Is the US concerned about nerve gas attacks in Great Britain?

RABEL222

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 03:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Russia? Would that be the Russia our president Trump just declared our best European friend? The Russia who hacked in to our election data bases? The Russia who declared 60 years ago we will bury you?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 06:45 pm
@RABEL222,
Well, it seems Trump's bromance with Putin is a given. He trusts Putin over our own government.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 07:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
He trusts Putin over our own government.

Nope. He does not trust Obama's intelligence agencies. I do not blame him. Stop telling half truths.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 07:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote Cicerone:
Quote:
Well, it seems Trump's bromance with Putin is a given. He trusts Putin over our own government.
Trump doesn't really trust Putin to say the truth, not that that has ever mattered much to him. Trump just knows that he'd better endorse the Putin version of things or all the dirty deals he's been up to with the Russkies for decades becomes public knowledge.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 08:03 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
or all the dirty deals he's been up to with the Russkies for decades becomes public knowledge.

Another way of saying I hope something really bad happens so Trump is no longer president, even a nuclear war. Thanks for the input.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 09:10 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Russia? Would that be the Russia our president Trump just declared our best European friend? The Russia who hacked in to our election data bases? The Russia who declared 60 years ago we will bury you?

Russia is a nation not a person. Then USSR Party Sec. Khrushchev made the "we will bury you" statement on behalf of the worldwide Communist movement - it was merely a postulate in their flawed concept of history. As things turned out, we buried them. The Russian state and empire today is but a shadow of the former USSR & satellites. Their economy is smaller than that of California.

Interference in the politics of other nations is the rule, not the exception throughout the modern age, and today. The IT revolution certainly opens new doors for such actions, and we should develop countermeasures. However. there is scant evidence that Russia's efforts significantly influenced the results of our recent election.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 09:45 pm
I imagine that Mr. Mueller--a life-long and loyal Republican--would dissent from that pronouncement. Of course, anyone reading here over the years will know that this member makes such pronouncements all the time, without bothering to explain them, or to substantiate them.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 09:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
without bothering to explain them, or to substantiate them.

How can he substantiate anything until the investigation is over and the consensus is Russia did not affect the outcome of the election?

A lifetime loyal Republican is now the same as any establishment politician, and they hate Trump. It does not matter if you answer, I made my point.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:23 am
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Interference in the politics of other nations is the rule, not the exception throughout the modern age, and today. The IT revolution certainly opens new doors for such actions, and we should develop countermeasures.
I see. So according to you, election interference is normal, and we should try to stop it being used against us, but nothing to get worried about.

Since Trump is always bragging how the US can use its economic power to have our way, why the sudden departure? Trump is the guy who pushes other world leaders out of his way, but now his adherents say that we should just accept that Russia went after our elections, and we should just shrug it off?

What a curious reversal of attitude.
Blickers

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:29 am
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
However. there is scant evidence that Russia's efforts significantly influenced the results of our recent election.
Right from the Russian troll playbook you see repeated over and over again on YouTube.

Now for a little reality check:

Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, top U.S. official says
by Cynthia McFadden, William M. Arkin and Kevin Monahan / Feb.07.2018 / 4:39 PM ET / Updated Feb.08.2018 / 7:28 AM ET

https://i.imgur.com/9ExKWtL.jpg?1
Jeanette Manfra, head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security.NBC News

The U.S. official in charge of protecting American elections from hacking says the Russians successfully penetrated the voter registration rolls of several U.S. states prior to the 2016 presidential election.

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated."

Jeh Johnson, who was DHS secretary during the Russian intrusions, said, "2016 was a wake-up call and now it's incumbent upon states and the Feds to do something about it before our democracy is attacked again."

"We were able to determine that the scanning and probing of voter registration databases was coming from the Russian government."

NBC News reported in Sept. 2016 that more than 20 states had been targeted by the Russians.
NBC
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:31 am
@Blickers,
Blickers.

Do you acknowledge that our government routinely interferes in other governments, spies, and uses disinformation campaigns designed to have our way in other countries?

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:34 am
@Lash,
The leaders of said countries don't respond by licking the American president's arse. That's a big difference.
Blickers

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:42 am
@Lash,
Lash: The fact that we spy on other governments does not mean that we don't force other governments to pay heavily when they spy on us.

What would you do, declare an "open door, open information" policy to authoritarian governments to come over and take all the national security info that we have?
Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:50 am
I wonder if MI6 is a fancy gentleman’s cigar club.

Bundesnachrichtendienst is basically a immigrant jobs finding service, really.

Mossad is a farm to table agricultural association.

The General Directorate for External Security in France is headed by Inspector Clouseau, so there’s lots of people jumping out of closets and chasing their manservants around with nunchucks. These guys are the most dangerous.

China’s Ministry of State Security isn’t a worry for us at all, since most of their time is spent staring through oversized binoculars at Taiwan.

It is preposterous to think that the CIA is anything other than the most patriotic, law-abiding Americans who spend weekends advising Boy Scouts. They never assassinated anyone or overthrew other governments or trained one group of terrorists to murder another group of terrorists and their children.
Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:52 am
@Blickers,
I would say we open our eyes to EVERYTHING that’s happening, try to minimize our crimes, and continue to vociferously protect ourselves.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 08:53 am
@izzythepush,
Oooh.

Who’s naive now?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Bundesnachrichtendienst is basically a immigrant jobs finding service, really.
Your source for that will be more than interesting, because the BND only works outside Germany by law - the MI6 is the foreign intelligence service for the UK as well, as far as it known.

The DGSE and CIA will do their in the UK, though, whatever it is.
Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Your spidey-sense re irony needs brushing.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:12 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Your spidey-sense re irony needs brushing.
So you do know that the BND is working inside Germany? (Besides having the offices here, I mean)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 09:19 am
Walter says:
“the BND works only outside Germany by law”
Walter says:
“You do know the BND works inside Germany”

Walter, this is a great example of the lengths you will traverse to say the opposite of whatever I say.

Get with yourself and figure out what you actually think about the BND. I’m going to have to insist you choose whether or not the BND works inside or outside of Germany before I respond.

😼