The Statue Wars Begin

hightor

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 03:23 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you can explain which parts are antiquated, and which cannot be remedied through amendment or judicial review.

Perhaps you can perform a simple web search and find out what other people think. Like this guy:
Quote:
Let’s face it: our government doesn’t work. We can’t blame the founders for the bind we are in today. They had no idea what a modern society would look like. They designed a government for a tiny agrarian nation—and they assumed that, as society changed, future generations would change the Constitution to meet new and evolving needs. But future generations didn’t do that. Instead, they put it on a pedestal to be worshiped. What we need now is a healthier, more objective understanding of how the Constitution actually affects our lives. Modern America bears almost no resemblance to the America of 1789, and it is up to us to fashion political institutions that allow for effective government in our own times. The founders cannot save us. We must save ourselves.

HI
He wants a more powerful president. Others, not so much:
Quote:
What has preserved our political stability is not a poetic piece of parchment, but entrenched institutions and habits of thought and, most important, the sense that we are one nation and must work out our differences. No one can predict in detail what our system of government would look like if we freed ourselves from the shackles of constitutional obligation, and I harbor no illusions that any of this will happen soon. But even if we can’t kick our constitutional-law addiction, we can soften the habit.

NYT
Setanta wrote:
Perhaps you could explain how a principle of "originalism" makes the application of the provisions of that amendment unworkable.

From the previous link:
Quote:
The fact that dissenting justices regularly, publicly and vociferously assert that their colleagues have ignored the Constitution — in landmark cases from Miranda v. Arizona to Roe v. Wade to Romer v. Evans to Bush v. Gore — should give us pause. The two main rival interpretive methods, “originalism” (divining the framers’ intent) and “living constitutionalism” (reinterpreting the text in light of modern demands), cannot be reconciled. Some decisions have been grounded in one school of thought, and some in the other. Whichever your philosophy, many of the results — by definition — must be wrong.

As I say, do some of your own research and you can find plenty more dangerous voices, people whose very opinions are a danger to "freedom of speech". Like this guy (obviously a danger to freedom of speech):
Quote:
“I’m not particularly interested in the 18th Century, nor am I particularly interested in the text of the Constitution. I don’t believe that any document drafted in the 18th century can guide our behavior today.”

Funny though — there are lots of countries whose citizens enjoy freedom of speech and many other freedoms comparable to what we have in the USA — and they don't live under our Constitution.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 04:14 am
I wasn't talking to those other people, I was talking to you. I've spent a lifetime reading history, so I don't need to "do [my] own research." I should point out right now that I have almost no regard for journalists, who are the bottom-feeders of the literary world. They do some superficial research, and hey-presto! instant experts. That's not research any way, unless you're researching the opinions of people with little claim to expertise. This is about your opinion and how you justify it--not the opinion of some joker at a newspaper. After all, I objected to what you wrote here.

I asked you what part of the first amendment is antiquated, and cannot be remedied by amendment or judicial review. I asked you how the use of "originalism" makes the application of the principles in that amendment unworkable. Now you're attempting one of the feeblest of on-line tricks, telling me to "do your own research."

But hey, if you can't defend your own position, I can see why you'd want to do a dodge here.
hightor

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 04:55 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
That's not research any way, unless you're researching the opinions of people with little claim to expertise.

Oh.

Like this guy?

Judge Richard Posner wrote:
I’m not particularly interested in the 18th Century, nor am I particularly interested in the text of the Constitution. I don’t believe that any document drafted in the 18th century can guide our behavior today.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:19 am
Posner? Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

Yeah, he's a corker . . . from Wikipedia:

Posner is known for his scholarly range and for writing on topics outside of his primary field, law. In his various writings and books, he has deprecated animal rights, feminism, drug prohibition, gay marriage (though he has reversed positions and now favors gay marriage), Keynesian economics, and academic moral philosophy, among other subjects.

Oh yeah, he has my deep and abiding respect. I see him as the judicial equivalent of a journalist.

Once again, I asked you, not Richard Posner, what it is about the first amendment that you think is antiquated. Good principles are good principles whether they were outlined in the 18th century CE or the 18th century BCE. Have you ever read the constitution? Have you read it recently? Read Article Five sometime. It is the only document on governance that I know of which has self-correcting provisions. (State constitutions hardly count, given that they are modeled on the U. S. constitution.)

You know, if you can't back up your bullshit, you'd do better to just admit it, rather than trotting out that feeble dodge about an 18th century document, which is so commonly heard from people who don't want to deal with specifics.

What part of the first amendment do you feel is antiquated and cannot be remedied by amendment or judicial review? It's not that tough of a question, there aren't that many provisions in the amendment. No establishment of religion, free exercise of religions, freedom of the press, freedom of speech and the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for a redress of grievances. Which one really sticks in your craw there, Slick?
hightor

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 10:29 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You know, if you can't back up your bullshit...

What "bullshit" are you referring to specifically? Where did I make a declaratory statement? I posed some questions and posted a few comments by others on the subject.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 10:55 am
You are the King of Weasels. Our "museum quality" constitution is doing just fine, almost 230 years later. You have stated that the definition of speech has been expanded, but you have been predictably vague about what kind of problem that creates for the first amendment rights. It's all just an internet game to you, apparently. I am disgusted with you and your game-playing. If you can't articulate what is wrong with our museum quality constitution, as you call it, that cannot be dealt with by amendment or judicial review, I'll be happy to think of you as a bullshit artist, and let it go at that.
Foofie

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 12:28 pm
It is possible that the statues served another more oblique purpose. That being that Northern Yankees (redundant?) might be dissuaded from moving there if they had to explain to children how "honored" these Confederates are thought of in that neck-of-the-woods. I have read that the small Jewish population of shop owners in the South had to keep their mouths shut about that "strange institution," regardless of Hebrews themselves had been in bondage in biblical times.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 02:59 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I am disgusted with you and your game-playing.

No one is forcing you to continue this discussion. I think you actually enjoy insulting your mental inferiors so I don't know why you are acting so put out.
Quote:
If you can't articulate what is wrong with our museum quality constitution, as you call it, that cannot be dealt with by amendment or judicial review, I'll be happy to think of you as a bullshit artist, and let it go at that.

Oh. How magnanimous.

What happened to "King of Weasels"? I rather liked that one.

What if there's nothing "wrong" with the 18th Century document, per se except that employing it in a constructive manner seems beyond the grasp of our contemporary political culture? I think everyone could agree on the definition of "speech" 230 years ago— the spoken and printed word. We lack that clarity today, both for technological and political reasons. In theory, amendments and judicial review would be sufficient but the number of 5-4 decisions suggests that interpretation of the document is not as cut-and-dried as the Founders may have expected. These close decisions give people the sense that the document can be read flexibly, depending on the vagaries of public opinion or the power of lobbyists and campaign donors.

Some of the other amendments are similarly affected by cultural change, the 2nd and the 4th come to mind, and the 1st amendment's establishment clause is being weakened by the current alliance between the GOP and politically conservative Christians. Sure, our "museum quality" constitution is doing just fine, but in case you haven't noticed, our political system isn't.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 04:52 pm
Your sneers are silly.

In 1919, the Supremes handed down a ruling in Schenk versus the United States. The Majority opinion was written by Oliver Wendell Holmes. This is from the synopsis:

Quote:
Words which, ordinarily and in many places, would be within the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment may become subject to prohibition when of such a nature and used in such circumstances as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils which Congress has a right to prevent. The character of every act depends upon the circumstances in which it is done.
(emphasis added)

In the opinion of the court, Mr. Justice Holmes offered this trenchant and now famous analogy:

Quote:
The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.

Schenck versus the United States

I'm assuming that you understand the amendment process. (Hell, who knows, maybe you have even read Article Five.) The above is an example, to the point, of how the first amendment can be interpreted by judicial review. Public opinion and the ordinary courage of institutions concerned with the law and its application can have an effect, too. This is the most neutral article I have found on the ACLU's reaction to the rally in Charlottesville, for which they had earlier exerted their efforts for the rally to take place: FREE SPEECH OR HATE SPEECH? CIVIL LIBERTIES BODY ACLU WILL NO LONGER DEFEND GUN-CARRYING PROTEST GROUPS (From Newsweek)

This constitution is not statute law. It is the blueprint for how government will work. It has functioned successfully for over two hundred years, and in many difficult circumstances. To simply sneer about it being an 18th century document, without substantive criticism or comment is either intellectual dishonesty or cowardice. I frankly don't believe you can offer substantive criticism of the constitution. I'm sure you can muster any number of vague remarks and snide insults, though.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 04:56 pm
@Setanta,

Gotta love a group that will only defend certain amendments... **** the second amendment, right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:10 pm
Of course, that's merely your opinion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:00 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

What happened to "King of Weasels"? I rather liked that one.

There's a few, depending on what production you prefer.

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/danmacgregor/images/2/21/00CHIEF.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140826124551

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/d/d5/Char_96834.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/162?cb=20140202060434
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e0/41/d9/e041d98205f131e1ff252b233fe88887--primary-production-fox-need.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Free speech is a keystone of our nation so long as someones free speech does not surpress anothers.

Agreed.

Despite the original intent of some of them, I don't think these statues currently suppress anyone's free speech, but if they are erected or endorsed by the State and positioned on public land, they are not expressions of free speech they are expressions of the government's views. This fact is unchanged by how many people agree with the expression or whether it can be considered benign or malignant. As such they are not deserving of any consideration based on the First Amendment, and raising it either in defense or opposition of them is a red herring.

Someone screaming profanities in someone's face suppresses free speech as does a concerted effort of a group to drown out a speaker with profanity and chanted slogans. Banning free assembly for the purpose of demonstration is suppressing free speech. Violence in response to speech is an effort to suppress free speech.

Quote:
I think that most of these statues will fit in various regional Civil War museums where they can be displayed in context. The context is (in almost ALL cases) that various cities commissioned and installed these statues during the culmination yars of the RECONSTRUCTION and community leaders were the ones who agreed and foisted these commemorations onto the citizenry.Many good arguments exist that state that statues to Confederacy leaders and war heros were commissioned to further cement Jim Crow laws .

The proper space for most of these statues is in a local Civil War history museum . or is the battleground park nearest to the statue (assuming that the nearest battle was the reason that the statue was first commissione). Places like Antietam or Gettysburg are covered with these guys.

Agreed, but I don't think we need to waste a lot of museum space trying to preserve, as historical artifacts, the ones that bear racist inscriptions and were originally erected for the purpose of intimidation and symbolic crowing (no pun intended). They are an ugly part of our history and should not be hidden away, but the majority of them can be melted down for the metal.

You are wrong, BTW, about my not understanding the history of many of these statues. If you were to go back through the "archives" and review my previous comments on this subject you would find that I have, on more than one occasion, acknowledged and condemned the statues bearing racist inscriptions and wholeheartedly agreed they should be removed. It doesn't matter if they are a big or small subset of the larger group, they all should be removed. I'm not going to search for and copy and paste them here, and I don't expect you to either. Nor do I expect you to keep an extensive profile of my views in your mind when you post, but it might be a good idea (especially given our recent truce) to be at least somewhat certain of your claims about what I do or do not think before you make them, and particularly when you use those claims to inform and instruct someone on the subject of Finn.

Quote:
I dont think centers of govt or city offices are the place because it gives a sort of "offiicial sanction" to a memorial that is a reminder of a way of life in which a large part of our citizens were officially celebrated as sub human appliances.

You have, essentially, stated my position on these statutes...even the ones without original sinister intent. If everyone was OK with them, it would be fine, but, obviously, everyone isn't and we're not discussing tearing down a statue of LBJ because a fair number of people think lifting dogs by their ears is cruel. (If they haven't already done so, sooner or later, some folks will get around to calling for the removal of his statues too. It's funny but the reason will more likely be his treatment of his dogs rather than the folly that led to the deaths of close to 50,000 Americans serving in our military or the fact that he was a racist.)

Quote:
I know I would not want to be prt of that community if that was their way to make me feel welcome.

Me neither, but then who would?

[/quote]
Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:23 pm
If we are going to start a war of removing statues - I suggest that we start with this one..

http://www.timothylutts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Bewitched-Statue-Elizabeth-Montgomery.jpg

On all levels this is offensive.
Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 12:46 pm
@Linkat,
Is that in Salem? They certainly have capitalized on the ancient misery of those women. The only thing I saw there that touched me was the small stone plinths just outside the cemetery wall, where someone puts flowers on a regular basis. That statue is goofy, too, because any woman who appeared in public in the 1690s dressed like that probably would have been spontaneously attacked by the mob.

Edit: Oh my Dog--that's not supposed to be Elizabeth Montgomery, is it?
Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:23 pm
@Setanta,
Yes it is in Salem and yes it is Elizabeth Montgomery -

Bad on all levels -
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:31 pm
@Linkat,
Agreed, that's really offensive, it looks like a publicity piece for Bewitched.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 01:53 pm
Bristol, England, the city in which I live, grew very wealthy from the slave trade, and there have been a number of initiatives. One very prominent slave trader was Edward Colston (1636-1721). There are streets named after him, as well as a large concert hall and several schools, and Bristol Cathedral's largest stained-glass window commemorates him. The concert hall is dropping the name Colston Hall. Colston's Girls School has an annual ceremony in which his last will and testament is read to the assembled pupils. This is being changed so that his involvement in the slave trade is explained. The cathedral would like to remove the window, but says would be very expensive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

You make the standard big L "liberal" defense of freedom of speech as seen by the Founding Fathers but I really wonder how relevant this political philosophy from the Age of Enlightenment is today.

Isn't that the little L defense?

Quote:
Our country is completely different from what it was 225 years ago. The electorate is no longer made up exclusively of educated white male property-owners for one thing. The notion of what even constitutes "speech" has been expanded to cover newly-arising conditions. Certainly the volume of information (and misinformation), the size (and demographic makeup) of the intended audience, and the speed at which it can be disseminated, and the effect all these changes have had, could never have been envisioned by the founders or the thinkers who inspired them.

I don't think that as respects the Bill of Rights, the nation has fundamentally changed in the last two-plus centuries. The concept of free speech is not, at all exclusive to the educated, white people, males, or property owners. In fact, it is easily argued that the right of free speech is immensely important to any group that doesn't have unfettered access to institutional, economic or hereditary power.

Even when the notion of free speech was considered in the founding of the nation it wasn't limited to vocalizations. Written expressions were, of course, considered to join the spoken word under the umbrella of free speech. I don't make the claim that the Founders had a device that enabled them to look into the future to see how things might change in 225 years, but they came to the intellectual place they occupied after some 5,000 years of recorded history during which the world changed quite a lot. We sometimes have a difficult time appreciating that at any point in time that time was modern, and that for advancing civilizations, that time was considered the pinnacle of learned thought. I've no doubt whatsoever that the Founders, along with a lot of people during their time, understood that the world would continue to change in the future. Clearly, some people's ability to imagine what that change might look like was more well tuned than others', and the pace of change has progressively and exponentially accelerated since the 18th century, but if Leonardo da Vinci could imagine the contemporaneous creation of flying machines and submarines in the 15th century I don't think it's far fetched to assume people (even those of a lesser genius than da Vinci) in the 1700's were capable of some crystal ball gazing.

The Founders may not have been able to imagine all of the changes that were to come, but they had to know they would come, and so we find that very often they deliberately used words that could become umbrellas in the future. I don't think that the ways that speech has changed since the 18th century: Speed, volume, and audience, fundamentally alter the concept of free speech as an essential right in a Democratic Republic. Sometimes scale can make an incredible difference (as with the bizarre Quantum scaled universe), but not here. If and when we are able to communicate telepathically thanks to brain implants or we occupy a hive mind or a single consciousness, the concept of free speech will have to undergo serious reconsideration (assuming it has any relevancy in a future that far away) but right now the changes are simply scale and means of delivery that don't make speech something vastly different than it was to the Founders or the Americans of that time.

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you here. I'm just curious as to the efficacy of trying to fit our 21st century society into an 18th century grid, especially in light of the "originalism" which seems to be the judicial vogue these days. At what point does our museum-quality Constitution morph into something else, something less organic and more like some artifice imposed on the present by the past?

I didn't think you were.

I don't think we are trying to apply an 18th century template to a 21st century reality. There is room within Originalism to view speech as an umbrella for modes of expression in both the 18th and 21st centuries. Some originalists might go so far as to contend that since the citizens of the 18th century had no understanding of digitized expression it wasn't including in the meaning of speech and therefore it is not protected by the First Amendment, while others (most I believe) would argue that the citizens understood the meaning of speech, in the context of the Bill of Rights, to mean expressions of thought (both spoken and written) and that there is nothing intrinsically different between speech delivered in e-mail or a manifesto written in a pamphlet, or words spoken in a town square vs words spoken on the radio. The messages might get to more people more rapidly than they would have back then, but the vehicles don't fundamentally alter the concept of expressing ideas.

This is quite different, I think, from most of the judicial interpretation based on the concept of a living Constitution which, theoretically, could be used to support a decision that a law making hate speech is Constitutional, i.e., that societal values in 2017 have changed since the 18th century due to intervening national and even global experiences. We now fully recognize the destructive power of hate speech and for the good of the modern society we live in, it should not be protected by the First Amendment.

Of course regardless of the school of interpretation one favors there is a process very clearly laid out to change, amend or modernize the Constitution. It is necessarily a difficult process but it has been used 17 times (not including the 10 amendments of the Bill of Rights) with the most recent ratification of the 27th being in 1992 (Only 202 + years since it was submitted for ratification!). So it's by no mean an impossible task. Unfortunately it is too difficult for some litigants and activist justices who prefer the often much easier task of forming a majority of like minded members of the Court to change the meaning of the Constitution or even locate brand new rights buried deeply within the text.

I don't know how many amendments have been submitted for ratification but I imagine the number includes at least several that were silly or dangerous, but I do find it surprising that even four of the ones ratified were either misguided or not terribly significant: The 18th, 20th, 23rd and the latest, the 27th. Of course the 21st was only necessary because of the idiotic 18th that criminalized the manufacture or sale of liquor.

I don't think you are advocating scrapping the outdated Constitution, but before anyone even contemplates such a thing, we ought to attempt to bring it into the 21st Century via the Amendment process. If the thresholds are not met on any of the submitted Amendments, it's a pretty good indication that they shouldn't be the law of the land.

Constitutional interpretation and reliance on the Amendment process is actually a fairly good litmus test for determine whether one is a conservative or progressive.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:52 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
My point here is that these statues do not have a long history of being the sites of or inspiration for white supremacist activity. This is an attribute that has been thrust upon them only very recently and because of the highly politicized tragedy in Charlottesville. That they honor rebels who fought to preserve the enslavement and brutal treatment of millions of men, woman and children, and rightfully offend a significant segment of our fellow citizens is all the reasons we need to make the case for their removal; there is no need to manufacture one.

I don't believe that this is true Finn.

The argument being made is that These monuments were erected specifically for the purpose of promoting White Supremacy. I think that this is a good argument. It is a fact that these monuments were erected quickly in times when White Supremacy was being threatened (reconstruction, and the civil rights movement) and were funded by groups that opposed civil rights.

To "honor rebels" was not the point. The monuments were erected to send a message that any attempt to get rights for African-Americans (or change the status quo) wasn't going to happen.

I think you and I agree about Free Speech for individuals. Public monuments are a completely separate issue.

While I know and acknowledge that some of these monuments were erected for the purpose you describe and to intimidate African-Americans I honestly don't know how many had such origins. I don't know that it is material to my point. I'm not advocating that any of them be allowed to remain on public ground. I did assert that they have not historically been the sites or inspiration for white supremacist activity (I doubt the majority of people who support these monument, regardless of motivation, are even aware of the history of their building) and if you can show me that's wrong, I will stand corrected. I don't think it's wrong to say these statues, regardless of what additional purpose they were to serve, were intended to honor the rebels who were their subjects.

Unless you believe that public monuments are an expression of free speech then you also agree with me on that score as well.
0 Replies