Real Music

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 09:39 pm
Maxine Waters is the hero we need.

Published on Jan 18, 2017
]
Lash

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 09:54 pm
@Real Music,
She’s doing Republicans and Progressives a big favor by mobilizing them to vote against establishment democrats.

She’s ridiculous.
Real Music

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2018 10:45 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
She’s doing Republicans and Progressives a big favor by mobilizing them to vote against establishment democrats.
I think she can prove to be beneficial to democrats.
Speaking for myself, Maxine Waters has my support.

Quote:
She’s ridiculous.
I believe that Maxine Waters is a wonderful strong black woman.
She is a democrat with a spine.
I want to give her a hug and tell her "Thank you" for being strong.
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 01:38 am
Congresswoman Maxine Waters, Continuing the Fight For The People.

Published (April 26, 2017)

Quote:
Former Fox News Commentator Bill O’Reilly has made insulting comments about Congresswoman Maxine Waters. He has done his sexual harassment scandal thing, cost the news company millions and been fired it, and is probably now vacationing at Mar-a-Lago (the President’s residence in Florida).

While the controversial, and many believe racist, Bill O’Reilly is gone from TV, Congresswoman Maxine Waters has continued to do what she has done for the 30 plus years she has been serving in the US Congress. She is resilient, supports causes that uplift Black people, and continues fighting for her people, the less fortunate, the down trodden and the often times forgotten.

The controversial comment about Congresswoman Water’s hair was not only disrespectful (she is in fact one of the most admired and senior members of Congress), but as everyone knows “you just don’t talk about a Black woman’s hair.”

But, Congresswoman Waters was unaffected by the statement. She turned the moment into a platform to bring the issues of her constituents to the forefront. For the past month, she has flown around the country from Los Angeles to Washington DC and back, educating the nation on just how out of step with the American People this president is.

While Congresswoman Waters has been flying all around the country, she spoke directly to the Sentinel, making sure her community and core support base, understood exactly what is going on and how this affects Los Angeles.

“Recently, I responded to the host of a well-known television talk show. I responded to him because he had the audacity to try and demean and intimidate me. In preparing my response, I recognized that it’s not just me, a Member of Congress (Black women are often criticized and the recipient of disparaging and negative comments, mostly by white men). I decided that I would use my response to remind Black women how truly special we are, how nurturing we are, and how we have made such tremendous contributions to our families, our communities and our country, ” Waters said.

In her response, the Congresswoman said: “ I am a strong Black woman. I cannot be intimidated. Don’t allow these right-wing talking heads to intimate you or scare you. Be who you are. Do what you do and let’s get on with these issues.”

Because of Bill O’Reilly’s comments (and one would have to believe, because he directed these comments at such a strong and respected Member of Congress), that over 40 companies had withdrawn ads from The O’Reilly Factor. No doubt, this along with the 13 million dollars in settlements Fox News quietly and/or secretly paid caused the conservative media giant to say “Good Bye” to The O’Reilly Factor.

The Congresswoman is quick to point out that while the sexual harassment allegations and hostile working environment at Fox has been swirling around for years, and should concern everyone, what should concern us most now, is that the President of the United States is defending Fox News’ most notorious offenders. “When the President of the United States goes out of his way to defend a sexual predator, he’s sending a message that will have broader consequences outside of his single statement. This message sends the message that it’s okay to treat women this way and it really is not,” said Congresswomen Waters.

But, Waters doesn’t want to get stuck on the issue of Bill O’Reilly and his sexist and racist comments. She wants to continue the work she has always done; being a voice for change, being a voice for the people and inspiring young men and women alike, to be a proud and an integral part of the election process. “Women of color are a key, emerging bloc with the potential to significantly affect electoral outcomes.” Specifically, in 2012, Black Women voted at a higher rate than any other group – across gender, race and ethnicity and along with other women of color, played a key role in President Obama’s re-election. Maxine Waters believes, that as a group, Black Women have the power to decide an election.

As the Ranking Member of the House Financial Services Committee (she has served since 1991), Congresswoman Waters has the responsibility for America’s banking systems, its financial markets, monetary policy, and housing consumer finance. In her words, “My committee handles the money.” But more importantly the outspoken Congresswoman is an advocate for small minority depository institutions. The number of Black owned banks has hit an all time low of 23 institutions. Supporting these banks with deposits strengthens them and potentially inspires them to invest in projects that affect our community more than larger institutions.

Congresswoman Waters has worked with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) to collect data and report loan and personal characteristic data on credit applications for women owned, minority owned and small businesses. She included a provision in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to explicitly require the collection of certain data, to ensure that lending practices are fair and that there is adequate small lending to those types of entities.

But the Congresswoman doesn’t just do her work in the streets or in the halls of Congress, she takes her fights to the board rooms of corporate America. A report by top management consulting firm McKinsey and Company, found that companies with diverse leadership are more successful. The congresswoman has been pushing this diversity on corporate board issues for years and she is clearly making serious inroads. “For years investment advisors, shareholders, policymakers and other stakeholders, have called for more transparency on the diversity characteristics of board nominees and directors in order to make informed investment and voting decisions.” For years Waters, has lived a basic belief that if we are good enough to spend our money with certain companies for certain products, we should also be good enough to help set the policies on how those dollars are invested and / or spent by that corporation.

With the election of Donald Trump as US President, Congresswoman Waters believes, “we’re in some abnormal times. What impact this new President is going to have on us, our families and our communities,” she said. Congresswomen Waters says President’s philosophy on Blacks supporting him because, as he put it “what have you got to lose”, is a serious problem. She says, “Trump’s budget is a full-on assault on the poor, the homeless, middle class families’ access to legal services, education, jobs and the environment.” She says a “13 percent cut to the Department of Education shows that the President has no interest in ensuring affordable, quality education for all.”

Bill O’Reilly helped make Congresswoman Maxine Waters a hot topic for television news. But, Los Angeles based, California Congresswoman continues to be the same “Maxine” we have all known and loved for years. She is a women not afraid to mix it up for her community, and the people she loves. She says, “I started this conversation discussing Black women and our power. I focused on exercising our power in business and in the financial sector. But more than anything, we have to also focus and hone in on our political power. Part of that is making sure that the public, the media, government officials and political candidates are aware of our power and that we all, every last one of us, STAY WOKE!”

https://lasentinel.net/congresswoman-maxine-waters-continuing-the-fight-for-the-people.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 05:30 am
@Real Music,
I know you like what she said. You approve of people yelling at, harassing, and being rude to Trump supporters in public. Maxine is definitely your leader.

I think it’s wrong to incite violence—which it is doing. Trump’s rhetoric caused violence. It was wrong when he did it.

If you now approve incitement to violence, you’ve lost your moral high ground.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 07:53 am
@Lash,
There's a difference between violence and rudeness.

Quote:
"Pathetic that President Trump attacked smart and compassionate @RepMaxineWaters -- both traits alien to him." ---- Bernie Sanders
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 08:42 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think it’s wrong to incite violence

You don't seem to have any problem with Trump and his supporters doing it.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
I guess you missed where I said I have a problem with that.

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 08:56 am
@Olivier5,
Bernie and I have different opinions about Maxine, the same opinion about Trump.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 09:37 am
@Lash,
I think everyone missed it.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:19 am
@izzythepush,
I’ve noticed that. It’s like a mass hysterical blindness.

It was THE NEXT SENTENCE.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:33 am
@Lash,
I'm sorry, I didn't realise you'd wait until some bellicose rhetoric was directed towards the far right to condemn words on both sides. If you wanted to be taken seriously you would have condemned it at the time, like when Sarah Palin showed pictures of Democratic candidates in sniper's sights.
Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:36 am
@izzythepush,
I’m pretty sure I did. I hope I did.

Many times here, because there is such a cacophony of voices that all say the same thing, I don’t add mine. Sometimes I do.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 10:41 am
@Lash,
The problem is, and I'm not trying to be accusatory here. I can't remember you ever condemning right wing inflammatory language unless there has been some reaction from the left.

Take your fascism in America, about 80% of your posts were condemning the anti fascist protesters. When the usual suspects started insulting the woman who'd been murdered I can't remember you saying anything about it at all. I really can't.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 11:13 am
@Lash,
Yeah, you’re right.
I wrote:

Many times here, because there is such a cacophony of voices that all say the same thing, I don’t add mine. Sometimes I do.

I don’t see the value in piling on when 90% of the people here are saying the same thing. Right or wrong, I see great value in voicing a different perspective.

Sometimes, because it’s completely my opinion—sometimes because I think it should be said by someone.
————————————-
I looked back to see what I said about the Giffords shooting.

I basically said the bullseye ad was in very poor taste, but I was more interested in the speech aspect. I think the person who raises their hand against someone else is completely responsible for the crime they committed, but my opinion about this started morphing during Trump’s campaign.

I watched video showing him explicitly asking his audience to slug people who did certain things. Some protesters at the event were asked to leave, and as they did, an audience member slugged a guy walking out.

That’s explicit incitement to violence. I think trump could be sued for that.

The bullseyes aren’t quite as explicit (with language), but in retrospect, I think a suit against the individual who paid for that ad would help to define incitement to violence.

I have been a pretty single-minded proponent of as free a form of speech as possible. The current climate in the US is testing ‘incitement to violence’ for me.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 11:45 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Bernie and I have [...] the same opinion about Trump.

I don't think so.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 12:32 pm
Bernie Sanders defends ‘smart and compassionate’ Maxine Waters after Trump attack.

Published (March 11, 2018)

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/377857-bernie-sanders-defends-smart-and-compassionate-maxine-waters-after-trump
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 12:34 pm
Thank you Bernie Sanders.
Both you and Maxine Waters are wonderful human beings.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Olivier5

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 02:33 pm
Russian Bots Linked To Viral Twitter Attacks On ‘Hateful’ Dems
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2018 03:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Thanks for posting this article.
I just hope Americans don't fall for these Russian attacks against our democracy.
Hopefully we can exposed them before the harm is done.
Obviously, Trump and many republicans love the Russians for their attacks against our democracy.
Simply put, Putin and the Russian government loves Trump and the republican party.
Trump and the Republican party now works for Putin.