Estrostep FE....Know Anything About It?

angelgirl09178

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:47 am
I need some advice!!!! ASP
I am taking estrostep. I've been taking it for two years now. I am a Sunday starter. Well I always go on sundays to get my new pack of pills and the sunday almost three weeks ago I forgot. So I started my pills the next day but I just totally skipped the sunday pill. I read on the pamplet that if you take a white active pill for 7 days straight that after that you don't need any backup method of birth control. It's been 18 days of white pills without having sex. Do you think it's okay to have sex now and it would be safe. I only missed the first triange pill and have been taking it ever since. Tonight I start the round pill. Please help because I do not want to get pregnant and my husband wants sex but he doesn't want to wear a condom. Please help!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

fofas1204

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:53 pm
Estrostep Side effect
I have been taking these pills (Estrostep) now for a month and a half, and i have never had side effects with any other type of pills i have taken, for over 10 year until now. This particular brand is just not working for me. I have been extremely tired , and had heavy spotting...to me it was more tike having my Periods twice within a month, and it took longer days than my actual 3 days. I have been having headaches day after days. And now i cannot take it anymore. I also realised that i am breaking out on my face, and yet these are supposed to help reduce acne. I called my Doc and told him to take me off these pills, and give me a prescription for the pills i was taking before. I just can't take the side effects all all. I guess these pills just aren't for me. Good luck to all of you taking these, and if they work for you...hey... that's great.
0 Replies

dolphingirl

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:08 pm
Hey ladies I am new to all of this but I had a question. I have been on b/c pills for about 6 years now. I started on triphasil and switched to Yasmin a few months ago because of constant yeast infections and spotting about a week and a half before my actual period. I called my dr. and she said to try this estro step and I am nervous about changing again. Any ideas if it would help with the y infections and constant early periods? Thanks!
0 Replies

jml05

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:11 pm
My experience
So my experience and a question.

I started bc because of acne, not that it was bad but I wanted something to regulate my periods and my face. I originally was on Yasmin which was -horrible-. I cried all the time, was severly depressed and my doctor rather than sending me to a therapist finally changed my pills. I switched to Avaine, which was better but still not great. Finally I switched to Estrostep and have been on it for about a year. It is so much better! I do get a little moody when I switch to the circle pills, esp the first few, but really it's not that bad. I have read through all the other posts and I do feel some of the tiredness that other people are talking about, and get the muchies sometimes I guess. But when I'm good, going to the gym once a week and eating healthy helps a lot and makes a difference. I'm definitly glad I switched!

My question: ok so since Estrosteph has different amounts of hormones for each pill type can you still skip your period, ie go from one pack to the next without taking time off, without taking the inactive/brown pills? Thanks.
0 Replies

nunny20

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:40 am
My Personal experiences w/ Yasmin and Estrostep
Hello everyone,
This is the first time I've ever posted on the internet. I've read and re-read these posts trying to find some comfort with my expriences with BC. I first started on Ortho-Evra and discontinued b/c I couldn't stand the rashes it left behind. I then switched to OTC lo and was on that for about a year and a half and I had to switch b/c I was having SEVERE mood swings, and I would cry over spilt milk. Then my gyno switched me to Yasmin...this is when all the problems started to happen...I had absolutely no sex drive, I was constantly tired and run down. Unlike the OTC lo that fluctuated my moods like New England weather, Yasmin kept me a constant low. It was during this time that I started doing research on the internet. I was starting to see my hair thin and was freaking out. I didn't think much of my hair loss, b/c the exhaustion and constant low was more of an issue. So, my gyno switched me to Estrostep Fe. My moods were better and my sex drive improved but I was shedding hair like a husky in the spring. My hair was thinning and I was shedding so much hair that it was falling out when I would shampoo, and I would find at least 10 hairs in the dryer after doing laundry. I then switched back to OTC lo b/c I did not expreience any hair loss with it and since I've been on it for about 4 months I've seen a dramatic improvement in my hair loss. As far as the mood swings go...I haven't really experienced any. I think I have more control over my emotios since I am more aware of them. I am currently considering more natural forms of birth control such as the Billings Method, or even resorting back to barrier methods. I wish I could not alter my body the way I am with using BC but I'm at a time in my life in which pregnancy is not an option. I hope that everyone reading these posts have felt comfort and hope like I have.
Thank you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:42 am
Sorry about your experience nunny, but some people just cannot take bc pills. Hope things work out for you.
0 Replies

clynn

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
Estrostep
Hey there. I'm new to the board. I started taking Estrostep FE about a month and a half ago. I'm getting married in 3 weeks, and I think this Birth control is really messing with me. My face is completely broken out, I'm have EXTREME mood swings- extreme depression, tiredness, moody, I want to be alone, no sex drive, I don't want to talk to anyone, including my Fiance. Do you think this is because of the birth control? I called my doctor this morning and she said she has never seen such a strong reaction to a medication, so she was going to put me on something else. The weird thing is that one minute I'll be depressed, crying, not wanting to get married, and then 1 second later, I'll be fine! It's so weird, and it doesn't make sense! I feel like I'm going crazy and I've never felt this way before! I"ve never struggled with depression or being moody, I'm a happy person. But sense I've been taking these pills- I'm not anymore! Has anyone had this reaction to any type of medicine before?
0 Replies

NikkiB16

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:15 pm
hey I'm a newbie lol. I read pretty much all 25 pages to this because I'm paranoid about taking BC. I'm 18 and recently went away to college. Ever since then my period has been all out of wack and I've been breaking out like crazy as well as going through tons of emotions. I have been wanting to go on BC for a while to regulate my period and was finally able to have my first gyno visit (on Jan 5th) who gave me 3 months worth of samples of EstroStep. I just started taking them today. Honestly, I am extremely worried about gaining weight! I am very very tiny...like I lie and say I'm 5 feet tall tiny and I already weigh about 116...so I'm not stick thin and any weight gain i experience...you can pretty much tell. I've heard that the main reason women gain weight while on the pill is because of increased appetite....does anyone have any tips on how to curb this or what foods to stay away from? I recently started working out again and I'm wondering if that will effect my reaction to this pill. any advice would be much appreciated!!!
0 Replies

MSMenagerie

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 03:01 pm
I have been on Estrostep for 4 months and for the first time, no side effects. Very slight weight gain, but much less than Ortho. I was clinically depressed on Ortho 10 years ago. The patch and estrostep have been fine.
I am currently looking for a generic.
0 Replies

sunkissed

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:50 pm
Hey ladies!
I read through your posts a ways... you all seem pretty knowledgeable... sooo, here's my issue:
Just began taking EstroStep, I've taken a little over a weeks worth of pills. Well, the other day we had a condom break on us before things had gotten very far, and I was mildly concerned since I've not been on the pill for very long. And then today I slept in later than normal and took my pill a couple hours later than usual. Tonight I've had some bleeding. I assume this is because of the time difference? And does that mean I shouldn't have anything to worry about regarding the broken condom? (Trojan! By the way... Don't trust the trojans... that's not the first time either. And I know friends who've had similar problems with them. Blasted things...)

Thanks for any input!
0 Replies

NikkiB16

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:38 pm
well I've been on them for 2 weeks today and the only thing I can really complain about is the breast tenderness and swollenness....my god i dont think they've ever been this sensitive! i dont think I've had any weight gain as of yet. i don't weight myself regularly so i really wouldnt know but I dont feel like I have...i think it's all been in the breasts if i have. i havent had any bleeding yet but i take my pill just about the same time everday maybe a 20 min difference at most.
0 Replies

koiryu

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:09 pm
I've been on estrostep for.. oh.. 4 or 5 months now... It's my first BC bill.. and it's treated me pretty well. I dont' recall any significant nausea, headaches o r anythign liek that... (though.. I started taking the pill after an.. accident ( I.. CAN'T have kids. Please don't hold this agaisnt me, okay?) so I was recovering from that... since this point, I have gotten horribly sick aroudn christmas, which lingered for several weeks, then got strep+respatory BLEHness, which I took antibiotics for and am nearly recovered.. though I think I'm startign to get sick again. Maybe I'm just not suited for the cold weather?

So.. no nasty side effects that couldn't be blamed on other things (like being sick as a dog)... outside of one thing...

The third week irritation. OMG, it's bad. and I think it's gettign worse...
Except it's not just irritation... it's irritation, snappyness, then sudden deep swooping bouts of depression, generally at night when I'm curling up with my BF to sleep... some little though wiggles into my inseure mind and sets it's claws in and it's all I can do to stop from bursting into tears right there. I can recognize,at the tiem, that it's stupid and it's over nothing.. and afterwards it's crystal clear.. but.. . this is driving me batty.I love my boy and I know he loves me. But I have insecurity sisues as it is... and this makes ist so much worse.. because a part of the tiem the initial 'problem' in my head driftes into the background and I jsut orrient on the thought that he's going to get upset at me and leave me because I"m such a simpperingpile of worthlessness.

Yes, I have issues.

I KNOW he loves me. and I KNOW he won't... but.. that fear gets so bad... then if he says the wrong thing.. I'll snap and stalk out of the bedroom.. and I've lashed out at friends... and.. *sigh*

Long short.. this is getting really bad.

as I said, this is my first pill... and I don't know much about thi stuff.. but my PMSy periods were.. NEVER EVER this bad before. Is there anythign I can do that will help with this?

thank you
0 Replies

jml05

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
generic
So I went to the gyno recently and she told me that Loestrin is a generic for of Estrostep, that it has all the same stuff in it, and that the only difference is that instead of doing 20.25.30 doesages, it sticks with a constant 20 dosage. Has anyone tried Loestrin or talked to your doc about generics?
I'm curious about what the side effects will be. I'm guessing some breakthrough bleeding at first since its a low dosage switch but anything else? I'm worried it will make me moody, but I guess low dosage should cut back on that?
0 Replies

Xaela

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
That took a while to read ... I read almost all of the 26 pages ...

I just went in to see my Gyno today because I haven't had my period since the beginning of November. I've skipped before, just not this much. Over the past month and a half, I've taken two different pregnancy tests, two times each ... and they tested me this morning at the clinic and they all came up negative. I talked to the doctor afterwards and they were going to run a few other tests to make sure nothing serious was wrong until she found out/remembered what birth control I was on ... as soon as she knew, she said that's what it was. Apparently she's had quite a few people come in with the same symptoms (and by reading this, I see I'm not the only one as well) and that it's nothing to worry about. She told me that the pills "keep the lining thin" ... I was thinking about switching to Seasonale, but after reading some things here, I might just stay on this one ...

in reguards to ineffectiveness.... I've had no problems ... We rarely use any protection (been living with my boyfriend for almost a year ... seeing him for almost a year and a half) ... I am currently overweight, but I've also recently started going to work out 3-4 times a week and eating a bit healthier, so hopefully I'll drop some inches, if not pounds.
0 Replies

l0serish

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:57 am
im 16 & ive been on Estrostep for almost 2 months [[put on it b/c of irregular periods]] & i noticed a weight gain... but no moodiness, nausea, or any other symptoms. What I was wondering was: have any of you taking it gained any weight?
0 Replies

redhousemom

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:46 am
Weight gain with Estrostep
I have been on Estrostep FE for about 10 months now and have gained 10 pounds! I was put on it after suffering from heavy periods and ovarian cysts. I was also getting cystic acne. The Estrostep has helped get rid of the cystic acne, but I am not happy about my weight gain.

I am 36 years old, about 5'7" and have weighed around 115 since the end of high school, (even after having kids) now I am up at 125 or so. Unfortunately, none of the weight gain is in my breasts, though my breasts were extremely sensitive for months. I have three kids, and don't want any more, so the birth control is a positive for me.

I thought perhaps it was just due to my metabolism changing with age, but I eat really well, and exercise several times a week. I can see my muscle building, but I have an extra layer of fat that I haven't had since giving birth nearly 4 years ago.

I also have been experiencing some hair loss, minor headaches and have been slightly lethargic...not sure if it's pill-related

I am going to contact my midwives about alternatives.
0 Replies

Littlela17

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:05 am
My experience
Hi everyone! I just read all 26 pages on this thread! They have been super helpful. I thought I would share my experience with this BCP in hopes of helping someone else.

I am 25 and have been on estrostep for 2.5 months. I was on another pill for two years but when started losing weight (42 lbs so far!) I started having side effects so my doctor switched me.

So far I cannot say I am crazy about Estrosetp but I plan on giving it another 2 months. The main side effect I have had so far is major breakouts along my chin and jaw bone. I have both white heads and a small occurance of cystic acne. I've never had great skin, but this is the worst it has been. However, I vaugley recall having this problem with the last pill I was on but thinking it was because it was from my hair. Silly me. Now that I figured out the connection I figure give it some time and it will go away.

The other problem I currently have is breakthrough bleeding. It has gotten less each month but it still occurs. It is pretty annoying as it has killed a few romantic plans, but it's not a huge deal. Again, I'll give it sometime before I switch.

The first month I had painful swelling of the breast, but that went away by the start of my second pack.

The best part about this pill is that my once VERY heavy and long periods (both on and off the pill) are down two 2 light days. That I love.

Currently I am worried about weight gain. Like I mentioned I have lost a good amount of weight in the past year. While I am happy with my progress, I still have about 25 lbs to go. I seem to be stalled. At first I blamed it on the holidays because I wasn't keeping with my normal food intake and workout routine but now that I am back in the swing of things, I still seem to be stalled. It could be a plateau so again, I am giving it time. However, if by the end of the 4 pack I see no improvements with skin, breakthrough bleeding or weight loss, I will be calling my doctor.

Thank you so much for all your help with previous posts. It's good to know I am not alone.
0 Replies

redhousemom

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 11:18 am
I had breakthrough bleeding too initially. It did go away, but make sure you take the pill about the same time each day, that should help.

I switched from taking it in the AM to taking it before bed, I haven't forgotten and it's easier to make it part of my bedtime routine.

A friend said the weight gain could easily be blamed on age/metabolism (for me, being 36) but it seems too coincidental to me.
0 Replies

jml05

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
microgestin 1/20
Has anyone hear of this or tried it? microgestin 1/20?

My doc proscribed it as she said it was pretty must the same as Estrostep (except it like taking the first week of lower hormones all the time), but that it is -a lot- cheaper. But I'm worried about side effects, Estrostep has worked well for me, minus some bloating. And other pills have made me really depressed. I hear that microgestin might initally cause some breakthrough bleeding as my body adjusts to the lower dosage, but has anyone tried this? Know anout it?

thanks!
0 Replies

Doll-Face

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 08:02 pm
Hi all! I actually HAVE read every page of this thread, and am quite pleased with my self, lol.

Anyway, getting to the point. Im 22 and about to get married June 10th. Thus I went to the gyno and got put on some BC because, well frankly I do NOT want children at this present time, lol. (and I'm just now getting on BC because I am actually a virgin, which I'm quite proud of Very Happy)

SO, thought I would record my experiences for anyone who is nervous about the pill, wants to know what it does to other people, etc.

Well I'm on my 6th day and am so far very pleased with it. I started last Sunday and it is now Friday Smile.

No side affects to mention, besides noticing a marked drowsyness/I dont wanna do nothing, in the mid to late afternoon. Which I've read is common. And could also be attributed to things OTHER then the pill. But I dont think so.

So, we will see how things go as the dosages get higher, and I'll keep the board posted for any who are interested. God bless!

~Britnie
0 Replies