Why does the Bible Exist?

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 02:24 pm
This work has got to be the most influential in all western civilization. I'm thinkin' it's either a good thing for human kind or a bad thing for human kind. I don't see any middle ground.

View best answer, chosen by jerlands
ekename

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:43 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:

It is written.

Something, something, something, bread and circuses.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:48 pm
@jerlands,
Why can't there be any middle ground? It seems to me that every culture has sacred texts... from the Popol Vuh to the Bahgdavida.

It's just a collection of religious writings, nothing more.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 06:59 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Why can't there be any middle ground? It seems to me that every culture has sacred texts... from the Popol Vuh to the Bahgdavida.

It's just a collection of religious writings, nothing more.

I'm specifically talking about western civilization. What every other culture may or not have or have done I think irrelevant. My inquiry is directed towards the impact on western civilization.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:14 pm
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

Quote:

It is written.

I'm aware that's the case for some. A beer in one and a handful of potato chips in the other. Maybe a joint.. I don't know.
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:21 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I'm thinkin' it's either a good thing for human kind or a bad thing for human kind. I don't see any middle ground.

I'm thinking that it has fostered the best and the worst of human behavior.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:30 pm
@jerlands,
A large portion of Biblical mythology is cobbled together from pre-existing mythologies hundreds or thousands of years older than the Bible. One might argue that those foundational mythologies are the most influential on western culture.
ekename

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:34 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
ekename wrote:

Quote:

It is written.

I'm aware that's the case for some. A beer in one and a handful of potato chips in the other. Maybe a joint.. I don't know.

Tut , tut ye of much faith.

From the Gospel of Matthew: It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, ...

As palliatives go, biblical belief is up there too I imagine.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:39 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

A large portion of Biblical mythology is cobbled together from pre-existing mythologies hundreds or thousands of years older than the Bible. One might argue that those foundational mythologies are the most influential on western culture.

That's interesting because it's not so much an original work but like a temple torn down and pieces reassembled.
ekename

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:41 pm
@jerlands,
More akin to old wives' tales bound up as a textbook.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:50 pm
@ekename,
You can get the quote button by going into the administration console.

ekename wrote:

Quote:
ekename wrote:

Quote:

It is written.

Tut , tut ye of much faith.

From the Gospel of Matthew: It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, ...

As palliatives go, biblical belief is up there too I imagine.

Some of that is hard to argue with...
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:58 pm
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

I'll try though... if it were just a simple tale (tail) I doubt it would have had such an impact.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 07:58 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I'm specifically talking about western civilization. What every other culture may or not have or have done I think irrelevant. My inquiry is directed towards the impact on western civilization.

The Bible actually hasn't had very much impact on Western Civilization at all. We pretty ignore what it actually says... and we use it as a prop. We believe what we want to believe and then pick out the parts of the Bible that we can twist to support our beliefs while ignoring the other parts. I suspect that the same thing happens in other cultures with other religious texts.

The Bible says that we shouldn't resist evil, shouldn't be involved in politics, and that we should sell our possessions to give to the poor. It also says that we should kill homosexuals and witches and stone girls who are found to not be virgins on their wedding day.

Very few of us really believe in turning the other cheek. America committed a grave sin when it rebelled against the British Monarch... rebellion against a king is specifically forbidden. The one time democracy is mentioned in the Bible, it resulted in God killing thousands of people who were promoting it.

The Bible is a prop, nothing else. The word "Bible" in shiny gold letters is important. What it actually says inside is irrelevant.
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:02 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

ekename wrote:

I'll try though... if it were just a simple tale (tail) I doubt it would have had such an impact.

Really?

The most simple stories and concepts are going to be the ones most people latch onto.

The bible exists because so many people need something to follow, rather than forging their own path.

Even if you leave out the atrocities, killings, rape, dietary, dress restrictions etc. and leave the "good or useful" parts, it's no more than some common sense on how to treat others.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:02 pm
@maxdancona,
I think you've ignored that part of history that includes everything after Constantine.
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:03 pm
@jerlands,
It seems to exist To record and reveal to mankind, the how things were created, the why things were created(or purpose of life,) the how to live(morality), the where to afterlife, the reason for pain/suffering and death.
To record and reveal Gods character, mans sinful nature, the need for a saviour(the ark of salvation)

Take for example how common it is to hear ppl say ‘I am s good person’ when in reality nothing could be further from the truth that in Gods eyes there is no such thing as a good person! (Except Christ) Romans 3:23

Another quick example is how ppl embrace millions and billions of years, and that flesh eating has always existed, whereas it has been recorded and revealed that originally creation was vegetarian,(Genesis chp 1&9) and was created apx 6,000 years ago. (Genesis chp 5&11) Again, nothing could be further from the truth!

How LOST mankind is, and would be forever without God.
‘Thy word is a lamp unto my feet’ wrote the Psalmist.

I agree with the author of the book of Judges:
When God goes, anything goes, anarchy reigns.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:07 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Really?

The most simple stories and concepts are going to be the ones most people latch onto.

The bible exists because so many people need something to follow, rather than forging their own path.

Even if you leave out the atrocities, killings, rape, dietary, dress restrictions etc. and leave the "good or useful" parts, it's no more than some common sense on how to treat others.

No.. there's something else..
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:09 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
I think that's a good answer but I think there's still something else...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:13 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I think you've ignored that part of history that includes everything after Constantine.

Again.... the Bible was just a prop to Constantine. What the Bible says, the words, has nothing to do with the violent conquest or autocratic empire that ensued. It could have just as easily been any other book. What was written inside didn't matter at all.

No one follows what is said in the Bible, the do what they want to and then twist parts of the Bible to support what they want. That is why the Bible was used to justify slavery, and to end it. The Bible is used by the NRA and by people who want to ban guns. The Bible can be used by anyone because no one cares what it really says.

That was true in the time of Constantine, and it is true now.

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Again.... the Bible was just a prop to Constantine. What the Bible says, the words, has nothing to do with the violent conquest or autocratic empire that ensued.

It could have just as easily been any other book. What was written inside didn't matter at all.

The Bible is no prop.. that I'm not going to argue.
Edit.. oops.. actually I think the idea of being a prop may not be that inaccurate.