Why I left the Democratic Party

layman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 10:30 am
@revelette1,
Kelly said Mexico wouldn't directly pay for it, but that they could recover the cost via visa fees, renegotiating NAFTA, or by other methods. Trump then tweeted that Mexico would pay for it, directly or indirectly, that's all.

Hear it from Kelly, not some second-hand account.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 12:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Democrats advance one increment while losing two.

Well, since they are in the minority (partly due to people like Jill Stein voters), I expect they'll lose a few more increments.

Not that you the purist among us care about such a thing. The longer goal is to make the country SOOOOO bad that the only solution are far-left ones. Screw all the people who get screwed in between. Screw those Sandy Hook (and future Sandy Hook) children. They're just sacrifices that must be made to advance society.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 03:38 pm
@maporsche,
My Goodness maporche I think I need to welcome you to the Dark Side Wink
maporsche

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 06:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
My Goodness maporche I think I need to welcome you to the Dark Side Wink

Yeah, my preference for a left-wing candidate as opposed to a far-left-wing candidate has really ruffled a few feathers.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 06:12 pm
@maporsche,
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/CB7DXG/i-hate-mornings!-a-european-eagle-owl-with-ruffled-feathers-and-looking-CB7DXG.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 06:25 pm
@maporsche,
Establishment Democrats are in no way ‘left-wing’.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 09:17 pm
Real Music

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2018 09:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for posting this video. I also thank Bernie Sanders for standing up and fighting. I hope the democrats follow Bernie Sanders lead.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 02:10 am
@maporsche,
To describe Bernie as far-left is to say that the present Democratic party is far-left. Have you listened to Trump a bit too much lately?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 06:41 am
It's telling that many Democrats describe Sanders as a radical, when in fact, he is in line with Roosevelt's politics. Shows how far right the Clintons and Republicans have moved them.
maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 07:27 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

To describe Bernie as far-left is to say that the present Democratic party is far-left. Have you listened to Trump a bit too much lately?

I was trying to make a distinction between the two candidates. The primary one is that Sanders was/is more left than Clinton.

But you know as well as I do, as far as American politics go, Bernie is far-left.
maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 07:34 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's telling that many Democrats describe Sanders as a radical, when in fact, he is in line with Roosevelt's politics. Shows how far right the Clintons and Republicans have moved them.

I suppose you won't be happy until I just up and join the republican party huh edgar?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 09:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Oddly enough I agree with him, up to a point. The republicans are backed into a corner and it would be their fault if a shutdown was to happen. But that wall, if it actually comes to pass even if it is agreed to in the budget, (I think the Texans and those folks who lands are going to be used will be ones to take the government to court..) will not be all that will be got out of it. The DACA will have been passed which is at least something. Most die hard republicans no matter how long the government will be shut down, will never agree to pass the DACA deal. (whatever it is called)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:50 am
@Lash,
Compared to Republicans they are. Everything is relative and the terms maporche is using are, by American standards, generally accepted

What would be preferable: "Kind of left-wing" and "Not European left-wing but more left-wing than the other guy left-wing?"
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I disagree that everything is relative to the point that we can feel comfortable making meaningless comparisons.

Who’s the nicest guy, Hitler or Stalin? Sometimes we just need to call things what they are.

The Democrat party, like the Republican Party, is corporate-controlled, money-centered, and unresponsive to the dire needs of the people. Both parties are corrupt and self-serving and actively damaging the country.

Neither are proponents of democracy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:31 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
The republicans are backed into a corner and it would be their fault if a shutdown was to happen.

Remember this line from "Usual Suspects?"

Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

The greatest trick the Democrats ever pulled (with the considerable help of their friends in the MSM, and the complicity of weak-kneed Republicans) was to convince Americans that any and all government shut-downs are the fault of Republicans.

The Republicans are prepared to pass a budget that will keep the government running. If it doesn't pass it will be because of the votes of a few rogue RINOS and all of the Democrats...or because of a Democrat filibuster.

And what's the problem with the proposed budget? Nothing really except the bill presented doesn't have language that reinstates DACA and makes it permanent.

So the Democrats will allow the government to shut down unless the Republicans submit to their extortion and give them the DACA they want. Fair play since the Republicans have been willing to play that same game. but what is stunning (and could only happen with the cooperation of the MSM) is that the Dems may be able to pull it off AND have the blame stick to the GOP

Now it's not often that one party in a political battle is able to employ such an effective WIN/WIN weapon and so (within the context of politics are war and war is hell) I don't blame them. It's too good to pass on, but to hear or see their supporters repeat this nonsense is distressing.

1) They've either been brainwashed by the constant propaganda in the media, and lack the wit to question it
2) They feel as if they are vicariously participating in this sleazy political battle and are cynically delighted about misdirection and disinformation working if it hurts the other tribe.

For whatever reason, the Dems have decided that getting their way on DACA is so important, it's worth a government shutdown. There are other means for them to try and get what they want without shutting the government down, but they've decided this one offers the greatest chance of success.

Who is responsible for the result of a failed attempt at extortion? The party that tried it, or the party that refused to give in to it?

hightor

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Who is responsible for the result of a failed attempt at extortion? The party that tried it, or the party that refused to give in to it?

The ruling party has had months to prepare a budget and they haven't been able to so maybe the responsibility rests on them — and on the institutional processes which lead to these shutdown scares in the first place.
maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 12:00 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

The ruling party has had months to prepare a budget and they haven't been able to so maybe the responsibility rests on them — and on the institutional processes which lead to these shutdown scares in the first place.

That same party is also the one that upset the apple card that is the DACA program. Remember Trump announcing that he was ending it? HE (I'd say they, but I'm pretty sure it was just Trump being Trump) is the reason that the democrats have this problem they're trying to solve now.

Not to mention the Don sabotaging his own bipartisan agreement on immigration last week.

The republicans could keep the government running too if they would (come to an agreement themselves) then:

a) present a clean DACA bill ....then....
b) present a clean CHIP extension bill (which would SAVE the government money over 10 years) ...then...
c) present a clean spending bill

They only want to do the 3rd, after they've caused the problems of 1 & 2.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 12:23 pm
@maporsche,
If Obama had gone through Congress instead of his "pen and phone", we wouldn't be in the bind in the first place. Why are is the DNC tying DACA to the spending bill? DACA was never a legal budgeted part of govt spending, that was put in place by an illegal EO/EA.

I'm guessing you support amnesty for Dreamers and nothing else?
revelette1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 12:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:

I'm guessing you support amnesty for Dreamers and nothing else?

I don't know about maporsche but, as for me, yes I do. The Dreamers were brought here as a babies or children, this is their home, they have lives here. They contribute to our country and our economy.