Anyone interested in Chinese?

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:25 am
Anyone interested in Chinese?I'm from China.I'd like to communicate with you any questions.You can be free to ask me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 27,911 • Replies: 198
No top replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 05:42 am
How does one say "hello" or "goodbye" in Chinese?

Can you show the different syllables here to make it easier for me to understand the pronunciation?
shin

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 12:48 am
hi,
i'm interested in learning the Chinese language, which i believe, is the toughest to learn.
i know the Japanese language, so i can guess the meaning of some chinese characters. but i've heard that there are 6 ways of pronounciation or so.

i suppose 'shie shie' (not sure of the correct spelling )is that how it is tell ' thank you ' in Chinese
Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 11:09 am
Thanks Shin. Shie shie to you. :wink:
0 Replies

Sakura30

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
learn Chinese
i'm interested in Chinese, the culture you guys have is fantastic! how do you say 'hello' 'how are you?' 'thankyou' 'please' and 'bye'

(and how would you pronouce that?)
0 Replies

pumpmeup

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:45 am
to Bibliophile the BibleGuru: hello=ni hao(knee how) goodbye=zai jian(zy jan) thank you=xie xie(**** **** but reduce the "t") please=qin(chin)

well, to learn to speak chinese you have to learn the "chinese- phontic alphabet",which is very funny,cuz every vowel in phonetic alphabet has 4 different tones. write email to me at [email protected] if you want to learn some chinese
0 Replies

Sakura30

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
xie xie
xie xie to you Very Happy and yea, i wish to learn more, so i'll e-mail you today. under the subject chinese.
0 Replies

pumpmeup

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:46 am
in chinese thanks=thank=xie xie.thank you=xie xie ni
0 Replies

Sakura30

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 03:52 pm
xie xie ni
ah! the many different ways to say things Very Happy xie xie ni to you for leting me know the difference!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:40 am
From which dialect are these phonetic renderings?

I've heard some of these phrases in Cantonese and they sound different.
0 Replies

aroman24

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:01 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
How does one say "hello" or "goodbye" in Chinese?

Can you show the different syllables here to make it easier for me to understand the pronunciation?

再見 zai4 jian4 - goodbye (Tradtional Characters)
你好 ni3 hao3 - hello

你好嗎? ma adding " ma " at the end makes it a question,
ie. how are you?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
George wrote:
From which dialect are these phonetic renderings?

I've heard some of these phrases in Cantonese and they sound different.

My wife speaks Mandarin. Mandarin has only 4 tones and Cantonese has 7.

Westerners have difficulty learning the tones used in Chinese language. (However, even English has 2 tones: declarative and interrogative.)
0 Replies

hadaji

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 03:10 am
yes, in different place you can hear different dialect .what you learn is just mandarin.usually a new even chinese himself can not understand others when he goes to a new place. as it is total different between languages.

I am a chinese gril.if you want know about chinese or any thing about China write email to me at [email protected]
0 Replies

pumpmeup

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:45 pm
George,yes you are right, people in different area speak chinese with different accent.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 04:14 am
HI George,
Cantonese is quite different to Mandarin which is the official language of China. They did have a vote many years ago on which dialect would be the offical language, and Canonese narrowly lost to Mandarin, but there are many more.

Even with Mandarin alone there is more than one way to Romanize the language, with Pinying and the Wade Romanization being the most popular. It is also possible to study Chinese using a phonetic system called Bo Po Mo Fo which is quite easy to learn BoPoMoFo
0 Replies

Qanda

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
I learn Chinese as a first language (seeing as I am a Chinese), so yes, I am interested in Chinese too. I've only learnt it using phonetics (Hanyu Pinyin) though.
0 Replies

wangx2

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:13 pm
很高兴认识各位:)
0 Replies

littlefairyfromnam

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:54 pm
I'm learning Chinese right now! I get to go over the summer for an intensive program so I'm pretty excited I understood the last comment! Yay!
0 Replies

wuxuanzheng

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:30 am
George, those chinese pumpmeup wrote is mandarin, the only official language in China. Cantonese is very popular overseas, but actually it is just one of the dialect of Chinese. There are hundreds of dialects in China. Most of them sound different but write the same, the same grammar (but some minority still use their own language with different writing, e.g. Tibet).
0 Replies

BOOH

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 07:06 pm
Actually I think Cantonese is kinda different than Mandarin. If you are a mandarin speaker, you wouldn't understand the Hong Kong newspaper very well...Even though we use the same writting system... the structure of the sentences are kinda different, and we have diferent uses of words, too...
0 Replies