Why I left the Democratic Party

Lash

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 12:35 pm
@hightor,
Should’ve voted for Bernie, rather than a hated candidate who couldn’t beat trump.

Get it right next time.
revelette1

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, well, even older. lol
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 01:53 pm
@Lash,
Perhaps, however once the primaries was over and the logical choice was Trump or Hillary, Bernie supporters should have considered the progressive goals which would be hurt by a Trump win. I only hope they don't make the same mistake in the mid-terms or the next election.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 01:53 pm
As I have said before: slow poison/fast poison: What's the difference in the scheme of things? Corporate shills are not going to halt the oligarchs.
revelette1

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 01:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
What's the difference in the scheme of things

A big difference in the courts on such issues as civil rights cases/voting rights and/or environmental cases.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's an interesting take.

David Frum has compared the effect of Trump on America as gum disease. It's going to kill you one way or another.

The Democrats are at least somewhat interested in America moving forward.

You live in a two-party country.

It's going to be Democrats or Republicans running the country for the foreseeable future. People can work inside the parties to change things. There is evidence in the US and elsewhere that it happens.

http://m.voicesofyouth.org/assets/568ea7b962c6e-full.jpeg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:01 pm
@revelette1,
Based on 75 years of watching things unfold, I would say the Dems would only let it happen slower, but would not stop it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:18 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I just wish we could unite the far left and moderate together by coming to some sort of compromise so as to do well at mid-terms.

If you want my vote you'll need to get the Democrats to stop trying to destroy the Second Amendment.

Although.... if I don't see any movement on the SHARE Act, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, or the Veterans 2nd Amendment Protection Act, the Republicans won't be getting my vote in 2018 either.

I wish the Pirate Party was active in the US. If I have to vote for a third party I'd like it to be them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:19 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
This will probably be the longest-lasting effect of the election, you know, assuming no thermonuclear war gets started.

Unless the thermonuclear war is the fault of North Korea and will be started regardless of who the US president is.

hightor wrote:
Hypocritical evangelicals had no trouble voting for Trump; all they cared about was Roe vs. Wade.

How does that make them hypocritical?

It seems much like me refusing to vote for a party that wants to destroy the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As I have said before: slow poison/fast poison: What's the difference in the scheme of things? Corporate shills are not going to halt the oligarchs.

Oh god. Not your stupid "they're all the same" bullshit.

Please, never complain about something like Sandy Hook ever again. You (and people like you...and Republicans) are the problem.
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:32 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Please, never complain about something like Sandy Hook ever again. You (and people like you...and Republicans) are the problem.

I presume that you are counting Democrats who support our freedom (like me) as also being part of this problem.

Why is it a problem when Americans support freedom and civil rights?
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:48 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Have you got blinders on, maporsche? Every US president since WWII has been a war criminal. That certainly is illustrative that they are all the same. They all lie equally well, they are all rank terrorists.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 02:48 pm
People should take the Gandhi quote to heart while there is time to do anything about it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 04:02 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Wow Edgar. Another school shooting today. 14 victims so far.

Maybe this is an appropriate time to remind us how Democrats and Republicans are all the same and there are no differences to worry about.

Maybe use your die quickly or die slowly analogy. It seems apt here.

Maybe you can offer empty thoughts and prayers, you know, since you withhold your votes.
revelette1

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't claim to have as much experience, I haven't been interested in government/politics as long some of you have.

When I listen or read what democrats and some far left advocate, it is the same things I want and they want to stop or change the same things I want; so I vote democrat.

It would take another case at the supreme court to change citizens united which allows so much money in politics. To get an edge, you have to be the party who can pick and confirm the judges so the laws can be changed. Until then, it would be political suicide to not have some big donors and endorsements.

I know I am not going to convince you and that is ok, I am just hoping we don't a repeat of 2016 where the democrat vote was split or some might not vote out of principle.
camlok

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 04:30 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

Maybe you can offer empty thoughts and prayers, you know, since you withhold your votes.

There's enough empty thoughts and prayers being sent across the USA by all the stunning hypocrites who get their panties in a bunch about 14 victims but care not a whit about the tens of millions of victims from US war crimes, the instigation of said war crimes, always based on lies.

And the really crazy thing is y'all think your vote counts, y'all think you do something by voting. You think some lie Lincoln used years ago to make y'all feel all warm and gushy inside actually meant something. Way way gullible!
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 04:33 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
When I listen or read what democrats and some far left advocate, it is the same things I want and they want to stop or change the same things I want; so I vote democrat.

Seemingly, you want the crimes instigated and carried out by JFK, then Lyndon Johnson, then Jimmy Carter, then Bill Clinton, then Barack Obama. All of them no different than the equally evil Republican war criminals.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 04:39 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Maybe this is an appropriate time to remind us how Democrats and Republicans are all the same and there are no differences to worry about.

Maybe use your die quickly or die slowly analogy. It seems apt here.

What does this school shooting have to do with the issue of progressivism in the Democratic Party (other than the fact that the left wants to use the shooting as an excuse to violate our rights for no reason)?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:19 pm
@revelette1,
The last time the Democrats had the numbers to stand for something, Obama told them he would veto any meaningful legislation.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2018 05:36 pm
Here is a hopeful headline:

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand has announced she will no longer take corporate PAC money.