Why does the Bible Exist?

jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 01:36 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
see a couple posts prior.

Don't allude! Make your reply.

I'll reiterate. Man is not "God." trying to justify murder because it appears "God" murdered can't be done if you hold the commandment intact.
Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 01:40 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
So you do believe the bible is a bad thing for humankind?

No. The bad thing is the mentality that blindly accepts genocide and rape as an okay thing simply because the god of their holy book ordered it.
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 01:42 pm
@Glennn,
jerlands wrote:

Glennn wrote:

Quote:
see a couple posts prior.

Don't allude! Make your reply.

I'll reiterate. Man is not "God." trying to justify murder because it appears "God" murdered can't be done if you hold the commandments intact.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 01:43 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
trying to justify murder because it appears "God" murdered can't be done

And yet here we are discussing a man who murdered and raped as per the alleged order from his god.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:11 pm
@jerlands,
Because some people wrote it and some more "sew" it in one big book.
Same reason every other book comes to be.
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Because some people wrote it and some more "sew" it in one big book.
Same reason every other book comes to be.

Ya think?
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 05:08 pm
@maxdancona,

0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 07:08 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
This work has got to be the most influential in all western civilization.

Somewhat risibly in a magical sense, this is almost certainly true if you are talking about the Gutenberg Bible, although it wasn't the message that was important it was the messenger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

" The Gutenberg Bible ... was the first major book printed using mass-produced movable metal type in Europe."
jerlands

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 07:25 pm
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

Quote:
This work has got to be the most influential in all western civilization.

Somewhat risibly in a magical sense, this is almost certainly true if you are talking about the Gutenberg Bible, although it wasn't the message that was important it was the messenger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

" The Gutenberg Bible ... was the first major book printed using mass-produced movable metal type in Europe."

You have to look further.
Much is left out but it gives the idea.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 09:29 pm
@maxdancona,
You said: ‘It is pretty clear why the Bible was written.’

Yet you have demonstrated clearly that you have misinterpreted Romans 13, exodus 21:7, (and other passages regarding ‘slavery’), numbers 31, and even demonstrated you did not understand why God gave the law for a man to marry a woman he slept with.(you had it backwards)

You revealed you did not understand why Old Testament law was and is no longer applicable to mankind, ie. sacrificing lambs (a major puzzle piece you did not possess) by claiming ppl in America tried justifying slavery ‘cause the bible says so.’

Therefore I conclude you really don’t understand why it was recorded and written. You did not, and do not ‘see’ the truth because of missing such ‘puzzle pieces.’

Just as Jehovah’s Witness clearly misinterpret many passages, for whatever reason(mainly due to the condition of the heart, not willing to acknowledge truth)

I conclude so far you are not ‘of God’ possessing and proclaiming the truth.
Remember, the test of a prophet in Deuteronomy 18:22? You failed that test.

I now understand why you have written your own version of God’s word, like any other false religious person/teacher.

Jeremiah wrote: Those who seek the truth will find it when sought with all their heart.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 09:45 pm

Quote:
Jesus Christ was a man that traveled through the land
Hard working man and brave
He said to the rich, "Give your goods to the poor"
So they laid Jesus Christ in His grave
Yes, Jesus was a man, a carpenter by hand
His followers true and brave
One dirty coward called Judas Iscariot
Laid poor Jesus in His grave
He went to the preacher, He went to the sheriff
Told them all the same
"Sell all of your jewelry and give it to the poor"
So they laid Jesus Christ in His grave
When Jesus come to town, all the working folks around
Believed what he did say
The bankers and the preachers, they nailed Him on the cross
And they laid Jesus Christ in his grave
And the working people followed him around
Singing and shouting gay
But the cops and soldiers nailed him in the air
And they laid Jesus Christ in his grave
Well the people held their breath when they heard about his death
Everybody wondered why
It was the landlord and the soldiers that they hired
To nail Jesus Christ in the sky
This song was made in New York City
Of rich man and preachers, and slaves
If Jesus was to preach like He preached in Galillee
They would lay Jesus Christ in His grave

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 09:46 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
You really hate Jevovah's Witnesses don't you?

We all get that.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 12:24 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
Yet you have demonstrated clearly that you have misinterpreted Romans 13, exodus 21:7, (and other passages regarding ‘slavery’), numbers 31, and even demonstrated you did not understand why God gave the law for a man to marry a woman he slept with.(you had it backwards)

How has Max misinterpreted what is written concerning the marriage between the rapist and the raped? And how did he misinterpret the 31st chapter of the book of Numbers?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 12:41 pm
@Glennn,
You don't understand Glennn

HelloandGoodye, as a good White American Christian, has the correct interpretation. Anyone who disagrees is, by very definition, "misinterpreting".

That's how it works. God apparently gives some people the authority to declare what the Bible really means rather than just letting the words of the Bible speak for themselves. Who are we to argue?

I don't interpret anything in the bible. The words say what they say. Silly me.

jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 12:45 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't interpret anything in the bible. The words say what they say. Silly me.

Yes, silly you.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
@jerlands,
That's an interesting challenge for you Jerlands.

If you simply believed what the Bible actually said... rather than following a modern explanation of what the Bible says from modern preachers and websites... what would your life be like?

Once you start explaining away words in the Bible, you are no longer following the Bible. You are following someones explanation of the Bible (which is not the same thing at all). You responded to my post where I quoted an actual passage of the Bible with a website (written by a modern person) explaining the passage. When you favor an explanation over the actual words, it is an example of the problem.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 12:57 pm
@maxdancona,
This is the most damning passage in the Bible for modern American Christians... if you believe the Bible it should scare you to death. I will post it here, in it's full context, with no further explanation needed.

Jesus in Matthew 25 wrote:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 01:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If you simply believed what the Bible actually said... rather than following a modern explanation of what the Bible says from modern preachers and websites... what would your life be like?

You're suggesting modern preachers, teachers and others have some deep insight or that our modern view of anything is complete. This is wrong. Many will hear but few will listen.

Once you start explaining away words in the Bible, you are no longer following the Bible. You are following someones explanation of the Bible (which is not the same thing at all). You responded to my post where I quoted an actual passage of the Bible with a website (written by a modern person) explaining the passage. When you favor an explanation over the actual words, it is an example of the problem.

This is all mumbo jumbo... think of the bible as food, food for the mind. The extent one can assimilate food depends on a number of factors including 1.) gut health 2.) immune health 3.) mental health

Edit: Food assimilation begins in the mouth.. you have to chew your food completely.
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 01:31 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

You're suggesting modern preachers, teachers and others have some deep insight or that our modern view of anything is complete. This is wrong. Many will hear but few will listen.

This is all mumbo jumbo... think of the bible as food, food for the mind. The extent one can assimilate food depends on a number of factors including 1.) gut health 2.) immune health 3.) mental health

Edit: Food assimilation begins in the mouth.. you have to chew your food completely.

I forgot an important factor... SOCIAL HEALTH
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 02:24 pm
@jerlands,
Once you start explaining away words in the Bible, you are no longer following the Bible. You are following someone's explanation of the Bible (which is not the same thing at all). You responded to my post where I quoted an actual passage of the Bible with a website (written by a modern person) explaining the passage. When you favor an explanation over the actual words, it is an example of the problem.
Quote:
This is all mumbo jumbo...

The above, which was written by Max, is no more mumbo jumbo than is the 31st chapter of the book of Numbers. They are both easy to understand, unless you have erected a block to what is being clearly said.