Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cool!!!

More stuff that happened when I was 12. Let's chat a bit about these current events!! What do you say?
maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I found a much more important and relevant part of the link you posted. Here you go.

Quote:
“In terms of public policy and poverty … the research shows us that we’d have about 90 million people in poverty if we didn’t have Social Security, the Earned Income Tax Credit, SNAP, which is food stamps, and so on,” Edelman tells Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer in Part One of an interview on “Scheer Intelligence.”

“So we actually have been doing—and this is very important in the age of Paul Ryan, who says nothing works, and let’s get rid of all of it, which is a total lie,” Edelman continues, “we should understand, it wasn’t as though we stopped shop in 1973 and said we’re not going to help at all. We did.”

Democrats HAVE been helping the poor. Republicans want to dismantle it.

In 2018 (you know, this year, when YOU can make a difference), THAT is the most important thing to remember.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh, come on! You both see this as entirely organic? Smile

Of course, there are plenty of Democrats who have a big problem with sexual harassment and predation, and there were even a few who had a problem with Bill Clinton's, but are you really trying to tell me that those who were adults at the time of his presidency all simply evolved over the same exact time period?

No, I don't see it as entirely organic. I do see that the base has organically changed (as individual people do on many social issues) in response to the information age rising, but you're correct that many current Dem politicians are now seizing advantage based on this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:45 pm
@maporsche,
Start your own effing thread if you can't handle it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 02:47 pm
@maporsche,
Clinton put all that on the skids, in collusion with the Republicans.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 03:06 pm
What goes on today did not begin in a vacuum. What happened as far back as the Great Depression and WWII all the way til today is relevant to our situation.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 03:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
All of it? Really?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 11:12 pm
@maporsche,
In truth, every last scintilla of the past, the history in its entirety, has brought us to where we are today. Those who choose to forget or are unable to absorb this fact, not only run greater risk of repeating past errors; but, creating larger errors, all why dwelling in ignorance.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 06:38 am
It's a convenient dodge, to ignore events that got us to this point. The Republicans' misdeeds, which are egregious, at this point in history, deservedly make a huge target for our crusade to restore the republic to sanity and decency. The emotions that cause us to fight so hard against them gets subverted into ignoring or defending Democratic collusion and weaknesses in creating the conditions that lead us here. But, to successfully fight the Republicans it is necessary to make changes that actually fight for the people. This is largely an exercise in rhetoric, at this point.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 09:30 am
@Sturgis,
Look the world changes, all the time. If you insist on looking in the rear view mirror constantly then you’ll only succeed at driving us off a cliff.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 11:23 am
I've reverted to not reading the last poster's contributions. Whatever was said is likely just another dodge to avoid confronting the facts.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 11:29 am
My take is, even if you have voted for somebody or plan to vote for somebody, that's not cause to give them a pass on anything. When they **** up or **** you over, don't roll over and play dead. Hold them accountable. Only a resolute voting public will make them do the right thing.

my quote from an older thread
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 11:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes edgar....you KEEP telling us that (repeatedly). Yet, you keep responding after I post something. Strange, no?

This politics board seems to be a lonely place for you. I wonder why.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 04:51 pm
@maporsche,
What I was saying to you is that the past, all of it, is equally important when it comes to our current time and situations. Now, if you'd prefer to ignore either all or your select choices, then by all means do so. Remember though, when errors are repeated again and again, don't start moaning, crying and carrying on over it. You reap what you sow and if you fail to pull up the choking weeds, then there's none to blame other than yourself.

So, check the past and keep it in mind as you look not only at the future; but, the current times as well.
Lash

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 05:29 pm
@maporsche,
Because he’s one of the very few left here with integrity.

That’s become an unpopular, archaic term. Irritating, isn’t it?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2018 05:44 pm
@Lash,
They put me down, but they can't put me away.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 05:12 am
Quote:
How to Survive Trump’s Second Year: Engage Politically

By John Cassidy, January 3, 2018, The New Yorker

In addition to lamenting Trump, the more important—and more rewarding—thing is to defeat him at the ballot box in the 2018 midterm elections.

By 10:30 in the morning on the first workday of 2018, the Troll-in-Chief had already used his Twitter account to lash out at Iran, Hillary Clinton, Huma Abedin, Kim Jong Un, the New York Times, Democrats, and his own Justice Department. He had also claimed credit for the fact that there had been no fatalities anywhere in the world on commercial jets in 2017. (“Since taking office I have been very strict on Commercial Aviation.”) On Tuesday night, he posted what may have been his nuttiest tweet yet, boasting that his “Nuclear Button” was bigger and more effective than the one Kim claimed to have on his desk.

Is Trump ever going to zip it in 2018? Of course not. He lives in his own febrile and self-centered world, where the traditional rules of political discourse don’t apply. Since any thought of him changing is fanciful, we are in for another year of enervating acrimony at home and unnerving jitters on the international front. As the Russia investigation continues, Trump’s allies on Capitol Hill and in the conservative media will step up their efforts to discredit Robert Mueller, the special counsel, and his team. As the controversy about professional football players kneeling during the national anthem fades, Trump will also be on the lookout for new racial issues that he can use to rile up his base. And, as long as he follows the G.O.P. line on policy issues, the Party’s leaders on Capitol Hill will continue to support him and make excuses for his behavior.

That isn’t a complete tour of the 2018 horizon, however. In addition to lamenting Trump, the more important (and more rewarding) thing will be to respond to him politically. Last year, large numbers of Americans did just that—marching in protests, lobbying their elected representatives, making whatever financial contributions they could, and campaigning in local political elections. Come January 20th, many of these Trump antagonists will be back on the streets, taking part in this year’s Women’s March. (More than two hundred and fifty marches and events are planned.)

Although some commentators have lamented the opposition to Trump as evidence of growing political polarization, it actually indicates healthy democratic resistance to a rogue President, who, in the words of Martin Wolf, of the Financial Times, “violates the behaviour and attitudes the world expects of a US president” on a daily basis. And this year, unlike 2017, will provide an opportunity to deliver a rebuke of Trump where it counts most: at the ballot box, in nationwide elections. If Republicans lose control of Congress in November’s midterms, Trump will become a lame duck, and the chances of his being impeached may rise sharply. For Trump’s foes, the prospect of such an outcome should provide sufficient motivation to overcome @realDonaldTrump fatigue.

The possibility of Democrats surging politically in 2018 is real. In the Senate, the Democrats need to pick up two seats—their most hopeful target states seem to be Arizona, Nevada, and Tennessee. In the House, some political experts think that the Democrats will have to win the popular vote by about eight percentage points to gain the twenty-four seats they need, because of Republican gerrymandering. But that also seems possible. According to a CNN poll that was released just before Christmas, the minority party has an eighteen-point lead among registered voters on the generic congressional ballot. The FiveThirtyEight poll average which combines the results of numerous surveys, shows the Democrats with a lead of twelve percentage points. Based on the recent polls, the G.O.P. is “in worse shape right now than any other majority party at this point in the midterm cycle since at least the 1938 election,” Harry Enten, FiveThirtyEight’s senior political writer, pointed out.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-to-survive-trumps-second-year-engage-politically
maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 08:06 am
@Sturgis,
The past has important lesson, to be sure (although less so as time marches on...what can 1992 teach us about social media?). But being pissed off about the past is not the best way to move forward.

I can’t change what happened 2 generations ago. I can only try to change what happens in 2018. Using the tools, people, and resources that 2018 gives to me.

I could sit here all day and wish things had gone my way yesterday, last year, 100 years ago OR I can get past things that I cannot change and make the best out of what today gives me.
maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, have you ever heard about the benefits of doing a ‘gratitude journal’ and the positive effects that it can have on someone’s life (mine for example)?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2018 09:25 am
@Olivier5,
Let us hope the Democrats who win will have learned how to serve their constituents better than the donors.