SHARE YOUR CITY'S PEACE RALLY HERE.

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:51 am
Krugman was not, and is not, the only person in America who believes that the Bush administration is in cahoots with interests out to bilk Americans and pervert the political process. But as a Times columnist, closely read by the political elite and syndicated to papers across the country, he has been able to validate the anger of a whole class of angry, frustrated Democrats who feel that he's the only one prepared to describe the world as it really is. "He goes against the very basic thing that people and journalists want to believe about Bush: 'Say what you want, but the guy's honest,'" says James Carville, the blunt, flamboyant host of CNN's "Crossfire." "Krugman says, no--he's a complete fraud
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:05 am
dys

Max's analyses are withering in their complexity and erudition, are they not?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:09 am
Thanks!!

I'm a big fan of yours, too, blatham.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
Blatham -- You didn't mention Max's little picture. Like so many avatars, it helps us all understand the person who is posting...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 11:14 am
New Analysis Shows Local Phone Competition Endangered by FCC Plan Consumers Urge Federal Regulators Not to Limit or Eliminate UNE-P Requirements WASHINGTON, Jan. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- National consumer groups pointed to the findings of a new report released today as further proof that a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proposal to roll back initiatives that promote local phone competition would have dire consequences for consumers. The proposal, currently in draft form, reportedly has the backing of FCC Chairman Michael Powell.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030127/dcm032_1.html

[Clear Channel Communications -- big part of the problem:]
Feingold blames the FCC for not doing what it can to monitor the company's actions, but he also blames Congress for passing the Telecommunications Act of 1996. "It was a very bad bill that led to this," said Feingold, who was one of five senators who voted against it. "This legislation is not just about entertainment," he said at Thursday's hearing. "More broadly, neither is this issue. I'm here not to preserve radio as entertainment. I'm here because we need to preserve radio as a medium for democracy."not necessarily [!]"a reflection of what the majority of the commission thinks." All five commission members made a rare appearance at the hearing to face questioning about how they intend to alter the communications landscape. The combination of technological changes and company failures, including the collapse of WorldCom, as well as judicial rejection of some commission rules have added to the importance of coming federal rule changes. It was clear that any changes will be hotly disputed. Senator Ernest F. Hollings, the South Carolina Democrat who is chairman of the panel until the Republican changeover is completed, criticized the F.C.C. for "considering radically revising the rules of the game." Senator John McCain, Republican of Arizona, who is to take over as committee chairman, said the agency would make "monumental decisions" this year that "will shape the future of communications forever." A crucial area being reviewed is the federal limit on concentrated ownership of television stations and newspapers. "If you get it wrong, we will have much less competition and much more concentration," warned Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Democrat of North Dakota. "And the American consumer will suffer grievous injury."http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/15/technology/15PHON.html?ei=5062&en=779673dacbba74db&ex=1043470800&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=top

[audio:] Commentator Marvin Kalb says a federal plan to let major media own more stations and newspapers in the same market will limit political debate in the United States and should draw outcry from citizens.
http://discover.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.jhtml?prgId=3&prgDate=current
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:15 pm
Tartarin: Thanks! Yeah, he is a cutie, isn't he?

Adam Smith's concept of the "Invisible Hand" should assuage your concerns regarding the political/social implications of a conservative leaning radio.

As well as this: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,78848,00.html
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 12:47 pm
nimh wrote:
trespassers will wrote:
nimh wrote:
maxsdadeo wrote:
Hussein can stop the war from ever happening.

All he has to do is come clean with banned weapons, or prove that they have been destroyed.

And who is to decide on the proof he comes with, and on whether it is enough? If it is breaking the UN resolution you are accusing him off, isn't it up to the UN to judge on to what extent he did so, and what the appropriate reaction is?

nimh - Take a look at how South Africa worked pro-actively to show the world it was dismantling its weapons programs for a cue what Saddam promised to do, should be doing, is required to do to remain in power and alive, and will never ever do.

You're ignoring the question. If it is breaking "the world's rules" (i.e., the UN Resolution) one chooses to define as casus belli, who is to decide on that but "the world"/the UN?

It is not up to you to decide what Iraq "should be doing" or "is required to do" - and it is not up to Mr. Rumsfeld either; if it is "not playing by the world's rules" one accuses Hussein of, as Maxsdadeo does, then what we should be doing is uphold the world's rules, and not go out vigilanting ourselves, too.

nimh - I am ignoring nothing, nor have I made any suggestion that Hussein has to prove anything to me. I offered you an example of what Hussein could do if he wished to show the UN, the US, and the entire world that he wishes peace and is disarming or has disarmed. It has been done before, willingly and well, by South Africa. Their historical example is one that shows perfectly how a nation proactively shows the world it is eschewing weapons of mass destruction. You are free to ignore that example as you wish, but I wonder why you would be so uninterested in it.

The choice here is Hussein's; as it has always been.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 01:17 pm
"All he has to do is come clean with banned weapons, or prove that they have been destroyed." HUH? How is that done?

"The choice here is Hussein's; as it has always been." HUH? Seems to me George W. is saying the choice is his and always should be.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:41 pm
Smile

http://www.bartcop.com/prot-chi-gissy03.jpg
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 02:47 pm
Tartarin wrote:
"All he has to do is come clean with banned weapons, or prove that they have been destroyed." HUH? How is that done?

I offered an answer to this earlier in this discussion, suggesting that people look at what South Africa did to show the UN and the world they were disarming.

Tartarin wrote:
"The choice here is Hussein's; as it has always been." HUH? Seems to me George W. is saying the choice is his and always should be.

Seems to me you have a very narrow view of the issue that is neither supported by--nor interested in--the facts
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:27 pm
tres: Hans Blix announced last friday that experts from south africa were on their way to assist Iraq in the current inspections.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 03:30 pm
dyslexia wrote:
tres: Hans Blix announced last friday that experts from south africa were on their way to assist Iraq in the current inspections.

That would be a very welcome development, if Iraq listens and embraces the suggestions made. (I had not heard this, by the way, so thanks!)

Perhaps this news will serve to quiet those here who suggested my reference to South Africa was somehow not germane to the situation in Iraq. Very Happy
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:25 pm
a nice montage of the people and aims of the protests:

http://www.usgreens.org/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:48 pm
South Africa has named a team of seven scientists to go to Iraq to share expertise on disarmament, in a move Pretoria believes could help avert a US-led war against Baghdad.

Iraq, facing threats of war from Washington if it fails to comply with United Nations (UN) demands to surrender any weapons of mass destruction, had accepted the offer of the team, officials said.

They said the scientists, who led South Africa's own voluntary program to shed all weapons of mass destruction after the end of apartheid in 1994, would fly to Baghdad on Friday, local time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 08:52 pm
Hi wolf

It might be my computer (old!) but couldn't download the link after around 8 minutes.
I hope others can see it, though. Very Happy
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:17 pm
be sure to have macromedia flashplayer 6 installed on your pc.

or buy a faster one Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:28 pm
Think I'd better start saving, wolf! Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
trespassers will wrote:
nimh wrote:
trespassers will wrote:
nimh wrote:
And who is to decide on the proof he comes with, and on whether it is enough? If it is breaking the UN resolution you are accusing him off, isn't it up to the UN to judge on to what extent he did so, and what the appropriate reaction is?

nimh - Take a look at how South Africa worked pro-actively to show the world it was dismantling its weapons programs for a cue what Saddam promised to do, should be doing, is required to do to remain in power and alive, and will never ever do.

You're ignoring the question. If it is breaking "the world's rules" (i.e., the UN Resolution) one chooses to define as casus belli, who is to decide on that but "the world"/the UN?

nimh - I am ignoring nothing, nor have I made any suggestion that Hussein has to prove anything to me. I offered you an example of what Hussein could do if he wished to show the UN, the US, and the entire world that he wishes peace and is disarming or has disarmed.

You are ignoring the question, and so is maxsdadeo. Both of you have kept on insisting that it is Hussein's failure to meet the requirements of "the UN and the entire world" that provides sufficient and legitimate cause for the kind of attack George Bush is preparing. I ask you: if it is "thumbing his nose" to the UN and "the world" you are accusing him of - if it is his failure to meet their rules you are formulating as casus belli - if it is "showing the UN that he is disarming" that you offer as the one condition for an attack to be postponed - then who else but this UN - this "entire world" should the decision be up to? The decision whether it has indeed been enough, that he has been at fault enough to justify starting a war?

At the moment Blix has clearly stated that the co-operation Iraq has started to offer warrants extra time for the UN Inspectors to do their job. In the UN security council, everyone except the US, Spain and Bulgaria agree with him. In the UN as a whole, not to mention public opinion in this "entire world", the majority that thinks there is ground for extended inspections, that thinks the evidence proposed by Powell c.s. on WMD and the Al-Qaeda links are much too unconvincing to justify starting a war, is even bigger.

So - it is one of two. Either what Saddam has done wrong is breaking the UN rules, and then it's up to the UN to decide what the appropriate response is. If the UN should decide there is reason to grant the inspections more time, or that the threat from Iraq is insufficiently acute a priority to warrant a massive war, it is it's right. If it decides the spurious Al-Qaeda links are unconvincing, or at least pale in comparison to the Al-Qaeda links and bases in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi-Arabia; if it decides there is insufficient suspicion that Iraq currently has any WMD, let alone is preparing to use them, and that North Korea should be our prime concern right now, it is its right. And in that case it is not up to one or two individual states to declare it "irrelevant" and venture of on a war of their own, in the name of a world community that does not actually support it.

Or - you'll have to find yourself another argument.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 11:20 am
nimh

That's a very fine bit of writing indeed.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 04:31 pm
Indeed, correct point by nimh. That's what it boils down to: Bush & c° don't care about democracy, whether it be domestic or global. Not caring about democracy has a name: it's called fascism.

So here's the next stage: http://www.notinourname.net/call_for_the_moratorium.html

And no fake terror will change that - on the contrary.
0 Replies