Estrostep FE....Know Anything About It?

Aly

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:42 pm
Estrostep
Bella,

I have been on estostep for the past few months. As far as I understand the is actually much less then ortho therefore, i think that you should not gain any weight. I think that is more of a concern when you are on higher estrogen level pills. I have not gained any weight on it at all nor have I had any side effects. I feel pretty good about it since the hormone levels are less...because then I am not pumping my body full of hormones it doesn't need. My situation sounds familiar to yours though, they switch mine because I needed to get my hormones balanced...esp. because I had been on birth control for 6 years now with high hormone levels. I have been pretty pleased with it so far.
-Aly
0 Replies

ams

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:48 am
migraines
i read through most of the 26 pages looking for someone that had similarities to what i had - there sure are A LOT of different side effects. i was on estrostep for about 2 years - don't recall ANY problems. i went off the pill to have a baby. after i had him, i went back on estrostep - started having terrible migraines, at least 3 to 4 times a month. my teeth would bleed every time i brushed my teeth, plus some. i gained a little weight - although i couldn't say for sure if that wasn't just my eating habits. i then went on imitrex too for my headaches. in the mean time, my sister is in school becoming a dental hygienist - so she was doing a little research(because of a comment her dentist made) into the fact that my gums were bleeding and i was having headaches and using bc - and so i then went off estrostep - within two weeks my gums had quit bleeding and i quit having the headaches. i've been off for 2 months and not one headache - so i will no longer take the estrostep and have not started taking anything new yet - just because of the fear that the headaches will start up again - but i do blame the estrostep for my headaches and bleeding gums.
0 Replies

hellohello

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 04:00 pm
Almost 1 week...
I have been on Estrostep since last Sunday, which is just under a week from today. My doctor prescribed it to regulate my periods, which I hadn't gotten for 2 months, and have never been regular.

This is my first time on any kind of birth control so I am a little bit nervous. So far, I haven't experienced any serious side effects. The only noticeable difference is that my breasts are fuller, but no complaints here.

My doctor prescibed a pill to induce my period, which was supposed to take up to 5 days to work. However, I took it last Saturday night, and woke up with my period. Therefore, as the doctor reccommended I began my first Estrostep pill that Sunday, and have been taking it daily ever since.

My only question is, since I started the pill the day I got my period, how long should my cycle last? Right now, it's very light, but I am not sure if it's still my period, or if I am just spotting now. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Please let me know! Thank you :]
0 Replies

hellohello

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:32 am
Re: Almost 1 week...
Update!

No more "spotting"... I believe it was just my period slowing down, and coming to and end.

I have gained about 3 pounds since I started using Estrostep (I'm about a week and a half into it)... although it seems only to be in my breasts. I was a small A cup, now I'm about a B. In fact, I feel like I've lost weight in other places. Although, I am sure that's unlikely.

Other than that, all is well in my Estrostep world. :]

hellohello wrote:
I have been on Estrostep since last Sunday, which is just under a week from today. My doctor prescribed it to regulate my periods, which I hadn't gotten for 2 months, and have never been regular.

This is my first time on any kind of birth control so I am a little bit nervous. So far, I haven't experienced any serious side effects. The only noticeable difference is that my breasts are fuller, but no complaints here.

My doctor prescibed a pill to induce my period, which was supposed to take up to 5 days to work. However, I took it last Saturday night, and woke up with my period. Therefore, as the doctor reccommended I began my first Estrostep pill that Sunday, and have been taking it daily ever since.

My only question is, since I started the pill the day I got my period, how long should my cycle last? Right now, it's very light, but I am not sure if it's still my period, or if I am just spotting now. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Please let me know! Thank you :]
0 Replies

chirper62

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 12:55 pm
Re: Side Effects - Blood Circulation Problems
amcd wrote:
Hi,

I was experiencing circulation issues in my legs, but I'm not totally sure if it's related to Estrostep which I began taking about two months ago (or not). For about two years, I have not done well traveling long distances in a car, but it seemed to worsen considerably at about the same time I began taking the Estrostep. I am going to a vascular doctor next week. It could also be related to a new on and off back problem. You know how that can be. Did your circulation issues seem to clear up?
I had been on Triphasil for years when I began having all sorts of issues. So, my doctor switched me to Estrostep and things have settled out. It takes a month or so to get into the groove. I would like to get off the pille (I'm 44), but I do seem to be better on it than off it. My doctor doesn't think the risk is great. He has encouraged me to stay on it.
0 Replies

Karen42

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:32 pm
Weight Gain... On Estrostep FE
I've been on Estrostep for over a year almost 2 now and I've gained 15 lbs! I was 135 lbs and now I am 150. I am having an impossible time losing weight. I go to the gym 4 times a week and am eating better then I ever have before and haven't dropped any weight.

After reading some of the posts I am starting to think it's the BC. I'm not even 30 yet (1 yr to go.) so I doubt it's the slowing down of my metabolism. Also lately I've started being bloated most of the time. It's a real drag. I think maybe it's time to switch to something else but after reading all the posts I'm now scared to switch and have mood swings and even greater weight gain. lol.

My mood is fine. No headaches and no loss of sex drive. I do shed a lot of hair but nothing to worry about I have tons... lol
0 Replies

ejmom

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:40 pm
Estrostep-FE Side Effects
Hi everyone. I've read the complete forum. I've been using Estrostep-FE for almost 6 months. In the beginning, I was a little sick, but after 3 months that got better. My biggest problem is that my blood pressure is a little elevated. I never had problems with my BP before. Before I had my baby, I was taking Alesse. That was wonderful! My doctor prescribed Estrostep-FE after I had my son. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem with their BP?

Thanks!
0 Replies

cielrose

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 01:10 pm
Ortho-Tri-Cyclen vs. Estrostep
Thank you all for your super informative posts. Very Happy I'm now in the same predicament as you all, but luckily I found this page! I'm getting ready to transition over to Estrostep from Ortho-Try-Cyclen rather reluctantly. (Ortho's cost jumped to $50 a month!!)

When I started taking BC I weighed approx. 123, eight years later I weigh 130 lbs (give or take.) I know it's not dramatic, but it's partially from the pills. I'm hoping Estrostep will help me lose weight. Any comments here?

From what I understand, I think Estro has less estrogen then Ortho. Is this the key (besides eating healthy and working out?)

Please let me know if anyone else has gone through this experience.
0 Replies

J Lynn

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 04:56 pm
Leg cramps...anyone?
I was on Estrostep for 3 months after not being on any BC for over 3 years. After the 3rd month, I was experiencing leg cramps at night, at the slightess stretch, I would get a "charley horse". I then stopped the pills midway through the pack and the next day noticed I had no leg cramps. I thought it may be my lack of support shoes at work since I'm on my feet all day, but I was pretty sure it was the pills.
I've been off for about 2 months and I'm ready to try them again since I just forked out $90 for a three month supply due to my insurance. I'll have to start tonight since my period stared yesterday. I'll call my doctor tomorrow to let him know what happened. Could it be that my body was just not used to the hormones in the pills since I was off of bc for over 3 years? Has anyone else experience this.
Thanks in advance.
0 Replies

melissa27

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 12:22 am
Thank You!!!
I am 27 and just took my first bc pill ever!!! I am very nervous about it and was looking online and found this other site with ratings for ESTROSTEP ( what im taking). The people were going on and on about severe depression, anxiety and rage. I started freaking out regretting taking this horrible drug, but then i found this site which really put me at ease, A lot of those women on that site were only on it a few months. I already have moderate anxiety so thats what freaked me out. I will give it a fair trial and check back when i , if i, panic about side effects. Wish me luck, thanks a bunch. Very informative site Smile
0 Replies

space cadet

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 03:02 pm
adding $.02
I ran out of time reading the entire thread... made it to page 18 but wanted to add my experience.

Been on Estrostep for almost 5 months. Estrostep has been pretty good to me in comparison to some others I've tried. I did gain about 10 lbs, but I can't honestly attribute that to the BC pill... it could just as likely be "new boyfriend weight," combined with new muscle gainage from weightlifting, etc. I am hungrier, though, and have been eating more. After 3 mos, my increased appetite eased up, but my habit of eating more has stayed the same. That's for me to address and not attributable to the Pill.

I did have other side effects. 1. Nausea, and 2. drowsiness. The drowsiness improved greatly in time, and by taking the Pill at night, and was further improved by switching allergy meds (Zyrtec to Allegra). The nausea also improved when I started taking the Pill at night.

Basically, I am loving me some Estrostep right now.
0 Replies

Sandrunia

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:47 pm
ESTROSTEP FE
Hey girls,

Just wanted to share my story about Estrostep Fe. I've been on this particular pill for almost 2 years now. I love it. I haven't had any problems. I always start taking it at 10 pm, the sunday after my period ends. Some symptoms I have experienced are tender and VERY swollen and FULL breasts the week before my period, some ovary pain and slight back pain, nothing severe. Although my periods are still the same length if not longer from when I wasn't on the pill, 5-7 days starting from heavy/moderate flow to very light/none. I guess it depends on the month every month, but one good thing....I have never experienced spotting and I get my period VERY regularly...every 3 weeks on tuesday morning. ( so i always know when it's coming)

When I first started taking the pill I had a lot of mood swings, some depression, loss of sex drive, but over time it got better. I just never thought it might be from the pills. Now I'm back to my old self, sex drive and all- my sex drive might have actually increased? hehe Laughing
If you are worried about weigh gain, then personally i did gain about 5 to 10 lbs. (140-150 lbs.) in the first month or so, it actually fluctuated a lot, but I ended up losing more weight then when I first started taking the pill (130-135 lbs.).

Just remember take the pill religiously, everyday at the same time, and follow the instructions. If you miss a pill just take 2 the next day, don't skip any pills always take them all. Don't ever miss more than 1 pill or you might have to wait an extra month before you can have sex without a condom again. If you've been on the pill a few months and you trust your partner, you can let him cum in you and you'll be fine. (But hey don't quote me on this....ask your gyno if you have questions Smile )

Like I said before, I really enjoy taking Estrostep FE, I've never had any severe side effects and would recommend it to all of my friends.

GOOD LUCK!
0 Replies

melissa27

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2006 09:44 am
day 10
Ok, i took my 10th pill yesterday, and i am so tired i can barely keep my eyes open at work, All i want to do is sleep all the time. The bc is definately working, because im way too exhausted to even think about having sex. Will this pass? Im very tempted to stop early.
0 Replies

space cadet

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:07 pm
Re: day 10
melissa27 wrote:
Ok, i took my 10th pill yesterday, and i am so tired i can barely keep my eyes open at work, All i want to do is sleep all the time. The bc is definately working, because im way too exhausted to even think about having sex. Will this pass? Im very tempted to stop early.

it made me extremely drowsy, too. i started taking it at night and now it's fine. but if you're already taking it at nighttime, then you mite want to consider switching.. they say that most side effects should resolve in three months (which was mostly true for me too), but this drowsiness problem can usually be more easily averted.
0 Replies

space cadet

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2006 12:49 pm
Re: ESTROSTEP FE
Sandrunia wrote:
When I first started taking the pill I had a lot of mood swings, some depression, loss of sex drive, but over time it got better. I just never thought it might be from the pills. Now I'm back to my old self, sex drive and all-

Thanks for the input Sandrunia. I was getting a little concerned over my reduced sex drive lately. I am encouraged that it may come back on its own. when I am not taking pills, i liked to have sex frequently. now i have to struggle to work up desire. i just want to feel like my normal self, yet I don't. i've always been teh one in the relationship that wanted the most sex... if you can believe it... yet this time around, i feel something's missing. Estrostep is the least "disruptive" BC pill i have taken so far, but this particular side effect is absolutely annoying to me!!!
0 Replies

jamiiiiii

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:02 pm
i started taking estrostep over 3 months ago... right away i noticed that i had quite bad mood swings, but since i bought like 3 months worth that i would just keep taking it anyways. after like 2 weeks my face began to break out horribly and i lost some hair too, even though it is supposed to help acne get better and who wants to lose hair??... so after my third month of it, i was recommended to take yasmin, but after my last week of inactive pills of estrostep, i forget to start the yasmin then. the withdrawal symptoms were horrible, i was so depressed i couldnt even get out of bed for work or anything, i was yelling at everybody, all i did was cry over nothing, i ate way more than normal, and the dr said it was ok to start the yasmin even though i forgot the week before, but after a week of yasmin i still feel horrible... could this really be from stopping estrostep? if so then i wish i never started taking it to begin with.
0 Replies

jamiiiiii

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:06 pm
something i realized i forgot to add after i posted that...

it did boost my sex drive A LOT, i was always ready for a roll in the hay, and i didnt gain any weight, in fact i lost 7 pounds, so i cant complain about those two "side effects" but the others were pretty horrible
0 Replies

TurtlePrincess

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 04:10 pm
Hey Girls just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. I used to have really harsh periods with extreme cramps and migraine headaches so my Dr went as far as to start Depo injections. After about three years of Depo I began estrostep (it just felt un-natural not having a period- but nice). I have been on Estorstep Fe for about a year and a half now and for the last 2 months I have not had a period. My periods have been getting increasingly lighter for the last year and a half but to completly stop bothers me. I have taken about 10 pregancy tests and they are all negative. I decided after this last month that I would not start the pills back and just give it a month and see if my period returns which should be about 2 weeks. I really am concerned about what is going on and I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
0 Replies

wishbone

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:19 am
I was on it and went off it it was horrible. Right away i gained 10 pounds, i become hungry all the time, i had HORRIBLE mood swings, i always felt depressed, i lost tons of hair over 2 months. My hair used to be thick now its very thin and slowly growing back. I was always depressed, i cried about nothing, i yelled at people, my relationship with my boyfriend was horrible when that stuff was in my system.
0 Replies

destijlthelife

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:32 pm
estrostep fe
This was my first experience with birth control pills (I'm 20). I was on this stuff for only three months before I gave it up. The first month I was just tired and I cried a few times for no reason, but by the third month, I was crying almost non stop, I had ridiculous anxiety, mood swings, depression, I had no appetite, I hated myself and everything I was so depressed, and of course the last thing on my mind was sex. I was miserable. I cried so much that the week after, coming off this stuff, I came down with bronchitis. I had tenderness in my breasts, my acne went insane, and other physical side effects, but these didn't bother me as much as the depression and the other mental effects. I didn't even feel like myself, like I was lost in my own head. I was not going to try to "get through" the side effects when, in three months, my boyfriend and I only managed to have sex twice that whole span of time (both in the first month) because I felt horrible, I had no self confidence much less a sex drive. We tried once during the second month, but I ended up crying very intensely beforehand and I had no idea why. That upset me the most, was crying for no reason. It just made me more upset...so I cried more...and it was a huge spiral. So what was the point, I thought, of taking this stuff, when we can't even have sex when I'm on it? All I wanted to do was sleep and cry. It's been a year since I came off this stuff and it's been back to condoms for me and my boyfriend, but I'm thinking of asking my doctor about trying birth control pills again. However with my previous experience with Estrostep, I'm really afraid...which is why I haven't gone back yet. I know, having read some of your posts, that maybe I didn't give it enough time. But it was just not worth it; Condoms may be uncomfortable, but it's nothing compared to the side effects that I had to deal with while on this medicine.
0 Replies