Why does the Bible Exist?

Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:17 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
. . . in Gods eyes there is no such thing as a good person!

Well then, having the ability to know the beginning to the end, and the end from the beginning, you would think that the god would have aborted the creation plan, knowing that none would qualify as a good person.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:18 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
The Bible is no prop.. that I'm not going to argue.
Edit.. oops.. actually I think the idea of being a prop may not be that inaccurate.

Are you pro-slavery, or anti-slavery? The Bible was used by both sides. The New Testament clearly says that slaves should willingly obey their masters, and the Old Testament supports slavery as well for the people of God.

And do you think the American Revolution should have happened? In the Bible there are direct commands to not rebel against your King.

The fact is that the Bible can be used by anyone to support any political or moral belief... and it has been.

Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:24 pm
@maxdancona,
It does seem to serve as an all-purpose justifier. If you think it's good to love your neighbor, it's in there. If you think it's good to condemn gays, it's in there. If you think witches should be killed, it's in there.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:34 pm
@maxdancona,
jerlands wrote:
The Bible is no prop.. that I'm not going to argue.
Edit.. oops.. actually I think the idea of being a prop may not be that inaccurate.

The bible does support beliefs and behaviors that man used through this wandering.

maxdancona wrote:

Are you pro-slavery, or anti-slavery? The Bible was used by both sides. The New Testament clearly says that slaves should willingly obey their masters, and the Old Testament supports slavery as well for the people of God.

The idea of slavery has been perverted through time. There was a time people were taken to incorporate.

maxdancona wrote:

And do you think the American Revolution should have happened? In the Bible there are direct commands to not rebel against your King.

It's impossible to go back in the past and recreate the entire context. It happened. I'm not saying history is worthless but difficult. Rebellion is built into the bible.

maxdancona wrote:

The fact is that the Bible can be used by anyone to support any political or moral belief... and it has been.

yep.. it definitely influential

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:36 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

It does seem to serve as an all-purpose justifier. If you think it's good to love your neighbor, it's in there. If you think it's good to condemn gays, it's in there. If you think witches should be killed, it's in there.

Can you see the witch?
Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:43 pm
@jerlands,
You're going to have to make a point and finish your thought before I can address it.
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:53 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Really?

The most simple stories and concepts are going to be the ones most people latch onto.

The bible exists because so many people need something to follow, rather than forging their own path.

Even if you leave out the atrocities, killings, rape, dietary, dress restrictions etc. and leave the "good or useful" parts, it's no more than some common sense on how to treat others.

No.. there's something else..

Care to explain that thought?

"something else"?

You can't say no to what another says, and vaguely allude to something you won't define.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 08:58 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

You're going to have to make a point and finish your thought before I can address it.

Exactly.

From the start, his statement that the bible is the "most influential" book in Western society is just another example of wishing on that invisible cosmic birthday cake.

Nice disclaimer....Well, I can't be specific, there's just "something" there.

I've said this before, and I'll state my personal opinion again.

The bible is one of the biggest pieces of crap writing ever produced.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:01 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
The idea of slavery has been perverted through time. There was a time people were taken to incorporate.

Are you implying that there is a version of slavery that is not perverted?

My modern 21st century view is that any form of slavery is evil. This includes the slavery that was permitted, and even encouraged, in the Bible.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Glennn wrote:

Exactly.

From the start, his statement that the bible is the "most influential" book in Western society is just another example of wishing on that invisible cosmic birthday cake.

Nice disclaimer....Well, I can't be specific, there's just "something" there.

I've said this before, and I'll state my personal opinion again.

The bible is one of the biggest pieces of crap writing ever produced.

Before coming to any conclusion I think it best to give it full consideration. What else could it be other than just a piece of crap?
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Are you implying that there is a version of slavery that is not perverted?

My modern 21st century view is that any form of slavery is evil. This includes the slavery that was permitted, and even encouraged, in the Bible.

Yes, I don't think you'd understand that without bias.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:05 pm
@jerlands,
Romans 13 wrote:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

I don't know how the Bible could be any more clear. The American Revolution would never have happened if people followed the Bible.
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:22 pm
@jerlands,
jerlands wrote:

Before coming to any conclusion I think it best to give it full consideration. What else could it be other than just a piece of crap?

I have no idea what you are saying.

No offense meant, but is English your first language? I don't know what I'm dealing with when you say such things as above that really don't mean anything specific.

Are you saying I have to give it full consideration?

I have. That's why I opine it's crap writing.

Note I didn't say it's "just a piece of crap".

It's writing geared toward the lowest common denominator sheep.

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:23 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Romans 13 wrote:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

I don't know how the Bible could be any more clear. The American Revolution would never have happened if people followed the Bible.

Yes, the fathers of the revolution rebelled against their authority. Was this wrong? "To everything there is a season" I can't really say because I know Israel rebelled against Rome so I image there comes a point where man finally says.. this has got to change.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

jerlands wrote:

I have no idea what you are saying.
No offense meant, but is English your first language? I don't know what I'm dealing with when you say such things as above that really don't mean anything specific.

I don't get your point other than crap. What is it? You just want to say the bible is crap?
chai2

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:27 pm
@jerlands,
First off, please answer my question.

Is English your first language?

You don't get my point because you haven't read what I typed.

When you can address what I said rather than what you choose to change it into, then I can respond.

Until then, I'll have to bow out.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't know that democracy is actually a good thing. That is.. I don't know all men should have an equal voice.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 09:47 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

jerlands wrote:

ekename wrote:

More akin to old wives' tales bound up as a textbook.

I'll try though... if it were just a simple tale (tail) I doubt it would have had such an impact.

Really?

The most simple stories and concepts are going to be the ones most people latch onto.

The bible exists because so many people need something to follow, rather than forging their own path.

Even if you leave out the atrocities, killings, rape, dietary, dress restrictions etc. and leave the "good or useful" parts, it's no more than some common sense on how to treat others.

Ok.. this isn't crap then so let's examine it.
chai2 wrote:

Umm, there were people following their own path but eventually were swept up in this wave of Biblical torrent. Examine history.

chai2 wrote:

These ugly things about man existed much prior to the existence of the bible.

I'm questioning "why the bible exists?" I'm looking for an objective discussion.

Glennn

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 10:04 pm
@jerlands,
It exists because some decided to put it together. In essence, it shows that humans were prone to speak for their chosen deity, and would actually justify the murder of other human beings by claiming that their deity of choice endorses such things. Perhaps the lesson to be learned from the Bible is that people tend to attribute their own prejudices (fears) to their chosen deity, and will act atrociously in that deity's name.
jerlands

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 10:37 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

It exists because some decided to put it together. In essence, it shows that humans were prone to speak for their chosen deity, and would actually justify the murder of other human beings by claiming that their deity of choice endorses such things. Perhaps the lesson to be learned from the Bible is that people tend to attribute their own prejudices (fears) to their chosen deity, and will act atrociously in that deity's name.

Here's my condensed version of history.. I see everything as evolutionary in that we experience life, death, decay and resurrection. Life on earth just seems to works like that.. the phoenix arising from its ashes. order, death, decay, reorder.
Anyway.. out of egypt.. we hear the words go forth and populate the earth and the law was condensed and made transportable. at the time of Christ the law was further condensed to two sentences (Matthew 22:36-40 and Mark 12:28) and man could go forth with only the law in his heart and here we are today. I think the discussion might venture out into the importance of the law and then it's interpretation.