Trump's embassy move to Jerusalem 'self-destructive'

Glennn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Watch out, Finn, there's an anti-semite around every corner.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 04:19 pm
@Glennn,
And anyone who argues Jews deliberately waited 1,000 years to reclaim Israel is a wacky source
Glennn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 04:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I asked oralloy why the Zionists wait over a thousand years before deciding to "reclaim" their property--property on which Palestinians now live?

He answered that there was no deliberate decision to wait. They took the first opportunity they got.

So I said that there was of course a deliberate decision to wait over a thousand years. Otherwise, they wouldn't have waited.

Now what do you care to add to the discussion other than your kneejerk reaction which consists of the old tried and true anti-semite cry?
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 05:03 pm
@Glennn,
you call it the diaspora, My great grandparents called it the GALUT in Yiddishem. The Jews were busy getting out of town for several thousand years since first Temple ws Geschmutz
Glennn

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2017 05:09 pm
@farmerman,
That's good to know . . .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 10:40 am
Quote:
The US says it "will be taking names" during a UN General Assembly vote on a resolution criticising its recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Permanent representative Nikki Haley warned member states that President Donald Trump had asked her to report on "who voted against us" on Thursday.

The draft resolution does not mention the US, but says any decisions on Jerusalem should be cancelled.

On Monday, the US vetoed a similar motion at the UN Security Council.

The status of Jerusalem goes to the heart of Israel's conflict with the Palestinians.

Israel occupied the east of the city, previously occupied by Jordan, in the 1967 Middle East war and regards the entire city as its indivisible capital.

The Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future state and its final status is meant to be discussed in the latter stages of peace talks.

Israeli sovereignty over Jerusalem has never been recognised internationally, and all countries currently maintain their embassies in Tel Aviv. However, President Trump has told the US state department to start work on moving the US embassy.

The 193-member UN General Assembly will hold a rare emergency special session on Thursday at the request of Arab and Muslim states, who condemned Mr Trump's decision to reverse decades of US policy earlier this month.

The Palestinians called for the meeting after the US vetoed the Security Council resolution, which affirmed that any decisions on the status of Jerusalem were "null and void and must be rescinded", and urged all states to "refrain from the establishment of diplomatic missions in the holy city".

The other 14 members of the Security Council voted in favour of the draft, but Ms Haley described it as an "insult" and warned that "it won't be forgotten".

The non-binding resolution put forward by Turkey and Yemen for the General Assembly vote mirrors the vetoed Security Council draft.

The Palestinian permanent observer at the UN, Riyad Mansour, said he hoped there would be "overwhelming support" for the resolution.

But on Tuesday, Ms Haley warned in a letter to dozens of member states that encouraged them to "know that the president and the US take this vote personally".

"The president will be watching this vote carefully and has requested I report back on those countries who voted against us. We will take note of each and every vote on this issue," she wrote, according to journalists who were shown the letter.

"The president's announcement does not affect final status negotiations in any way, including the specific boundaries of Israeli sovereignty in Jerusalem," she added. "The president also made sure to support the status quo of Jerusalem's holy sites."

Ms Haley echoed the warning on Twitter, writing: "The US will be taking names."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42424666
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 01:33 pm
@izzythepush,
For one thing he plans to retaliate by slashing foreign aid.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 04:05 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Glennn wrote:
The fact is that they were conquered over a thousand years ago.

That hardly legitimizes stealing their land.

do you have similar feelings about what happened in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean?

I recognize the fact that land was stolen from indigenous people in some of those places as well.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 04:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
For one thing he plans to retaliate by slashing foreign aid.

Excellent!

Is this merely a suspicion of yours or are there concrete indications that Mr. Trump intends this for real?

I'm reminded of those clauses in the Texas flood relief program that wouldn't give people any aid if they were unfairly biased against Israel.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
intentionally waiting for a thousand years before trying to reclaim their homeland is weird

Boy ain't that the truth. And they just ignore the fact that other people live there now; to say nothing of the fact that they used bribery to influence others to give it to them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 06:26 pm
@Glennn,
Misquoting me and responding as if I said something that I didn't is childish.

Shame on you.
Glennn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 06:33 pm
@oralloy,
Really? Cuz I saw it as a Freudian slip on your part. Aside from that, it is true that they just ignore the fact that other people live there and that they had to use bribery to influence others to give it to them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 06:46 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Really?

Yes.

Glennn wrote:
Cuz I saw it as a Freudian slip on your part.

Nonsense. You had to deliberately cut off the first part of my sentence in order to misconstrue it.

Glennn wrote:
Aside from that, it is true that they just ignore the fact that other people live there

Israel gave the Palestinians plenty of offers for a fair two-state solution.

And since when does being in possession of stolen goods give the possessor any rights to those stolen goods?

Glennn wrote:
and that they had to use bribery to influence others to give it to them.

Why does that matter?
Glennn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:22 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Israel gave the Palestinians plenty of offers for a fair two-state solution.

You have to be extremely biased in order to believe that an invader who continually steals land in contravention of international law has any legitimacy.
Quote:
And since when does being in possession of stolen goods give the possessor any rights to those stolen goods?

How did Palestinans come to be in Palestine?
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:24 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You have to be extremely biased in order to believe that an invader who continually steals land in contravention of international law has any legitimacy.

Israel is not stealing land or contravening international law.

What does legitimacy have to do with the fact that Israel gave the Palestinians plenty of fair offers for a two state solution?

Glennn wrote:
How did Palestinans come to be in Palestine?

They invaded the Roman Empire without justification.
Glennn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:34 pm
@oralloy,
Yes, it is an established fact that the Israeli regime is in violation of International Law. Your bias prevents you from acknowledging that.

I don't know what to say to a person who believes that after over a thousand years, a regime can just claim a piece of land that is inhabited by others. Even more to the point, you believe that zionists' bribery for the purpose of having it given to them is somehow legitamate.

And why did they wait for over a thousand years?
Glennn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:49 pm
@oralloy,
Just curious to hear your response to this question. If I went to town and had sex with a woman, but first told her that I was German when in fact I was American, and she soon learned that I was American, should I go to jail for that?
revelette1

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 07:58 pm
@izzythepush,
It will be interesting to see how it goes. I hope the resolution is signed by everyone but Israel and the US. We need to be taught a lesson diplomatically.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 08:06 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Yes, it is an established fact that the Israeli regime is in violation of International Law.

I say that this is untrue.

Glennn wrote:
Your bias prevents you from acknowledging that.

My confidence that it isn't true prevents me from acknowledging it.

Glennn wrote:
Even more to the point, you believe that zionists' bribery for the purpose of having it given to them is somehow legitamate.

I can't see how the question of legitimacy or illegitimacy even applies to this situation.

Glennn wrote:
And why did they wait for over a thousand years?

As I said, they took the first opportunity that fate presented to them. This was that opportunity.