Anybody ever try those audio language courses they sell?

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Tomorrow is my last Italian class for this "semester". I'm thinking of maybe using the money I would have spent on class and instead buying the audio "teach yourself" CDs. I am really conflicted about this though, since I love taking the classes. I am almost through with most of the elementary rules of grammar, so I have learned the basics of most past tenses, present tense, and some colloquial expressions.

Part of my dilemma is that since the class is only once a week, although it's good in terms of learning the rules of grammar and vocabulary, I don't feel like I'm getting to hear or speak it enough this way. Also, if I sign up for the next class, which consists of ten sessions, I will miss the last two classes because I'll be in Italy.

I've been thinking of maybe getting one of the Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur CD courses.

Has anyone used these? Are they worth the money? Are either of them more interactive or more focused on hearing and speaking it than others? Are there others that you have used that you especially enjoyed?

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 18,605 • Replies: 42
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
I took Klingon.

Grat kenqueg blignet frogneq yall.

I just wished you good day in Southern Kningon
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:28 pm
Kicky, my sister and parents all have used the language CDs, they're good practice even if you are taking a course. And, they teach you pronounciation which text books can't really do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:32 pm
Due fache la deminge Brut.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
I taught myself Dutch by shortwave radio about 30 years ago (remember me, I was the little girl with the big briefcase Embarrassed ). There were books, records (records!), and you listened to the class on the radio.

I've got some German for Business tapes that aren't bad.

Can't you get Italian television in New York? I've got 3 or 4 Italian stations on satellite here. I find listening to foreign languages on radio or television works better for me than most text-based programs, as you can get a more natural effect. The Italian version of Candid Camera is killer.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
Thanks for your responses, everyone, especially farmerman--your posts on this thread were so insightful and informative that I am literally on the edge of my seat waiting to see how you can possibly top yourself.

I can get italian TV, ehbeth, but it's a subscription service. I can get on RAI.it online if I want though, which I have found useful. And RAI is on TV for two hours each day on one of the cable access stations for free. I've got that stuff pretty well covered.

I think I'm going to do it for sure. I will miss the social aspect of class, but I think I should give this a try and see how it goes.

So does anyone have any specific recommendations on which of the audio courses I should get?
littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:11 pm
Kicky, check the library for tapes - they can get expensive.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:13 pm
Oh, good idea! Smart thinking. I knew there was some reason I liked you...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
some reason.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:16 pm
The reasons are many!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:17 pm
Good try.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
Oh come on! You're still my everlovin' sweetiepie! Don't you know how much I love you? I would walk over burning coals and broken glass just to massage your feet!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:23 pm
Are there any Italian men's coffee clubs around you, Kicky? There are whacks of them around here - the guys all sit around drinking powerful coffee and yakking. I'm sure they'd love someone new to exchange stories with.

Unless you want to stay home and listen to tapes.

And howsabout the Italian Consulate - there is one in New York, isn't there? I know the one here does things like arrange get-togethers to visit museums and clubs - see/listen to Italian imports, and chat in Italian.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:26 pm
Italian-American clubs! Maybe my great uncle knows of some in NYC. But, maybe not, he's been out of the city for a long time.

Honestly, kicky, I can never tell when you're pulling my leg and when you're pulling someone elses.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:26 pm
Ehbeth, thanks. I will look into that stuff. If I don't take the class I plan on doing more of those social things too. I love you so much I would eat dirty fried worms just to get....aaah, screw it...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
http://www.italconsulnyc.org/Frame_inglese.htm

There's some good-lookin' stuff here, and it's not just the puppy-dog eyed men.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
See, now you love ehBeth too.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:28 pm
That is so not a good idea.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:36 pm
What's not a good idea, ehBeth? The part about the consulate, or the part about the menage a trois between the three of us?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:37 pm
Er....
0 Replies