Why I left the Democratic Party

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:54 pm
@maporsche,
I can think about this in different ways, not so sure yet, and I've no idea what goes on now in the work force. Politics? major charities?

Back in my time in university labs, we would get an announcement from the department secretary about donating to what charity I don't remember (one of the big ones) but that was a really pushy maneuver, for us to get the highest numbers.

Ms. Pissy said, 'no way', probably just to myself.
Not that I am against donation, yes I have done and with my time too, but I don't like pushy enforcement on the job.
A year or two later I was recruited to a private lab, so I don't know if that is still happening at the uni these days.
Sigh, I miss the people there. Snort, my boss would be pushing ninety. Time flies.

maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:59 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You guys have the best democracy money can buy. Lobbies and co have far more influence than voters. Wake up already.

Fine. I guess to make the progressives happy, I should limit my donation to political candidates to $25.
maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I can think about this in different ways, not so sure yet, and I've no idea what goes on now in the work force. Politics? major charities?

Back in my time in university labs, we would get an announcement from the department secretary about donating to what charity I don't remember (one of the big ones) but that was a really pushy maneuver, for us to get the highest numbers.

Ms. Pissy said, 'no way', probably just to myself.
Not that I am against donation, yes I have done and with my time too, but I don't like pushy enforcement on the job.
A year or two later I was recruited to a private lab, so I don't know if that is still happening at the uni these days.
Sigh, I miss the people there. Snort, my boss would be pushing ninety. Time flies.

We get those for smaller local charities (like food banks for Thanksgiving dinner fundraisers) and the company throws competitions between departments. My company also brings in blood donations companies to get blood donations and bone marrow registries. They bring in children to participate in Junior Achievement too.

Really evil stuff these corporations are into.

Absolutely NEVER has happened for anything remotely political at my company. I think that's illegal in fact.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not Hillary.

Yeah I know. That's why I wrote 'Obama.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:04 pm
@maporsche,
You're bogged down in details. Your own contribution means nothing. Your being classified as a corporate donor means very little, beyond the technicalities of the related legislation. It's a meaningless detail. The big picture is: your political system is AWASH with corporate money, and the payers are buying SOMETHING...
maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:09 pm
@Olivier5,
You're missing it Olivier.

Anything you've ever seen classified as corporate money has been from employees of corporations. Its not GE donating 10MM to Clinton. It's tens of thousands of GE employees donating to Clinton.

SuperPACs and dark money coming from the Citizens United decision in 2010 is where the big money is, but those donors are not published so you don't have any idea who is donating to these. You don't know if it's corporate or if its billionaire money.

Lobbying is a different issue.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:19 pm
@maporsche,
These channels you listed are different but they add up... In fact they represent a pretty staggering amount. Do you think it's a huge strength, or a huge liability for the nation, to have so much money injected in politics?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:20 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Lobbying is a different issue.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Only problem is that the Conservative-heavy SC will do nothing to change this, so the problem literally is unsolvable until we change the makeup of the court. And even then, they may not change it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

These channels you listed are different but they add up... In fact they represent a pretty staggering amount. Do you think it's a huge strength, or a huge liability for the nation, to have so much money injected in politics?

I don't know that it's either a liability or a strength. I don't think money alone makes something evil, at least not automatically. I imagine it comes down to whether or not you agree with the message, which is a bias I'm trying to not let influence my position.

If it was a corporation donating billions to PACs combat climate change then of course I agree.

If it's another corporation donating billions to PACs to loosen environmental restrictions, then no, I don't agree.

You can't have laws that way though.

Regardless, the SCOTUS has made the playing field what it is right now. Only getting democrats in control has any chance of limiting it. As bad as you may think they are, they are tons better than any republican candidate.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:40 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Regardless, the SCOTUS has made the playing field what it is right now. Only getting democrats in control has any chance of limiting it. As bad as you may think they are, they are tons better than any republican candidate.

Edit: yes, the SCOTUS situation is untractable. Whatever. Your democracy has been terminated.

BTW, I don't think bad of all Democrats, only of what we may call the "rich and happy Democrats". Those have teneous connections with the working class, and little fire for change left in their bellies. Borderline republican-lite. Afluent, popular types.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Great, you and Edgar can go sit in the corner with the other Decliners and moan about how our country is going to hell; people like Maporsche and I will keep right on getting **** done as best we can.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 03:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You guys are so smart. If you would get your heads out of your asses you would be dangerous.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You guys are so smart. If you would get your heads out of your asses you would be dangerous.

I'm dangerous already. You wouldn't like the head-out-of-ass version of me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:18 pm
You're more full of **** than a Christmas turkey
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:18 pm
@maporsche,
Thanks, that is clarifying..
Junior achievement, I remember that, though we moved before my joining.

Back to my starting whine - I think I don't like pressure for individuals in a system.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Huh. I started within, if not rich, democrats who could manage their bills. That passed, one very bad day, probably I was twelve, dad fired, politics related.
After that, even writing about any of this is complicated.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You're more full of **** than a Christmas turkey

Haha, as opposed to you?

At least I have both the ability and drive to a) actually do meaningful and in-depth research as to why our political situation is the way it is, b) create an argument that's sourced in fact and reality, and c) discuss in depth why I believe what I do, with links to sources and factual attribution upon request.

You yell at clouds, and get angry when others don't yell at them with you. You cannot possibly believe that I am injured by your criticism of me, in any way.

Cycloptichorn
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm generally listening and agreeing or not on what you say, cyclo.

The ability and drive to a) actually do meaningful and in-depth research as to why our political situation is the way it is, b) create an argument that's sourced in fact and reality, and c) discuss in depth why I believe what I do, with links to sources and factual attribution upon request.

Some of us can't do that, smartass.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 05:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Why not? That's a serious question.

Cycloptichorn
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 05:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
A lot of us americans are not all that smart, some smart in other ways, but not re intellectual talk.

That is a serious answer.