Why I left the Democratic Party

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Several grassroots and progressive congressional candidates are facing...lawsuits from the Democratic establishment... In hopes of clearing the primary field.

They were petrified of Bernie Sanders and now this.

The Democratic Party is officially on life support and the Republicans are itching to yank the plug out.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:20 pm
Edgar, I was really hoping you'd answer this question I posed to you a few days ago. You may have missed it with all the nonsensical chatter.

------------------------------------

Edgar. I understand that in your perfect world you’d have 100 senators and 438 Representatives exactly like Bernie Sanders. I’m just going to focus on the Senate because the numbers are easier but we can assume the same for the House.

You may even be willing to settle for Super-Majorities of just 60 Bernie’s in the Senate. All these Bernie’s would agree all the time and vote in lockstep.

a) 60 Bernie’s- Edgar’s ideal

Like all ideals, they’re a goal but not really realistic for a number of reasons. I’m going to list some options below and I’m curious If you or anyone would comment on the pros and cons of each.

b) 49 Bernie’s and 51 Mitch’s (republican control, but a wholly 'progressive' minority)
c) 20 Bernie’s, 31 Hillary’s, 49 Mitch’s (democratic control, but with 2/3 of the democrats being establishment types)
d) 10 Bernie’s, 10 Nancy’s, 30 Hillary’s, 40 Mitch’s (democratic super-majority but with a smaller 'progressive' minority, but probably more than we have today)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:24 pm
I don't ask for a perfect world. I don't expect every Democrat to be honorable. But I expect a party I could support to be honorable after the fashion of Roosevelt, not aping the Republican Party or feigning battles for the people, while never actually engaging in real combat.
camlok

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
But I expect a party I could support to be honorable after the fashion of Roosevelt,

You think it honorable for a president to force the Japanese into attacking PH, an event he knew and planned for.
camlok

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:28 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
You may have missed it with all the nonsensical chatter.

Remember how I mentioned intellectual dishonesty.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't ask for a perfect world. I don't expect every Democrat to be honorable. But I expect a party I could support to be honorable after the fashion of Roosevelt, not aping the Republican Party or feigning battles for the people, while never actually engaging in real combat.

I understand.

I'm really curious though....b, c, d? You don't need to comment on your reasoning if you don't want to. I can't make you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
..honorable after the fashion of Roosevelt

You mean like illegally sending tens of thousands of Japanese-American citizens to concentration camps?

You mean like trying to stack the Supreme Court?

You have a unique sense of honor.
camlok

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 02:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You mean like illegally sending tens of thousands of Japanese-American citizens to concentration camps?

You mean like trying to stack the Supreme Court?

You have a unique sense of honor.

You have a not very unique hypocrisy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 03:52 pm
In a year or so whenever I mention this sort of chicanery, the Dino Libs will say, I never heard about that, you fibber (liar), you made it up.

By Michael Sainato

In California, the State Democratic Party has made efforts to protect centrist Democratic incumbents, using questionable technicalities to dismiss primary challengers’ petitions for the party’s endorsement.

The California Democratic Party’s bylaws stipulate that Democratic incumbents automatically receive the party’s endorsement for re-election unless a primary challenger acquires petition signatures from at least 20 percent of eligible participants at a pre-endorsement conference. The endorsement enables incumbents to receive funding and campaign resources for their re-election.

Stephen Jaffe, the primary challenger to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi in California’s 12th Congressional District, acquired the necessary 20 percent threshold of signatures to prevent the California Democratic Party from formally endorsing Pelosi. Jaffe acquired signatures from 37 out of 182 eligible delegates and submitted his petition with the $350 fee before the 5 p.m deadline on Jan. 17. The California Democratic Party rejected the challenge, later claiming there were 190 eligible delegates, and that 38 signatures were needed.

The party never shared the list of eight extra delegates with Jaffe, who appealed the decision which will be ruled on by six members of the California Democratic Party’s Compliance Review Commission, who were all appointed by the party’s chair, Eric Bauman.

“This seems to be a continuing pattern here within the Democratic Party: if they can’t win in fair elections they just do whatever they need to do with unfair tactics,” Jaffe told the Real News Network. “It happened with Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, it happened with Kimberly Ellis and Eric Bauman in the California Democratic Party Chair election, and now it’s happening all over the state in the 2018 midterm elections where progressives are challenging incumbents.”

Last year, Bauman won the party chair election against progressive challenger Kimberly Ellis by 62 votes, in which nearly 3000 ballots were cast by party delegates. Ellis contested the election results due to several alleged voting irregularities, but the California Democratic Party upheld Bauman’s victory.

Another Democratic Party candidate, Maria Estrada, met the petition requirements to challenge the party’s endorsement of House Speaker Anthony Rendon, who represents Assembly District 63. After she filed the petition, which had one more signature than the 10 she was required to receive, letters were sent from two delegates asking that their signatures be revoked, though no procedure exists to allow signatures to be removed from a petition. Estrada’s campaign suspects that Rendon or his campaign formally contacted the delegates to pressure them into writing the letters.

“The campaign paid $250 to be considered for the endorsement of the party. We met all the requirements asked of us,” said Estrada, in an interview with The Real News Network. Rendon irked progressives in California last year when he single-handedly decided to table a Medicare For All bill, SB562, from being voted on after it passed in the California State Senate. “It is unfortunate that the California Democratic Party chooses to not follow its own bylaws and make up rules as they go along to ensure that I am not able to be considered for the endorsement of the party.”

Estrada tried to appeal the Democratic Party’s decision to reject her petition, but they made a ruling that no vote would be held at the pre-endorsement conference, leaving the only option to challenge the party’s endorsement of Rendon at the California Democratic Party State Convention in late February, where the petition process requires a greater effort to reach the threshold.

http://therealnews.com/t2/story:21025:California-Democratic-Party-Shields-Top-Dems-From-Primary-Challengers
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 07:17 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
You think it honorable for a president to force the Japanese into attacking PH,

The only people who are responsible for Japan's crimes and atrocities is Japan. They were not forced into anything.

camlok wrote:
an event he knew and planned for.

Balderdash.
camlok

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2018 09:20 pm
@oralloy,
US presidents are all world class liars. Roosevelt lied just as Bush/Cheney lied.

There is no evidence for any hijackers but so many people still pretend to believe the biggest US false flag event ever.

Nanothermite, a solely US government/US military explosive developed in the 1990s, was found in WTC dust along with iron microspheres, which is a by product of these nanothermite reactions. They were about 6% of WTC dust, a huge amount when normal office dust has 0.04%, which illustrates that a lot of nanothermite was used.

Here's US military scientists talking about their "new generation of super explosives"

Quote:
Nanoscale Chemistry Yields Better Explosives

At Livermore Laboratory, sol-gel chemistry-the same process used to make aerogels or "frozen smoke" (see S&TR, November/December 1995)—has been the key to creating energetic materials with improved, exceptional, or entirely new properties. This energetic materials breakthrough was engineered by Randy Simpson, director of the Energetic Materials Center; synthetic chemists Tom Tillotson, Alex Gash, and Joe Satcher; and physicist Lawrence Hrubesh.

These new materials have structures that can be controlled on the nanometer (billionth-of-a-meter) scale. Simpson explains, "In general, the smaller the size of the materials being combined, the better the properties of energetic materials. Since these `nanostructures' are formed with particles on the nanometer scale, the performance can be improved over materials with particles the size of grains of sand or of powdered sugar.

https://str.llnl.gov/str/RSimpson.html

Nano scale explosives, built from the nano scale up, not a grind components down process. This makes the new thermite a highly powerful explosive.

Arab hijackers didn't plant this super explosive in the twin towers and WTC 7.

The people who own this material, the US government, own 911. There is no other conclusion a sentient adult can make.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:17 pm
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-democrats-fall-short-in-challenging-trumps-anti-immigrant-fervor?mbid=social_facebook
The autocrat’s world is terrifying. He lives surrounded by enemies, shadowed by danger, forever perched on the precipice. The autocrat’s best trick is getting everyone to believe that we are all in peril. A year ago, Donald Trump devoted his Inaugural Address to enumerating the largely imaginary horrors of American life; on Tuesday, in his first State of the Union address, he boasted of keeping danger at bay and emphasized the need for ever greater protection, particularly against the “open borders [that] have allowed drugs and gangs to pour into our most vulnerable communities.” Immediately after, Representative Joseph Kennedy III delivered the official Democratic response with an eerily familiar sense of frightened urgency. “This Administration isn’t just targeting the laws that protect us,” Kennedy said, “they are targeting the very idea that we are all worthy of protection.” The unofficial Democratic responses from Bernie Sanders, Maxine Waters, and others sounded less terrified, but did not overtly attack Trump’s central message about the danger of immigrants. The Spanish-language response delivered by the Virginia legislator Elizabeth Guzmán struck the more traditional notes of immigrants’ American dreams, but stopped short of a direct challenge to the Trumpian framing of immigration as a threat to the country.
The predicament is not exactly new: Democrats—like much of the Western left—have long found themselves in a position of merely mitigating the damage done by the endlessly ascendant anti-immigrant right. Proposing a cardinally different view of immigration, one that rejects both fear and pity, has become politically unimaginable. Trump did not create this dynamic, but he has brought it into new relief.
Trump has held immigrants responsible for all the fears in which he traffics, from terrorism to rape to economic uncertainty. A year ago, he unveiled a special hotline for reporting crimes allegedly committed by immigrants. During his State of the Union address, he framed his immigration-policy proposals in terms of crime: gang violence and drug trafficking.
In his rebuttal, Sanders met Trump halfway. “We need to seriously address the issue of immigration,” he said, as though it were generally accepted that the United States is currently dealing with unusually large numbers of immigrants or facing unusually burdensome questions of immigration. (It is not.) He brushed aside Trump’s proposed solutions to the imagined problem and went on to promise to protect Dreamers. Kennedy made the same promise.
So did Trump. The President’s four-part proposal, released a few days before the State of the Union address and summarized in the speech itself, promises a path to citizenship for Dreamers, along with a border wall, an end to the visa-lottery program, and severe cuts to family-based immigration. Trump repeated his promise to move to a merit-based immigration system. This is the other logical framework he applies to the issue of immigration: the right to enter this country must be earned.
The Democrats grant Trump this premise, too. Kennedy and Sanders both said, in effect, that Dreamers have earned the right to stay in the United States by growing up here; focussing on Dreamers is a way of avoiding a larger conversation about immigration. Kennedy engaged Trump in a rhetorical tug-of-war about the Dreamers: where Trump said that “Americans are dreamers, too”—implying that the aspirations of native-born Americans are more important than those of immigrants—Kennedy switched to Spanish to offer assurance to the Dreamers: “Ustedes son parte de nuestra historia.” You are part of our story. The phrasing seemed unintentionally to reaffirm the you/us divide, but the bigger issue is that the official Democratic response did not address immigration beyond the issue of Dreamers—because, it appears, congressional Democrats have little to say on the topic.
The standard Democratic objection to anti-immigrant policies is that immigrants are good people who benefit the economy. This was the basic message of Guzmán’s speech. There are variations and amendments to this argument: not all immigrants are terrorists; immigrants commit fewer crimes than non-immigrants; they serve in our military. All of this is, essentially, the same meritocratic logic that Trump is proposing; they are merely haggling over the price.
A different approach to thinking about immigration would frame the issue in purely moral terms rather than largely economic ones. It may address American responsibility in a world in which tens of millions of people have been displaced by war, famine, and violence. This would mean talking not only about the Haitian or Salvadoran refugees who are being deported from the United States but also about the hundreds of thousands of Syrian and Yemeni refugees who have no hope of entering the one country in the world best situated to give them shelter. It may address the future of a planet that is slowly becoming unsuitable for human habitation, and the American responsibility to those who lose their homes as a result. It may even question the premise that the dumb luck of having been born in the United States gives a group of people the right to decide who may enter the premises.
Trump, of course, is obsessed with birthright, whether it concerns his children’s wealth or Barack Obama’s Presidency. By instinct, he is particularly sensitive to potential challenges to Americans’ birthright to be the gatekeepers of this land. He has repeatedly singled out the visa-lottery program, which accounts for a very small percentage of people who immigrate to the United States, but is the one program that exposes the random nature of borders and of the distribution of passports. Of course, randomness is, among other things, terrifying—especially if you have convinced yourself and others that the world is full of danger, and that the purpose of politics is protection.

Masha Gessen, a staff writer, has written several books, including, most recently, “The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia,” which won the National Book Award in 2017.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 01:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It may even question the premise that the dumb luck of having been born in the United States gives a group of people the right to decide who may enter the premises.

I tend to like Gessen but she's getting quite unrealistic there.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:57 am
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 09:57 am
@Olivier5,
You say she's unrealistic, Olivier. Now that is big time hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:31 am
Looks like establishment Democrats’ rank and file donors are keeping their money, but progressives, not so much.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/02/six-insurgent-candidates-just-out-raised-their-establishment-democratic-opponents/

Bernicrats are moving in!! Wooohoooo!
——————————
Excerpt:

But a rival strategy, first attempted by the Howard Dean presidential campaign, then adopted in part by Barack Obama, and later in full by Bernie Sanders, is now going local, fueled by second-generation national online groups like the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, Democracy for America, and MoveOn, as well as new ones, such as Our Revolution and Justice Democrats. In short, candidates who campaign on populist, progressive platforms find grassroots supporters who can collectively rival the corporate donors who have powered the party for so long.

“Our movement is developing an alternative infrastructure to support populist campaigns so they never have to court the big corporate donors who push so many Democrats away from a working class agenda,” said Waleed Shahid, communications director of Justice Democrats, a group pushing for more populist progressives in the Democratic Party.

And even on establishment terms, it’s working.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:45 am
@Lash,
I hope they can generate enough publicity to get the message to every potential voter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 07:34 pm
There's no doubt the Republicans stink.

By Bill Maher

Tune into national or local news on any day and you’re bound to see another sad story about murder-suicide. It goes like this: Divorced Dad doesn’t like the court-ordered financial settlement or the custody arrangements or the fact that his wife, who he used to control, is no longer under his control, so he shows up on Christmas Eve and kills the whole family and himself.

There was an ideal, you see, a way things ought to be. And if things can’t be that way, he’s not capable of adjusting or moving on. No, the wife, the kids and the dog – they all have to die. And the house definitely needs to be burned down.

And that’s what Trump supporters are doing to America: “If I can’t have you, if I can’t control you, if you don’t meet my ideal, I’d rather burn this ************ down.” They hate progressive, legalized-pot, gay-marriage, Black Lives Matter, diversity America like Murder-Suicide Dad hates his ex-wife. That’s why they support the repeal of their own healthcare and the gutting of the CHIP and Meals on Wheels programs and the withdrawal from the Paris Accord and the adoption of giant tax cuts for the wealthy and the systematic delegitimization of the free press, the judiciary and the rule of law – it’s shooting the children one by one rather than letting go of their ideal of a white, male-dominated, “great again” America.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 02:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Excellent comparison.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2018 06:37 am
Why Joe is a No, another great Truthdig article.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/joe-kennedy-iii-just-another-false-progressive-idol-like-jfk/

My first political memory is the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy (JFK). I was 5 years old, home from kindergarten on the afternoon of Nov. 22, 1963. I was in the living room in a small apartment in the liberal, racially integrated neighborhood of Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago. The television was on because my mother had been watching soap operas on CBS.

After Walter Cronkite announced that Kennedy had been proclaimed dead, I relayed the news to my mother, who was ironing sheets in an adjacent hallway. She burst into tears. My recollection of Kennedy’s death is forever linked to an image of my mother quietly sobbing in a haze of white steam. At my age, I of course had no idea why anyone would weep over Jack Kennedy’s death.

Later it came into focus. My parents were postwar liberal Democrats. Kennedy was something of a hero in my household. My father was a young jazz-piano-playing academic, a sociologist encouraged by Kennedy’s purported cultivation of intellectuals and the arts—a break from the official suspicion in which thinkers and artists had been held during the bleak McCarthy years.