - first at 11:00 BST after Ms Sturgess collapsed, then later, after Mr Rowley also fell ill.

Wiltshire Police said it was initially thought the two patients had been using heroin or crack cocaine from a contaminated batch of drugs.

They explained that this assessment was based on items located at the address where the couple fell ill, information from a friend of the pair and the "initial medical diagnosis".

In the early hours of Wednesday police declared a "major incident" after revealing the couple had been exposed to an "unknown substance".

By late that evening, Scotland Yard said Novichok was to blame following analysis at the defence research facility at Porton Down, Wiltshire.

Salisbury District Hospital's chief executive Cara Charles-Barks said the couple are "extremely unwell" and remain in a critical condition.

Partners Charlie Rowley and Dawn Sturgess spent Friday afternoon and evening visiting shops in Salisbury, the city where Mr Skripal and his daughter were poisoned.

The following day Ms Sturgess, who is understood to be a mother of three, was taken away on a stretcher by an ambulance crew.

Her friend Sam Hobson said she had appeared to have a fit and was "foaming at the mouth".

Shortly after, Mr Rowley started "rocking against the wall", said Mr Hobson.

"His eyes were wide open, glazed and pinpricked, and he was sweating, dribbling and making weird noises."

Mr Hobson said the police and firefighters were in "hazard suits" and "cordoned it all off".

Lots more at link.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44727191
glitterbag

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
I saw this on the news.........I have a few theories and it seems suspicious and unlikely that residue of the poison was inadvertently missed during clean-up. Let me check something and get back.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:16 pm
@glitterbag,
The thing is the poison has been found at numerous locations already. It doesn't look like it was a very professional job in the first place. If it was just tossed out of a car window or something like that, those are the sort of people who'd come across it.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
You're right, it doesn't look that professional. Either Russian intelligence is suffering personnel cuts from their ever-faltering economy, or the Russians' grip on the White House has emboldened them to the point that they don't think they even have to bother being careful anymore.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2018 12:26 pm
@Blickers,
My guess is that it was farmed out to some group so Russian intelligence can have some distance when the **** hits the fan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people who did it weren't even Russian, just in the same pension scheme.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:20 am
Perhaps the EU could come to the aid of the UK on this issue and apply some sanctions against the Russians. Their economic relations with Russia are far deeper than ours and they are likely Russia's largest export market.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:29 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Perhaps the EU could come to the aid of the UK on this issue and apply some sanctions against the Russians. Their economic relations with Russia are far deeper than ours and they are likely Russia's largest export market.
The poisoning in March already caused a major diplomatic fallout with Russia and sanctions by nearly all EU-countries.

While the British police still races to find the source of the new nerve agent poisoning - you have some knowledge why the EU should be involved and why then more sanctions against Russia should be imposed?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe Trump should stop sucking off Putin.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 10:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Maybe Trump should stop sucking off Putin.

Maybe May should stop sucking off Islam. What do you think?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:01 am
@coldjoint,
I think your a racist and an isolationist and an embarrassment.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:02 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I think your a racist and an isolationist and an embarrassment.

Good for you. Why don't you go out and buy yourself a little something to celebrate. Laughing Laughing Laughing
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:08 am
@coldjoint,
Good idea, I been thinking about replacing my BMW with an Audi.....we love our Audi and the BMW’ is already 3 years old and the wiper blades should be replaced.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:11 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Good idea, I been thinking about replacing my BMW with an Audi.

The government wastes too much money on pensions. You are living proof.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:14 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Maybe May should stop sucking off Islam. What do you think?
So you think, the poising was done by Muslim Russians?
coldjoint

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
So you think, the poising was done by Muslim Russians?

No, Wally. I am just pointing out, again, that Islam is held in higher regard than the English citizens(subjects). It seems they(powers that be) wish to have them subjugated again. That is Islams intention and the UK government is complicit.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2018 11:19 am
@coldjoint,
Dont you get a little tired jumping to conclusions all the time? I don’t want you to stop, it’s just too much fun reading your knee jerk outbursts.