Anyone interested in Chinese?

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:31 pm
Hey Pragmatic not sure if you're out there or not. I was just wondering though what's it like being an Asian-Aussie? Do you take more on the culture of Aussie's or asian? Developed an Aussie-English accent compared to the North American counterpart (if you've heard us speak before).
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 05:37 pm
petros wrote:
Is it the "ma" that creates something akin to "how" in the sentence?
In Hebrew, "ma" is used as such a word in questions:
e.g., "ma shalowm" ("how are you" [lit. "what is (your) Shalowm"?]).
the word "Mannah" is a word derived from a sentence meaning "What is it?"

Oh wow, that is really interesting information, that Ma is not common only in the chinese dialogue. Speaking of this, I am reminded of "ka" or "deska" in the Japanese dialogue which I understand turns a sentence into a question. Is that right?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 05:40 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Hey Pragmatic not sure if you're out there or not.

Here's a hint - check the forum's page and on the bottom there is a list of names of those who are logged on.

AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
I was just wondering though what's it like being an Asian-Aussie? Do you take more on the culture of Aussie's or asian? Developed an Aussie-English accent compared to the North American counterpart (if you've heard us speak before).

I think I am still very much an asian in the mental/emotional sense - very conservative and I seee things differently from my western friends. As for my english, its very much Australian english but tinted with a chinese accent - people over the phone can tell I'm not a native australian. What I would love to develop is an British/European accent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:26 pm
Yes, the use of "desuka" turns the sentence into a question.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yes, the use of "desuka" turns the sentence into a question.

How did one ask for another's name? Na-ma-e-wa? Is that right? I have forgotten all my hirigana.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
It's not necessary to always ask a question with "desuka." Namaewa can be asking or answering a question of one's name. Usually, when asking somebody's name, it'll be preceded with "anata no namaewa nandesuka?" Or when giving one's name voluntarily, one can say, "boku (or watakushi) no namaewa c.i. desu."
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's not necessary to always ask a question with "desuka." Namaewa can be asking or answering a question of one's name. Usually, when asking somebody's name, it'll be preceded with "anata no namaewa nandesuka?" Or when giving one's name voluntarily, one can say, "boku (or watakushi) no namaewa c.i. desu."

sumimasen! (excuse me - is that right? or does it mean sorry?) And i remember boku is used for boys, while watashi is for anyone in general?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:11 pm
Sumimasen is excuse me, but it can also mean sorry. Boku is for boys and watashi can is gender neutral.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:34 am
Sumimasen, gomen = sorry.
Doomo sumimasen = sorry (very formal)
Chotto sumimasen! = Excuse me.

And when you guys write "namaewa" or whatever I think it's two separate words "namae wa" not one whole word. The same for "desuka" is usually written as "desu ka." Or at least the way I learned it let me know if I'm wrong.

Only "ka" is the part where you use for a question and this is in a formal tense.

As for asking another person's name if you were to ask casually I would just say, "Dare?" (Who are you?)

Well "dare" literally means "who?" I just use it in that sense because Japanese has become "second nature" (like English) to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:25 am
AbleIIKnow_wong seems to understand the Japanese language much better than I. I attended Japanese school for three years as a youth, but rarely used the language since then except to talk to my mother - in broken Japanese (mixed with English)m but she passed away over 20 years ago. I haven't used Japanese in such a long time, my abilities have deminished tremendously. I can still watch Japanese movies and understand the general theme of what's going on, but that's about it. I can still read and write a little.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:51 pm
I don't know I just took an Introductory course and I'm a great fan of Anime. I guess that helps a little to keep the Japanese reinforced.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:52 pm
Oh yeah forgot this was the Chinese board I want to keep it Chinese..... hmmmmm.... let's see.... shien shien.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
Is that anything like 'thank you?'
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 03:14 am
Yep, that's exactly what it is in Mandrian. Pretty much that's all I know in Mandrian.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:32 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
shien shien.

shien shien is thank you? Did you mean shie shie? Or maybe in cantonese - dor tse?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:36 pm
I've always heard it as "shie shie."
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 05:42 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've always heard it as "shie shie."

That is the correct pronounciation, I am pretty sure.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:32 am
Oh okay you're probably right then. I don't know Mandrian too well.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:48 am
No big deal. You're originally cantonese arent' you? Have you heard some HK people try to speak mandarin? My gosh, its so funny.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 12:14 am
Yeah one of my Mandrian friends told me and it he said that some of their accents were all right and some of them were pretty funny. I think in some ways Mandrian is a "beautiful" language just the way it sounds... yes I know that sounds "g@y" it's just what I think.
0 Replies