Why I left the Democratic Party

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:21 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Hoping for a change in the political climate is not nearly so effective as getting up on your hind legs and making change.

You’re goddamn right!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:22 am
@Lash,
Ok Lash. These 5 Democrats made this statement. 5 our of the 280 or so we need to win majorities in both houses. Couple thoughts.

1) PACs have campaign contribution limits to candidates in the tune of $2,700. So good job not taking that 3k guys.

2) Citizens United allows for unlimited anonymous spending on behalf of candidates. Is that going to change now that you allowed Gorsuch on the Supreme Court?

3) These 5 Democrats are in safe seats. If all candidates vowed to take no PAC money and denounce superPACs, do you think Republicans would control government by 60% or by 75%?

4) I get why you’re trying to claim a win here but I think upon careful review you and all of us can see this as a move just for optics not for real change.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:28 am
@maporsche,
I wouldn’t expect a huge sweeping revolutionary change to happen immediately through regular political channels. It will either be slow, or something outside expectation will speed it.

This is an evolving process. Sit back and watch.

Citizens United is not secure.
maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:31 am
@Lash,
You mean “incremental” changes???

And I’m not opposed to this change or even the optic, toothless nature of this one.

What I’d rather see though is progressives and like-minded independents voting for democrats and then demanding campaign finance reform.

Can’t do anything with teeth until there are majorities AND pressure to change. But majorities come first.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:40 am
@maporsche,
My addendum is: majorities of trustworthy people.

Establishment Democrats are pre-sold and will do as they please once elected.

Hence, the flood.
maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:48 am
@Lash,
And there is the blanket unfounded almost brainless claim that all these democratic candidates with actual voting records on things you claim to support are all crooked because of campaign contributions.

And I literally Lol’d at “the flood”
revelette1

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:53 am
@Lash,
While you are over the moon with the state of things in our country, meanwhile we are losing every bit progressive progress which has been made at such a rapid rate, you should be beyond the stars over it.

Hillary herself was never the issue, I wish you could get that through your head. Once the primary was decided, it came down to Hillary and Trump. Now we are dealing with the aftermath of ya'lls ideals in the way of judges and their decisions, our health care, our economic well being going down hill while the rich fat cats keep getting richer. While democrats might like you guys say make small improvements, the republicans in control now make huge decreases in our well being as a nation. Which is better, small improvements which steadily improve things or drastic actions which only go to the richest among us? That was the choice then, that is the choice now. All this division of the left will only end up giving us more republicans just for the sake of your ideals.

Established democrats in these special elections have been doing fairly well, so I don't think we have brought to heel.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:57 am
@maporsche,
You misread. I think you get a little emotionally unhinged, wanting to have a big satisfying *gotcha moment*.

You show up fortnightly and screech at Edgar, make wild accusations, and try to blame progressives for dead children. Your overwrought state propels you to poor reading comprehension.

Campaign reform is one of *many* changes that progressives are watching as they decide their next votes. By itself, it’s nothing. Just shows where the power is right now in the D party.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:59 am
@revelette1,
Don’t waste space with your political analysis to me. It is meaningless.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:02 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

And I literally Lol’d at “the flood”

As I noted, you’re emotionally unhinged. Laughing now, crying about it only minutes ago... Get some rest.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:07 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
and try to blame progressives for dead children.

No no no Lash. Don't do that.

I'm not blaming progressives. I'm blaming Edgar and other Jill Stein voters, people who did not vote, and Republicans who refuse to consider any common sense measures that enjoy national support. I stated that explicitly.

I'm also blaming people who voted for Bush and who allowed letting the assault weapons ban expire. Do you know any of those people?

Many, in fact most progressives vote for Democrats. They're the smart ones. You others.....well.....
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:25 am
@maporsche,
You are aware that progressives voted for Stein, some sat out in a refusal to support the shitstain you people call a Democrat party when it’s become nothing more than the DINO party.

We needed change. We need a government that is more responsive to the public, instead of less —and the Third Way, Centrist corporate-owned Ds were steam-rolling their way to doing less and for people, as the Rust Belt shouted on election night.

I’m proud that the people of this country repudiated what the D party has become. I can’t believe that the party overlords have remained this stiff-necked in their humiliation for so long. I mean, change or die.

A year later, with elections looming, they are finally making moves toward progressivism, but I’m not sure they’ll be believed. If they want to overturn trumpism, they need to get serious about doing the work of the people.

maporsche

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:33 am
@Lash,
They will continue their work in spite of you, not because of you.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:38 am
@maporsche,
Heh. They are all millionaires whose healthcare we pay for

whose party-approved position on universal healthcare for us was “it’ll never happen.” Spoken by Hillary and Pelosi during Hillary’s campaign.

We WILL have it.

Because of me, and those like me.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:38 am
@Lash,
Quote:
You are aware that progressives voted for Stein, some sat out in a refusal to support the shitstain you people call a Democrat party when it’s become nothing more than the DINO party.

Yes, we know how you feel.

I think the message that some of us have been trying to get across is that by allowing Trump to win, Democrats lost much more than the presidency. The damage caused by Trump's judicial appointments (the GOP blocked Obama's pick for the Supreme Curt and many of his lower court choices) will be felt for decades. And everyone knew that this would happen. Same with the damage to the EPA, to the ACA, to the chance of a negotiated solution in the Mideast, to the national park system, to the NLRB, to net neutrality, and on and on. These things matter much more to me that the personality of the person sitting in the Oval Office. As I said, these were all predictable consequences of a Trump victory and why many of us held our noses and voted the way we did.

I hope you enjoy your military parade.

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 09:42 am
@hightor,
Everything Trump does emphasizes the failure of the DINO party, and the insistence of the public that they will serve the people if they want to be in power.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 10:00 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
They will continue their work in spite of you, not because of you.

Such conceit. Don't you believe in "government of the sheeple, by the ... ?"
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 10:02 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Yes, we know how you feel.

Are you bothered that Lash has the cojones to speak the truth while y'all diddle?

And again I have to mention the stunning dishonesty from you all. Supposedly, a bunch of adults who believe in miracles and total impossibilities.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
Trump is about to talk about the shooting.

The FBI was warned specifically about this shooter. Not the first time they’ve dropped a multi-shooter tip before a shooting. The FBI refuses comment.
Lash

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
Ugh. Same old **** everybody says.
0 Replies