Is the US concerned about nerve gas attacks in Great Britain?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:34 am
@georgeob1,
coldjoint wrote:

They .. ..have a long history of abuse by imperialists. They have a good memory and want no part of either now.

georgeob1 wrote:

I'll agree that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have, at various times, been pawns in the imperialist struggles of several major European Powers
Without any doubt this region was part struggles of various European neighbour countries. But "imperalist"? Or is that term used differently in the USA than elsewhere?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:36 am
@georgeob1,
Sweden, I thought. Then I looked it up and found this. https://louisproyect.org/2015/07/09/swedish-imperialism-in-africa/
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

They .. ..have a long history of abuse by imperialists. They have a good memory and want no part of either now.

georgeob1 wrote:

I'll agree that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have, at various times, been pawns in the imperialist struggles of several major European Powers
Without any doubt this region was part struggles of various European neighbour countries. But "imperalist"? Or is that term used differently in the USA than elsewhere?

No, it doesn't have a different meaning...Apparently that is the new word being used for propaganda purposes.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:42 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Abuse by which imperialists?

At various times Sweden, Russia and Prussia, but mostly Russia

Wow, I forgot all about the time when Russia was conquered by Russian Imperialists. And of course there is always the old slogan "The sun never sets on the Swedish Empire"
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Reflecting on the impact of Islam on Iran, Naipaul wrote “Islam in Iran was even more complicated. It was a divergence from the main belief; and this divergence had its roots in the political-racial dispute about the succession to the Prophet, who died in 632 A.D. Islam, almost from the start, had been an imperialism as well as a religion, with an early history remarkably like a speeded-up version of the history of Rome, developing from city-state to peninsular overlord to empire, with corresponding stresses at every stage.” P. 7 [Emphasis mine]

Defeat these arguments and get back to me.

http://www.unashamedofthegospel.org/islamic-imperialism.cfm
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

[I'll agree that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania have, at various times, been pawns in the imperialist struggles of several major European Powers. Without any doubt this region was part struggles of various European neighbour countries. But "imperalist"? Or is that term used differently in the USA than elsewhere?

How would you describe the alliance facing Sweden in the Northern War, or the response of its then new King Charles XII after his victories over Czar Peter? Same goes for the subsequent expansion of Prussia, and the 20th century wars between Germany and Russia. All were clearly imperialistic efforts to gain territory and expand the rule of the peoples involved over others.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
@glitterbag,
Well, I've looked it up in various US-academic sources. But they use it they same way as elsewhere - even that it was originally coined in France in the 1830''s for the Napoleonic empire and later expended to Louis Napoleon., Napoleon III ...

Perhaps, George, you are referring to the Swedes because they had had colonies as well?
https://i.imgur.com/rd4orI3h.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:55 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't think about the possibly of the Swedes poisoning British citizens.......do you think the Swedes are beefing up their military and attempting to conquer the world again? Damn, we took our eyes off the Swedes. Curses.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 11:55 am
@coldjoint,
Yes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Saw your response only now.

My responses were related to the pre-Russian period of the Baltic Staes, pre the Great Northern War, to be precise.
My bad.

Prussia?
https://i.imgur.com/EPSmn2C.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Perhaps, George, you are referring to the Swedes because they had had colonies as well?

I am indeed. Finland and Estonia have been pawns in the Imperialist struggles between Sweden and Russia, just as have Poland and Lithuania in such struggles between Russia and Germany, and to some extent Napoleonic France and the Hapsburg Empire.

You appear to be rather nit picking and defensive here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:09 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
How would you describe the alliance facing Sweden in the Northern War, or the response of its then new King Charles XII after his victories over Czar Peter? Same goes for the subsequent expansion of Prussia, and the 20th century wars between Germany and Russia. All were clearly imperialistic efforts to gain territory and expand the rule of the peoples involved over others.
Well, I've actually thought about that.
I think, I'm rather conservative here, because I'm stuck to the kind of fixed terms used in history.

But if you general consider Imperialism to be when a country takes over new lands or countries and makes them subject to their rule - then I agree with you.
Since kings, empires, and nations have sought to impose their will and power over other subject peoples from the beginning of human history, the term "Imperialism" then has wider field as taught generally (" Colonialism and Imperialism", "from Imperialism to Globalisation" etc).
georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I'll agree that the term Imperialism is often used as a reference to the imperial colonial expansions of Britain, France. and Spain in particular. (Interestingly Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands also had colonies in North America, along with Spain, France and Britain. ) That said, I believe the long standing struggles among competing European Powers for empires within Europe had all of the defining characteristics of colonial imperialism, Certainly that applies to the wars among Prussia/Germany, France, Russia, Austria/Hungary and Sweden since the 18th century.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:32 pm
@georgeob1,
I'm now reading "OUTPOSTS" by Simon Winchester (one of my favorite authors) about the British Empire and the countries they colonized. His travel around the world to visit all these extraordinary places is an interesting and educational read. I already read his "The Map That Changed the World, and Krakatoa."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 01:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Dang, are you saying the Brits have scientists???? I mean they have folks who can determine such things??? On behalf of my fellow citizens who don't realize such things can happen, I say "We are gobsmacked".

Sure they have. They would have been first and best in personal computers - if only they hadn't wasted time trying to build a pc with a leaky oil pan.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 01:11 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
that applies to the wars among Prussia/Germany, France, Russia, Austria/Hungary and Sweden since the 18th century.
Even at the risk of being called again a nitpicker:
Germany became into existence in 1871. And before, it wasn't only Prussia - Bavaria, Hannover, the various Hessian countries etc weren't different at all.

As an aside: in the 11th century, a local earl had had his territory up to the North Sea ...
https://i.imgur.com/qv4p0tul.jpg
... until he died childless. (That territory later became more than a dozen independent countries.)
Such kind of "imperialism" was common during the medieval time, and later, of course, too.

glitterbag

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 01:16 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Dang, are you saying the Brits have scientists???? I mean they have folks who can determine such things??? On behalf of my fellow citizens who don't realize such things can happen, I say "We are gobsmacked".

Sure they have. They would have been first and best in personal computers - if only they hadn't wasted time trying to build a pc with a leaky oil pan.

Not only that, but they drive on the wrong side of the road.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 01:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Does GAU have a meaning?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Gau ("pagus")is a Germanic term for a region, roughly corresponding to an English shire. Grafschaft ("comitatus") is more an administrative county. (In medieval times)

Charlemagne established the county principle after the defeat of the indigenous population of the east/north/southeast of his empire, but adopted existing regional concepts. The new central ruler appointed counts as his local deputies. And these counts somehow got more 'Gaus' ...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 03:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
WWII, as initiated by Germany, was clearly an imperialist war to subjugate neighbors, expropriate their lands and exploit their labor and economic output. The same goes for the USSR's behavior during and after that war. Both are accurately described as Imperialistic.

WWI was a tragic and largely unforeseen consequence of many factors, including a remarkably unstable network of alliances. However, even there imperial ambitions among the participants was a recognizable factor.
0 Replies