Why I left the Democratic Party

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:21 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I don't know about maporsche but, as for me, yes I do. The Dreamers were brought here as a babies or children, this is their home, they have lives here.

Fair and true enough. Let's put aside that DACA encourages people who love their children and want to give them the best future possible to violate our laws and bring their children into our country illegally.Is this the #1 issue in American life such that it warrants shutting down the government?

There are countless other issues that involve American citizens which the Dems could be basing their extortionist games on. Why have they chosen this one?

Maybe we need to start calling the children of people gunned down in Chicago "Dreamers" so the Dems will focus on their plight.

Quote:
They contribute to our country and our economy.

Some do; some don't. You're not of the belief that they all do, are you?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:24 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Bullshit. Frustrated by our "first past the post" electoral system which tends to make third party challenges irrelevant, I consider them slightly less toxic than the other main party, better on environmental, legal, and social issues, dismally equivalent on military adventurism.

You surely don't think there is something wrong with us bombing other countries?!?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:27 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

If I were in charge, I'd have a path of citizenship for every immigrant that can step foot on American soil .

Guess what? There is!

And it extends to would be immigrants who would have to walk on water to be able to step foot on our soil.

Apparently, you want to give some sort of preference to those who can hoof it into our country.

You must be someone who prescribes to the notion of "Possession is 99% of the law"

hightor

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 08:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
But you didn't answer my question

Which was:
Quote:
Who is responsible for the result of a failed attempt at extortion? The party that tried it, or the party that refused to give in to it?

If you're asking "who's to blame?" I don't think it's really going to be one side or the other's "fault". The whole charade is just one more embarrassing example of a dysfunctional institution where palace intrigue and bureaucratic procedure substitute for effective leadership in the pursuit of the common good. I don't like it. Any of it.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 09:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
If the Dems ok a border wall -

I recognize that a border wall may not be something that you see a need for. But what is so objectionable about it that you'd be outraged if one were built?
layman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 09:48 pm
@oralloy,
Virtually every day I read about some illegal alien criminal who had previously been deported 10, 12, 15, even 20 times. Without "border security" deportation is futile. I don't know to what extent a wall will bring it, but it seems the border patrol agents think it would be hugely beneficial.

It wouldn't need to prevent all that many illegal entries to offset the costs of deporting them once, let alone many times. Not that cost alone is relevant, of course. The cost of their crimes against humanity and drug smuggling is incalculable.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:02 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
But arguing day-to-day politics or the same debates over and over on a web forum with people whose minds are equally made up ... I mean, I do it too. Sometimes you just want to, or need to. But an effective tool for political advocacy it's not, really...

I feel that by posting facts in political threads I help prevent liberals from successfully making claims that are contrary to reality.

They may still make the claims, of course, but the claims will not be very successful with my facts sitting there contradicting them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
55 Democrats just voted to help the Republicans renew the wiretap law.

We want our government to be able to protect us from terrorists.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:06 pm
The vote failed. Thanks, Obama.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
They occasionally get slack and time, like right after Obama got elected the first time. He told the Democrats, paraphrasing, "Don't do anything consequential while the Republicans are in a weakened state, or I will veto it. The Republicans should be strong enough to fight us before we do that." In short, they always give up before the fight even starts.

By my recollection when Obama first got elected he pushed through a massive health insurance program.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Bill Clinton was a Democrat in name only. He usurped Republican ideas and was applauded as a political genius, because the Democrats in congress loved him for it. Kill welfare, preside over prisons for profit, take away our bank protections.

Clinton could not have been elected during the Reagan era without being Reagan-lite.

It's going to be some 20 years before we see another Democratic president, but once we do see one, they will only manage to get elected by being Trump-lite.

edgarblythe wrote:
Obama continuing W's war policies,

The terrorists are bad news. It is good that Obama protected us from them.

edgarblythe wrote:
Bush era tax cuts (his compromise tailored to his donors),

From my memory, when the tax cuts were about to expire, Obama insisted that we only renew the cuts for the middle class and allow the cuts for the rich to expire. The end result was no agreement and all the tax cuts expired.

This is very likely the reason why the recent round of tax cuts were made to only expire for the middle class and are permanent for the wealthy.

edgarblythe wrote:
actions driving away jobs and wages.

I don't recall Obama doing such things.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Others who think as I do have quit a2k in disgust. I won't give anyone that satisfaction.

Good for you for not quitting. While I don't agree with your anti-war policies, it is good that you continue to post your views.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:24 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Oh, well, this is where diverge so to speak from like Walter and others. I personally believe in NSA and spying. I even think data collecting is ok if it saves lives. I think this route of spying is more effective than wars in fighting terrorism or just in the criminal capacity with those who go on gun rampages and I really don't have a problem with as long as it is lawful and with warrants.

Exactly.

I for one prefer to not be horribly murdered. And if spying can help the government to protect me from terrorists, and if the spying is authorized by law and overseen by judges, I'm all for it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:27 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I'll be honest, "Mr or Mrs. Not Trump" with a willingness to veto these Republican passed bills, put better judges into lifetime positions, and not know how to use a Twitter account is more than enough for me right now.

Trump is nominating judges who will enforce the Constitution. What could be better than that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:28 pm
Andy Borowitz

Trump Demands Investigation Into How Hillary Shut Down Government
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:33 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I read for the most part the piece about the new young Alaskans turning the state purplish. I agree, they are mobilized. However, I don't agree with being pro-gun to exclusion of sensible gun safety laws nor do I agree with big oil without big environmental laws along side it. I noticed it said in Alaska the three big things the young'un's are for are pro-choice, pro-guns and pro-oil. With independents there always seems a catch. With all the gun deaths in the US, I don't think we need more pro-gun people.

People in many parts of the US are fond of freedom. If the Democrats will not accept that, then they will never be elected in a district that is pro-freedom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:37 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
"It doesn't matter much which party is elected."
Says that man who wonders why things like Sandy Hook continue to happen with no changes (the democrats must get a TON of cash from the NRA, huh?)

Things like Sandy Hook happen because sometimes people reach their breaking point, snap, and try to kill a lot of people. It has nothing to do with Democrats, nothing to do with Republicans, and nothing to do with the NRA.

maporsche wrote:
or why the Supreme Court leans right and we get these 5-4 decisions on cases like Heller or Citizen's United.
Doesn't matter much at all...

Having the Supreme Court respect the Constitution is a GOOD thing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I usually keep revelette on ignore for the person's negativity. Rather amusing such an objectionable person accuses my attempts at restoring positivity to the party of being negative.

I've seen Revelette be mistaken on the facts before, but I don't recall ever seeing any negativity.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:42 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
In the meantime maybe these democrats can work to get guns out the hands of people who shouldn't have them...you know, progressing. Getting stuff done.

The NRA will always protect our rights from the Democrats.

That's a lesson that the Democrats should have learned from the 2013 gun control debacle. Obama shattered his presidency attacking the NRA, and the only thing he managed to achieve is Trump's 2016 election victory.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There is not a realistic path for DACA people. Is there?