Why I left the Democratic Party

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I remember politician who almost killed my hand, in our house.
Sadly, I don't remember what I did, except back away, too busy recovering.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 05:46 pm
Not much on the Tomball ballot, this election. A few bills to help vets, pick a school superintendent. But they are all important.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree with you Ed that the Democrats should be pressured and pushed to fight harder for democratic progressive issues. Some of those issues are not as important to me, but some of those issues are extremely important to me.

Yes Ed, I agree that the democrats need to go all out for single-payer health care. Even if we don't succeed in the short term, persistence is the key to eventually getting single-payer health care.

I also agree that the democrats should be more committed and more aggressive in forcing the super rich to pay more in taxes. The super rich has been getting away with murder in lowering their taxes. The super rich are making much of their wealth on the backbone of labor as well as on the demand of the consumers. Without Labor producing their goods and services, and consumers buying their goods and services, they would have nothing. Those greedy super wealthy corporations need to show more appreciation to both labor and consumers. Because without both labor and consumers, they would have nothing. The greedy big corporations can start showing their appreciation by paying more taxes than what they've been paying. The democrats need to be relentless on this issue. If and when the democrats are not relentless and committed, the democratic voters need to keep the pressure on the democratic party on these issues.

Also the democrats need to be much more relentless in fighting against Wall Street corruption and Banking corruption. The democratic voters need to keep the pressure on Democratic party on this issue.

The democrats need to be much more relentless of fighting against big greedy corporations who are poisoning our air, water, and ground. These are issues that we as democrats need to keep the pressure on the party to fight hard and aggressive. Although the democrats are better than the republicans on these issues, we as democrats still need to keep the pressure on the party. I do not foresee myself ever voting for the republicans. I will continue to vote for the democrats over the republicans. I cannot foresee that ever changing. Ed don't stop fighting the good fight. I do support your fight.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 09:49 pm
From what I understand, the Democrats who won in VA and NJ tonight aren’t as progressive as Bernie Sanders. So it’s pretty horrible that they won actually. Same as Republicans. No difference. Sad.
Real Music

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2017 11:11 pm
@maporsche,
Virginia, in the not to distant past, was a deep red state. Although it has lately been seen as a blue state, it isn't a deep blue state. Virginia is more or less a purple state that has been leaning blue. It is true that Virginia's last several governors have been democrats. I also believe that Barack Obama was the first democrat running for president to win Virginia since the early 1970s. Who knows, maybe Virginia may become a deep blue state within the next decade.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 01:39 am
@ossobucotemp,
People have got used to it but it's a perversion of democracy.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I never left being liberal but instead the growing stupidity of the left pushed me toward the right. I'm somewhere in the middle. I think the alt left and right are both nutcases. I'm happy in the middle. I like to hope I can see the good and the bad of any issue because when it comes down to it that's how things really are. That's why we can never really settle on big issues because we don't 100% gain with no loss or sacrifice. We always gain a little and lose something on anything we decide for governmental policy.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:43 am
@edgarblythe,
What the heck... Why help your opponent? This makes no sense whatsoever.
Krumple

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:50 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

What the heck... Why help your opponent? This makes no sense whatsoever.

Because your opponent is a human being too. That doesn't make any reasonable sense to help them?

We all want to be free from anxiety and fears. To live a reasonably happy and peaceful life. The problem is there is no clear cut perfect policy to make this work. No policy is ever an absolute win, we always lose something no matter what the issue is.

Also people like to pave the road to hell with their good intentions. They believe their beliefs come without negative consequences. Blind to that fact they refuse to acknowledge that there is a price for everything we set into policy. Ignoring the consequence is far worse than blaming the opposition.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 04:56 am
@Krumple,
Republicans are human beings? That's news to me, I thought they were cactuses.
Krumple

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 05:02 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Republicans are human beings? That's news to me, I thought they were cactuses.

A majority of politics is just jockeying for leverage to move the tax funnel to better aim for their and their constituent's pockets. Policy is only good when the dollars flow towards their bank accounts. Both sides are equally corrupt and liars. They both are playing the same game the only difference is one lie you gullibly believe and the lie from the other team you scream foul.

No you are being swindled by both equally.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 06:16 am
@Krumple,
That's a frequently held position, that all politicians are the same. But I find it too cynical and (I suspect) self-serving. Just because YOU have come to vote for your checkbook doesn't mean that everybody is equally venal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 06:25 am
I never believed all politicians to be the same. The ones calling themselves Republicans have not put up what I consider a decent candidate since before Nixon. I may be down on Democrats right now, but, speaking for me, most stand head and shoulders above most current Republicans. At times I feel sympathy for McCain, but feel he was never right to be president.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 06:40 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for this, it's useful.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 12:31 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

The whole whoring for corporation money is disgraceful. There ought to be a different way to do politics.

In fact, Bernie found this other way to do politics: rely on people's contributions. Campaign finance by and for the many, not the happy few. That's no small part of his legacy. In the current US political environment, it was a truly revolutionary move.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 12:37 pm
@Olivier5,
'cept for the fact that Obama did the same thing, and better, 9 years ago.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 12:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

The whole whoring for corporation money is disgraceful. There ought to be a different way to do politics.

In fact, Bernie found this other way to do politics: rely on people's contributions. Campaign finance by and for the many, not the happy few. That's no small part of his legacy. In the current US political environment, it was a truly revolutionary move.

Corporate contributions to candidates are limited to like $2,500. Any other corporate money comes from employees of companies, you know, people's individual contributions.

I really wish someone would tell me why my individual campaign contributions, coded under "Finance, Insurance & Real Estate" because of my employer, is a BAD thing that should be refused by any "honest" candidate.

Now, Bernie and Obama both had more 'small-dollar' contributions that Hillary. But I can tell you that just because I donated $1400 to Hillary instead of $25 to Bernie doesn't mean that I'm getting any special favors here.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not Hillary.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Indeed, that's part of Obama's legacy, and not one of Bernie's original ideas. But he relied on it pretty heavily. The idea has much merit.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2017 02:52 pm
@maporsche,
You guys have the best democracy money can buy. Lobbies and co have far more influence than voters. Wake up already.