Anyone interested in Chinese?

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:46 pm
pragmatic wrote:
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
I'm a CBC so it has it's disadvantages since I'm not fluent in Cantonese.

What does CBC mean?

Oh, CBC means Canadian Born Chinese.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:49 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Oh, CBC means Canadian Born Chinese.

Oh - so you were born in Canada to chinese parents? I was born in HK but raised mainly in australia. That's a big reason why my chinese is so bad.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:52 pm
pragmatic wrote:

Oh - so you were born in Canada to chinese parents? I was born in HK but raised mainly in australia. That's a big reason why my chinese is so bad.

Yep that's the main reason my Cantonese is bad and I can't understand a word my parents says to me in Chinese... most of the time.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:55 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Yep that's the main reason my Cantonese is bad and I can't understand a word my parents says to me in Chinese... most of the time.

Ahh - so do you speak in english to them? For me I speak in as much chinese as possible to practice but many of my friends say I have a strong english accent to it, which I am trying to dispense of.
0 Replies

seagull

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:37 am
SmileSmile It seems that we are all unhappy, because you can't speak chinese well and I can't speak English well.

hello, Pragmatic, AbleIIKnow_wong ,,, Chinese is charming, interesting, etc, although learning is boring. but it can be better since we are here, we can teach each other.
0 Replies

seagull

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:47 am
as you said, there are different dialects in different provinces, one can't underestand another when he comes to another new place(province or city);

but it's not very hard to know each other in north China, the idioms is similar; At South China, dialects are quite different.

thank you all! 谢谢各位(xie xie ge wei)
0 Replies

Yuppie

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:02 am
wong
there're many friends who are good at chinese here.they will be glad to help you
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:24 pm
Oh okay that's cool thanks Yuppie.

Is there a specific style of romanization for Cantonese?

Hmmmm... if not then I'll have to make up my own even though it might sound brutal. As long as the idea gets across that should be good enough.
0 Replies

seagull

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:36 pm
Yuppie, your name is the same with one of my net friend. he is in Canada.
0 Replies

Yuppie

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 08:51 pm
???????!!!!!!!!!
gagaga
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:14 am
Pragmatic you're a girl!?

Sorry about that I'm so stupid all this time I thought you were a guy.

What's the tallest guy you've seen in Hong Kong?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:13 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Pragmatic you're a girl!? Sorry about that I'm so stupid all this time I thought you were a guy.

Laughing Laughing

That's ok. I didn't expect anyone to guess that a person with the username "pragmatic" would think they were a girl. How did you find out anyway?

AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
What's the tallest guy you've seen in Hong Kong?

I have no idea...but what I can say is compared to western guys, HK guys are comparatively shorter. As for the tallest chinese guy, that would be the Chinese-American basketball player - not quite sure what his name is...Yao Ming?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:19 pm
pragmatic wrote:

Laughing Laughing

That's ok. I didn't expect anyone to guess that a person with the username "pragmatic" would think they were a girl. How did you find out anyway?

Oh, I saw you (your name) in another forum and somebody mentioned that you're a girl.

pragmatic wrote:

I have no idea...but what I can say is compared to western guys, HK guys are comparatively shorter. As for the tallest chinese guy, that would be the Chinese-American basketball player - not quite sure what his name is...Yao Ming?

Oh how about the general height? Have you seen guys who are 6'0" (180cm) there? Are they rare?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:52 pm
AbleIIKnow_wong wrote:
Oh how about the general height? Have you seen guys who are 6'0" (180cm) there? Are they rare?

I have seen one who is about 180 cm (somewhere around that). Otherwise, most of them are around 170 so yeah, the asian guys I have seen in Australia are only medium and short, compared to their western counterparts.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:04 pm
Oh okay that's cool then.

When you say Western I'm assuming you're talking about the Americans because they have a lot of people there and as you know as a National they're a power house and I'll leave it at that.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm
Well, I mean Australian counterparts actually. :wink: No big deal.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:29 pm
Australians?

Really?

I didn't know they have tall asians there.

So you guys use cm's also, hmph interesting.

How tall are the western ones? 180cm-186cm?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:31 pm
about. I don't know, I never really cared - its not like their height affected me in any way. Why - are you worried you're too short?
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 12:05 am
Nah, to be honest it's the only thing that I have going for me.

I feel that I'm not tall enough... I'm not short at the same time now a days I'm not as "tall" as I used to be...

Hey so you found the other forum that I was in...

Yep that's how I found out you were... well you know.
0 Replies

petros

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
aroman24 wrote:

你好嗎? ma adding " ma " at the end makes it a question,
ie. how are you?

Is it the "ma" that creates something akin to "how" in the sentence?
In Hebrew, "ma" is used as such a word in questions:
e.g., "ma shalowm" ("how are you" [lit. "what is (your) Shalowm"?]).
the word "Mannah" is a word derived from a sentence meaning "What is it?"
0 Replies