Why does the Bible Exist?

jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 04:36 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Once you start explaining away words in the Bible, you are no longer following the Bible. You are following someone's explanation of the Bible (which is not the same thing at all). You responded to my post where I quoted an actual passage of the Bible with a website (written by a modern person) explaining the passage. When you favor an explanation over the actual words, it is an example of the problem.
Quote:
This is all mumbo jumbo...

The above, which was written by Max, is no more mumbo jumbo than is the 31st chapter of the book of Numbers. They are both easy to understand, unless you have erected a block to what is being clearly said.

Do you know why sugar isn't good for you and is actually a toxin? Sugar is a refined or "processed" substance that's removed from it's contextual form and reacts in such a way that it ultimately causes ill health and death.
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 04:58 pm
@jerlands,
Funny you should mention that because you have been trying to refine simple and concise statements of fact found within the pages of a book called the Bible into something not at all resembling the original product. And such a thing is not good for you . . . much like a toxin.
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 05:51 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Funny you should mention that because you have been trying to refine simple and concise statements of fact found within the pages of a book called the Bible into something not at all resembling the original product. And such a thing is not good for you . . . much like a toxin.

Could you refresh my memory because I don't know what you're referring to?
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 06:26 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
The Midianites have a history I don't fully understand because of names and associations with Abraham. I really think this question is left to scholars who have greater insight than I. Sorta sounds like neanderthal to me though.

Sure.

Max supplied the text that describes the genocide and rape visited upon the Midianites at the hands of Moses and his horde at behest of the voice inside his head. But you've deemed the meaning of the words that clearly describe what took place as something that only scholars can interpret. So, you are basically attempting to refine simple and concise statements of fact found within the pages of a book called the Bible into something not at all resembling the original product.
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 06:35 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
The Midianites have a history I don't fully understand because of names and associations with Abraham. I really think this question is left to scholars who have greater insight than I. Sorta sounds like neanderthal to me though.

Max supplied the text that describes the genocide and rape visited upon the Midianites at the hands of Moses and his horde at behest of the voice inside his head. But you've deemed the meaning of the words that clearly describe what took place as something that only scholars can interpret. So, you are basically attempting to refine simple and concise statements of fact found within the pages of a book called the Bible into something not at all resembling the original product.

Numbers 31 comes from a what's called The Book of the Wars of the Lord. What exactly all this is about is questionable. I don't have full insight because I don't read Hebraic Script so I could at best guess.

For all I know the "Book of the Wars of the Lord" may be tales of evolution. I don't know.
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 06:38 pm
@jerlands,
So is the text correct when it says that Moses was obeying the command of the god?
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:00 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

So is the text correct when it says that Moses was obeying the command of the god?

The name of Moses itself needs to be understood. When we think of "God" commanding man it's difficult to conceive. There is allegory and symbol involved in the writings so it requires scrutiny I'm unable to give it.
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:07 pm
@jerlands,
I'll take that as a no, then. That it was not the voice of a god that told Moses to commit genocide against a population because some Israeli men couldn't resist the influence of their hormones.
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:10 pm
@Glennn,
You said: ‘How has Max misinterpreted what is written concerning the marriage between the rapist and the raped? And how did he misinterpret the 31st chapter of the book of Numbers?’

Max is applying a 21st century mindset to an ancient way of life.
There was no such thing as social assistance, Ei, disability etc.
Exodus 21:7 was a law to punish the rapist by having him pay/support the woman the rest of his life,(if she was not married) as well as protect/support the woman Smile an excellent law. (If she was married the rapist was to face death)

As for Numbers 31:
https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/jamieson-fausset-brown/numbers/numbers-31.html

The Corrupt and morally bankrupt Midianites were principal instigators of the infamous scheme of seduction, planned to entrap the Israelites into the double crime of idolatry and licentiousness [ Numbers 25:1-3 Numbers 25:17 Numbers 25:18 ] by which, it was hoped, the Lord would withdraw from that people the benefit of His protection and Favor.(their Devilish motive was to destroy Israel!!!!)

jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:15 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

I'll take that as a no, then. That it was not the voice of a god that told Moses to commit genocide against a population because some Israeli men couldn't resist the influence of their hormones.

Well.. some people can't understand what they read.
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:25 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:

Max is applying a 21st century mindset to an ancient way of life.
There was no such thing as social assistance, Ei, disability etc.
Exodus 21:7 was a law to punish the rapist by having him pay/support the woman the rest of his life,(if she was not married) as well as protect/support the woman an excellent law. (If she was married the rapist was to face death)

No. You need to show me where it says that the woman could go along her merry way and not have to live with her rapist. Was she free to marry the man of her choice after being raped?
Quote:
The Corrupt and morally bankrupt Midianites were principal instigators of the infamous scheme of seduction, planned to entrap the Israelites into the double crime of idolatry and licentiousness

We'll forget for the moment that you are excusing a genocidal leader while condemning those who tried to convert others and have sex with them.

Because of your hypnotically blind obsession with a book, you overlook the Israeli men out looking to score with some Midianite women while applauding the activities of a genocidal maniac who murdered men, women, children, babies, and raped girls because of the actions of those horny Israeli men.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:30 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:

But I'm not one of them. You, however, have already admitted to not being qualified to read about murder and rape and judge it for what it is. You've referred to scholars who you assume can change the meaning of a text. In other words, you've opted to declare your capacity to understand what is written as inadequate.
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:44 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
Remember, the test of a prophet in Deuteronomy 18:22? You failed that test.

You can always tell the good prophets from the bad ones. Just look and see which ones are out to kill the other ones. The one that can't stand competition and conspires to kill it is most likely the bad one.

Deuteronomy 13:

If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

4 Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

So, in essence, the message from this god is: If you love me, you'll kill any prophet that doesn't love me above all else.

This is pure ego and insecurity. That you do not recognize it speaks volumes about your blindness.
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:51 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:

But I'm not one of them. You, however, have already admitted to not being qualified to read about murder and rape and judge it for what it is. You've referred to scholars who you assume can change the meaning of a text. In other words, you've opted to declare your capacity to understand what is written as inadequate.

I tried to explain to you the complexity in interpreting the Bible. You want to center around this passage that has origins apparently lost and want to presume. Here's a whole list of explanations.

As I said.. I'm not defending the Bible.. I'm questioning whether or not it's a good thing for humankind.
Helloandgoodbye

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:54 pm
@Glennn,
Morally bankrupt individuals who practice lawlessness will be purged from a holy nation, and is how a peaceful heavenly society will be purged of such evil ppl (sinners who refuse to repent) and evil angels.
It was not about healthy ‘competition’
Israel was to be holy.
I agree with Deut 13
Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:54 pm
@jerlands,
What if the reason for the existence of the Bible is to test the critical thinking skills of humans--to determine whether a reader will acquiesce to spiritual authority no matter how obscene the orders that procede forth from it, or, to determine whether a reader has the ability to apply critical thinking skills to call a spade a spade and reject the obscene.
jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 07:56 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

What if the reason for the existence of the Bible is to test the critical thinking skills of humans--to determine whether a reader will acquiesce to spiritual authority no matter how obscene the orders that procede forth from it, or, to determine whether a reader has the ability to apply critical thinking skills to call a spade a spade and reject the obscene.

The only orders YOU as a person are given in the bible are the commandments. That's it.. nothin' else.
0 Replies

jerlands

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 08:00 pm
@Glennn,
Man hears what he want to hear and disregards the rest. I think this is true for all of us.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 08:02 pm
@jerlands,
Quote:
I tried to explain to you the complexity in interpreting the Bible.

No. What you tried to do was to convince me that I'm not qualified to understand the written word. But I'm afraid that I had no trouble understanding what I've read, and what it means about the guy who claimed that the god had commanded him to murder innocent people for the crime of trying to convert others.

As I've said before, the Bible is not a problem. The problem belongs to those who support genocide simply because the god of their beliefs has called it a good thing.

0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 08:04 pm
@Helloandgoodbye,
Quote:
I agree with Deut 13

Thanks. I rest my case.