Estrostep FE....Know Anything About It?

Lorenali

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
Estro-step FE
HI, I just started taking this - I am 33 years old. 10 years ago was the last time I had taken any BC. I am fearful of getting nausea and weight gain too. Since I had so many terrible reactions back then to BC.
Any advice on what to expect would be great.
Thanks !
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 03:42 pm
I think it depends on you. I know a lot of women who gained weight and were sick the first 3 months but then I didn't gain any weight and never felt nauseated.

How long have you been taking it? Less than a month I assume?
0 Replies

heatherfox

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:56 pm
I'M BLEEDING!!!
I JUST STARTED TAKING IT ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO. I STARTED ON A SUNDAY, WHILE STILL ON MY PERIOD. WELL, I STARTED BLEEDING YESTERDAY AND ALSO HAVE VERY MILD CRAMPS. I KNOW SPOTTING IS A SIDE EFFECT. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BABY CRAMPS? DID THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE? I'M TAKING IT TO TRY AND HELP CLEAR MY FACE UP. I TRIED ORTHO TRICYCLEN AND THAT MADE ME PSYCHO!!! I WANTED TO TRY YASMIN, BUT SHE GAVE ME THIS INSTEAD.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:59 pm
This made my period almost go away. I think I had 1 1/2 days of bleeding.
0 Replies

Vanemarie

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
Re: Estrostep FE....Know Anything About It?
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok, so I went to the doctor about my Jekyll and Hyde syndrome....my doctor switched my birth control pills. Anyone out there take Estrostep FE? I'd really like to know if I am going to get fat or have a bizarre OC reaction. Thanks!

I've used Estrostep for one month now...starting on my second pack. I tried Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo and had severe side-effects--basically I had my period for one full straight month; really bad. With Estrostep, I haven't had any side effects except for this continuous feeling of tiredness...I looked up the side effects today and there it was "Tired feeling that will not go away". So, that's the only thing that has bothered me. It's weird, because I've never been tired all the time and after taking this contraceptive, it's like I am sleepy most of the time. Just so you know. It might not have any effect on you. That's the gamble with all of these products: unless you try them, you won't be able to know if it works for you, sadly. Good luck!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:09 pm
Hmm, I did not read the thread, but here is my 2 cents dahhling bella.

estrostep has the lowest amount of hormones that are efffective in birth control. The only problem with estrostep is that it is ineffective in women who are over weight. Medically over weight is 20 lbs or more. Morbid obesity is 40 lbs or more.. that is the medical defination.
SO! if you are about 20 lbs over weight you will need to be careful. Even when you take it PERFECTLY ( pppfftt there is no person in the WORLD who does this ) it will still be only 90% effective.
It doesnt have any of the other side effects you see advertised. Like the ortho tricyclen says it helps with acne. Well, ALL progesterone clears up acne. But estrostep is such a small amount, it makes no claims to fame . What you see is what you get .
Estrostep is used when other birth control pills have proven to be too much . extreme mood swings, incredibly painful periods , heavier periods etc.. usually point to an excessive amount of hormones.
Estrostep is the last ' step' before having to change your b/c.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 08:37 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Hmm, I did not read the thread, but here is my 2 cents dahhling bella.

estrostep has the lowest amount of hormones that are efffective in birth control. The only problem with estrostep is that it is ineffective in women who are over weight. Medically over weight is 20 lbs or more. Morbid obesity is 40 lbs or more.. that is the medical defination.
SO! if you are about 20 lbs over weight you will need to be careful. Even when you take it PERFECTLY ( pppfftt there is no person in the WORLD who does this ) it will still be only 90% effective.

Estrostep is used when other birth control pills have proven to be too much . extreme mood swings, incredibly painful periods , heavier periods etc.. usually point to an excessive amount of hormones.
Estrostep is the last ' step' before having to change your b/c.

Shocked

No way....I am 5'3" and 118lbs so I think I am ok. I didn't realize that it was the lowest. That sort of freaks me out. ulling out might just be back in the picture! Laughing

But I can see now why she prescribed it. Excessive mood swings, painful periods....hm.... ME!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
Ok,
here are some articles and definations to back up my information.
Birth control is used alot for aging women to help regulate hormones . This subject was covered extensively in nursing school, but I cant find anything from my books on the web.. so i used US news and a dictionary. Laughing

Quote:

Source : http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/briefs/pregnancy_infertility/hb050120c.htm

Planned Parenthoods Fact sheet about weight

Figure out your BMI here

Determine if you are considered obese
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:04 am
I just took the BMI; definitely ok there.

But I am concerned about the effectivness now....if it doesn't work well in overweight women, why should I assume it works well in fit women?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:11 am
A womans hormones are fat soluable.... ( good grief i cant spell )
If there is too MUCH fat, the body cant keep up with normal amount needed to maintain her balance. WHen you are short on hormones ANYWAYS, the B/C pills are worthless.
When you have a good balance of fat on your body , your ovaries can regulate and compenstate naturally. The b/c pills then add just the right amount to keep you from ovulating.
( im trying to explain this very plainly... if I dont make sense let me know I can be more specific.) but forgive me for my spelling.. I have not finished my coffee... Mad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:14 am
shewolfnm wrote:
A womans hormones are fat soluable.... ( good grief i cant spell )
If there is too MUCH fat, the body cant keep up with normal amount needed to maintain her balance. WHen you are short on hormones ANYWAYS, the B/C pills are worthless.
When you have a good balance of fat on your body , your ovaries can regulate and compenstate naturally. The b/c pills then add just the right amount to keep you from ovulating.
( im trying to explain this very plainly... if I dont make sense let me know I can be more specific.) but forgive me for my spelling.. I have not finished my coffee... Mad

Two angry faces already this morning.....finish your coffee and then come back to us. :wink:

So if you are thin, everything should be copasetic?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
Bingo
0 Replies

Vanemarie

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:03 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I just took the BMI; definitely ok there.

But I am concerned about the effectivness now....if it doesn't work well in overweight women, why should I assume it works well in fit women?

Yeah...now that you guys are mentioning this, it worries me too. And, I've grown concerned about this tiredness. My boyfriend says that it could be many things, including the fact that I exercise A LOT--but, even in the most intense periods of exercise in my life, I've never felt tired all the time...This is too draining...I can't concentrate, even after sleeping 9 hours I am still tired as if I had not slept much at all...do side effects like these disappear with time as the body adjusts or do they remain? Is it a lack of hormones that makes me feel tired?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:11 am
No. This will never go away.
Imbalance of a womans hormones create havock on our bodies and we ARE always tired because we are not in balance. It is just one of the little crappy side effects of b/c pills.
One thing I mentioned to Bella in a PM that I should say here in the thread is that my daughter ( now 1yr ) was a pill baby. I bounce in my wieght constantly . And most of it is out of my control ( medical reasons) But, there are Doc's who will tell you that the new pills wont be less effective because of a new ' standard' . Bullsh!t . My baby is a NEW baby on a NEW standard pill. Rolling Eyes
One of the things that helps to combat the tiredness of B/C pills is B-12.
The hormones in our bodies , and in the b/c pills effect Melatonin absorption and Seratonin production.
Seratonin is the hormone that effects mood. Too little depression, Too much bi-polar manic behavior. ( basically you are EXTREMELY happy, then EXTREMELY tired, then EXTREMELY pissed, then EXTREMELY happy again) Those mood swings are incredibally hard to manage and people usually can not live a normal life with that.
Melatonin is the hormone that brings about sleep, keeps us asleep and works to reduce all other hormones that would interrupt our sleep.
When Melatonin isnt able to be regulated and absorbed in normal ways, it stays in larger amounts in our brains through out the day. Signs - tired , weepy, confused, distracted, no energy.
If there isnt enough Seratonin to ' turn off ' Melatonin , Depression, anxiety , anger, loss of interest.
Between the two there has to be a good balance. B-12 is a natrual seratonin booster and it also helps to regulate other hormones in the brain . It diminishes Melatonin when taken in the morning and allows Seratonin to naturally ' combat' Melatonin in a easy way that doesnt JOLT you awake like caffiene.
Taking a small amount of Melatonin at night ( purchased at drug stores ) also helps to combat the tiredness during the day. It naturally enduces sleep and helps to regulate sleep so that you are not left tried 24-7. The quality of sleep you have with a little Melatonin is better as well.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:15 am
Hm.... You are a cornucopia of information!! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:17 am
im no corn-top-yiah-thinnngy pffttt...
im just a wee nurse.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:18 am
shewolfnm wrote:
im no corn-top-yiah-thinnngy pffttt...
im just a wee nurse.

Haven't finished your coffee yet, have you? :wink:
0 Replies

Lorenali

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:43 pm
what about cramps?
ok. It has almost been three weeks on Estrostep FE. I have noted the following side effects: Evil or Very Mad

small cramps
bloated (now gained 4lbs) I am at a normal weight neither under or over - but nervous it will get worse
lethargic
tired
breast tenderness
nausea.

is this too many side effects? Since I have not been on the pill in 10 years - I am not sure what I should be doing - continuing or stopping and starting a new one after only one month. I am very nervous about this....any advice? Thanks Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:42 am
you sound like you have pms. the third week is the pms week. are you saying it has been like this all three weeks?

If you don't like the side effects, i would tell your doctor. There is no reason why you should be unhappy with your pills.

But no, it isn't too many side effects. I think that is pretty normal for most women, when starting the pill for the first time. And since it's been 10 years, it seems like the first time to your body. This should go away in a month or so.

I love this stuff. It's leveled my moods out considerably.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
Bella Dea wrote:

I love this stuff. It's leveled my moods out considerably.

((( sneaks into Bella's office and takes chain gun out of her desk drawer)))))

> quietly sneaks away <
0 Replies