Anyone interested in Chinese?

pragmatic

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:45 pm
Hi a2k_wong: you seem pretty into chinese dialect. Just in regards to your question is there pin yin for Taiwnese, I think the best way to answer this question would be to explain that:

Mandarin has the romaji system and this is the common method but it is expressed in different ways for different dialects and places. For true beijing style mandarin, they use romaji in english characters - therefore, "ren" (person) would be spelt as R-E-N. But in Taiwan, they refer to the romaji system as the "ber per mer pher" alphabet and to writen ren, it would be expressed in three characters of this alphabet which pronunced together would be "ren". So romaji uses english (I think it was dubbed by the English actually) and ber per mer pher is a series of characters which are classified as the chinese alphabet.

Its a bit complicated - best way to learn is really exprience it to know the difference btwn each. I recommend the romaji system as that is the mainland china method but its up to you.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
Oh, all right that's cool Prags thanks. I like your avatar.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:03 pm
If two fingers are put up it usually represents "peace" in North America. However I notice that other asians do it in their own pics too... What does it represent? Does it represent the same thing? Thanks.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:33 am
Actually I found out what it means myself, thanks wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

^^V
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
Anybody know about the Canadian government (Mackay/Harper) saying that China and the Chinese government are spying on Canada to steal it's technology? What do you guys think about this?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 06:06 am
First time I've seen this thread. About a year ago, I was having Yum Cha (dim sum) with a Vietnamese/Australian friend of mine. I didn't know before this day that she actually spoke some Cantonese, but that's what she was speaking to the staff at the restaurant. At one point one of the waitresses said something to us, and to me she sounded angry. I asked my friend about it, and she said no, that's just the tone of the language. It can be a harsh sounding language. She also said that you're more likely to come across Cantonese speakers among the Chinese involved in business.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 07:55 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Anybody know about the Canadian government (Mackay/Harper) saying that China and the Chinese government are spying on Canada to steal it's technology? What do you guys think about this?

Give me a source and I'll have a read of it but I haven't heard anything like that!!
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 10:33 pm
pragmatic wrote:

Give me a source and I'll have a read of it but I haven't heard anything like that!!

It was from MSN/MSN Sympatico link when I went online.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 09:42 pm
Anybody heard of green leafy Chinese vegetable called "teung-choi." (variation spellings "tung", "tong", etc.). I have no clue how to spell it in English and it doesn't sound like English pronounciation either. I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this green leafy vegetable if it has fibre in it? No it's not the same as "bok-choi" cause I know that one doesn't.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2007 09:31 am
I'll be in China From November 8 to November 22. We'll be in Beijing, Xian, Yangtze cruise, Chengdu, and Hong Kong. It would be nice to meet any one living in these places. I am Japanese American, but we have many Chinese Americans in our family - including many European Americans, Polynesian, Hispanic and black.

My wife's niece and her husband just returned from China with a adopted daughter, and now lives in Austin, Texas.

Any takers?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:32 am
Just been the msn with JB, aka Robert Woo, in Nanjing. He's worth meeting, c j, has just been for summer school in Chicago and also met Asherman in Albuquerque; a very bright cookie!!
0 Replies

Tiff Rankin

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:38 am
@fazai shi,
0 Replies

Tiff Rankin

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:39 am
@fazai shi,
0 Replies

ZISHI

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 04:16 am
@shin,
HELLO SHIN do you want to learn chinese? I can be a good study partner, because my chinese is perfect. if you wanna be toughest to learn, email to [email protected]..欢迎来信。
0 Replies

ZISHI

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 04:19 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
你好 ni hao (HELLO)
再见 zai jian (goodbye)

0 Replies

Jade Huang

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:52 am
@shin,
add my ICQ acount 639693921 named Jade Smile I am a Chinese,I'd like to teach you Chinese if you do like languages ))
0 Replies

sumonht1990

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 03:44 am
@fazai shi,
Hi,
I am interested in learning the Chinese language, I learn Chinese as a first language (seeing as I am a Chinese), so yes, I am interested in Chinese too. Can you give some different ways here to make the Chinese language easier for me to understand the pronunciation?

0 Replies

space007

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2012 04:03 am
@fazai shi,
It is difficult but interesting.
0 Replies

robertgreate

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 11:25 am
@fazai shi,
I'm Chinese like you.
0 Replies