The Statue Wars Begin

centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:37 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
There is something thrilling about toppling a statue (any statue) and once the idea has got out on the still night air, maybe all statues should wonder how firm their fixings are?

I see the Ozzies are having a go at Captain Cook now, and not before time IMHO.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/26/captain-cook-statue-and-two-others-in-sydneys-hyde-park-attacked-by-vandals

centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:21 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
the belief in a duality of consciousness (something exists after death) and non-duality beliefs (death is the end - no soul, etc.). One from each belief set cannot discuss their beliefs with anyone from the other side.

What TH are you talking about? I often participate in interesting and fruitful discussions of this type.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
ideological lockstep

Wingnut jargon for 'people not agreeing with me'.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 04:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Max trying to reposition his bigotry as something else. Max is on record as saying he fears that some of his college sexual encounters could be reinterpreted as rape.

This is a pretty nasty personal attack, and a lie. If Max is "on record", then show it.

If we are going to make things up, Izzy is on record as having killed his wife.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:24 am
@centrox,
Ironic that Captain Cook ended up cooked, in Hawai...
centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Ironic that Captain Cook ended up cooked, in Hawai...

Nominative determinism?
Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:22 am
@centrox,
Lacan believed that people's life choices were influenced by their name, but I doubt Cook chose his cooking...
centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 07:01 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Lacan believed that people's life choices were influenced by their name, but I doubt Cook chose his cooking...

Would it have helped me as a young man if I had changed my surname to Sex?

centrox

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 02:11 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

I can see how it might have led to some interesting and informative conversations. Apparently there are a lot of people called Wank in the USA, mainly in NY and New England. I don't know what happens when they visit the British English countries.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:18 pm
@centrox,
Quote:

I think changing it to "Rich" would be more effective.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 03:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Max trying to reposition his bigotry as something else. Max is on record as saying he fears that some of his college sexual encounters could be reinterpreted as rape.

This is a pretty nasty personal attack, and a lie. If Max is "on record", then show it.

If we are going to make things up, Izzy is on record as having killed his wife.

Now you've done it.

BTW, Izzy should either produce his evidence or admit he lied, but don't hold your breath.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Dumb ...
The feds just arrested a Houston man who was allegedly trying to plant explosives by a Confederate statue

How long before a truck full of good old boys drives up from the south with their hunting weapons and unloads on that big Martin Luther King statue in DC?

I wonder what would do the most damage to a stone statue, rifles with AP ammo or shotgun slugs. It'd probably depend on whether AP rifle ammo would ricochet or punch straight in. It'd be an interesting case for Mythbusters to explore.

Or maybe we'll just have to wait for those good old boys to drive up to DC with their guns and then read about it in the newspapers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Max has to be the most persistent hater of women at this site.

Oh nonsense. Max doesn't hate women.

Setanta wrote:
As far as Max calling himself a liberal--don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.

Max is very obviously a liberal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Finn, is Setanta joking? This overhyped hysteria over a dozen "defenseless" White women being brutalized over 320 years ago seems like a joke... but he seems so serious.

I believe that Set is serious.

I share his anger over the horrible atrocity committed long ago and the way the town now trivializes it.

Imagine how horrible it would be if Auschwitz set up a Holocaust themed amusement park.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I remember Finn's fake "Heart Surgery" , which he apparently made up as some kind of debating point

Oh good grief. His "I'll be sure to reschedule my heart surgery to accommodate you" comment was sarcasm over the pompousness of the person that he was responding to.
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Generally, allegations such as that there is a clique of liberals here are a product of what is known in statistics as the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. Simply stated, that fallacy provides "evidence" by finding examples which seem to support the thesis, while ignoring any examples which contradict the thesis. You will see this here when people whine about being ganged up on, ignoring that those who criticize them have their own contretemps. One thing they will not do is recognize that the criticism may be valid.

Max is correct when he points out that there is a gang of intolerant liberals on a2k. And there is nothing valid about the way those liberals attack anyone who does not share in their delusional take on reality.

Setanta wrote:
Max hates and constantly attacks women.

Nonsense.

Setanta wrote:
Rather than seriously reflect on the nature of his "contribution" to the site, he has taken the easy path, honored from time immemorial by ranters and screed-writers, of claiming to be persecuted by a clique.

It is fair to characterize a mindless lynch mob as a mindless lynch mob.

Setanta wrote:
Would that it were true, and Max were truly subjected to the the abuse he so richly deserves.

No one deserves to be savaged by a pack of political zealots.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 05:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The argument being made is that These monuments were erected specifically for the purpose of promoting White Supremacy. I think that this is a good argument. It is a fact that these monuments were erected quickly in times when White Supremacy was being threatened (reconstruction, and the civil rights movement) and were funded by groups that opposed civil rights.

To "honor rebels" was not the point. The monuments were erected to send a message that any attempt to get rights for African-Americans (or change the status quo) wasn't going to happen.

This is wrong. These statues were put up when Confederate soldiers started dying of old age. The reason for the statues was because the South wanted to honor their war dead. The reason the statues are opposed is because liberals hate southerners.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:37 pm
@centrox,
Haha... I'm sure a nice pseudonym can change one's life, but it has to be a little more subtle than that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 06:53 pm
@oralloy,
well then, your perspicacity is far advanced of mere mortals. Most reasonable people believed he was actually scheduled for open heart surgery and took the time to merely wish him well and speedy recovery.

Thats the real difference tween you guys and liberals, you guys operate under a world of "alternate facts" and dont see anything wrong in it . (Just like your president).

SAD
Olivier5

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 07:11 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
This is not criticism, it's oceanography!

Which is why it's funny of course: down-to-earth realism crashing into poetry... :-)
0 Replies