Why I left the Democratic Party

izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 12:17 pm
@Lash,
Now you sound like you're arguing against your own point.

You can't pick and choose, either you think the person with the most votes should win or you don't.
Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 07:43 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Superdelegates is just an anti-democratic dodge of the will of the people.
If all of the primaries were closed to only registered democrats, there would be no need to have Super delegates. The problem is that some of the primaries are opened to independents.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 07:48 pm
Independants would be more likely to vote for Democrats if they were allowed to participate.
maporsche

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:05 pm
Caucasus should be removed also; they are quite anti-democratic.
Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I suspect that independents would want all primaries to be open, so that they can participate in selecting a political party's nominee.

I also suspect that the vast majority of registered democrats or registered republicans would be opposed to outsiders selecting their party's nominee.
Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:29 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Caucasus should be removed also; they are quite anti-democratic.

I agree. I believe that all caucuses should be converted to primaries.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:31 pm
@Real Music,
They use it in Democratic primaries to keepout progressives. No other reason. In Texas you don't have to register with a party to vote any primary. I could vote Green, Republican or Democrat without pledging myself to any of them.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:37 pm
@maporsche,
I agree; they’re insane.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Every state has their own rules regarding open or closed primaries.
Every state has their own rules regarding open or closed caucuses.
I was merely stating that I believe most people who are registered with any particular political party would probably prefer if outsiders were not allowed to select their party's nominee.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:41 pm
@Real Music,
There is a significant problem for independents being locked out of the election process. The two primary parties have found ways to suppress voting and use a ridiculous amount of power to manipulate the process.

Making voting fair for all Americans is going to require changes in the status quo.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They use it in Democratic primaries to keepout progressives. No other reason. In Texas you don't have to register with a party to vote any primary. I could vote Green, Republican or Democrat without pledging myself to any of them.

I know there may be some intentional shenanigans, but this is the way it should be in my opinion. People should be free to vote as they will, party affiliation be damned.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:47 pm
@izzythepush,
I don’t think one person’s vote should count for 50, or 100, or mean that you may as well not vote—your candidate is shut out because Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean said so.

That superdelegate bullshit is anti-democratic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:51 pm
They are running out of time and good will to fix this stuff. Elections will be here before we realize.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 09:54 pm
@Lash,
Hypothetically, if all party primaries were closed to only it's registered party members, that would not prevent anyone from registering with that party to participate. So, even in this hypothetical no one is truly locked out. All they would have to do is register with the party.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:08 pm
@Real Music,
Most independents, including me, never voted for the independent party. We don’t have an allegiance to party. We vote for the individual.

More Americans identify as independents—about 40%! No independent candidate ever got a percentage even approaching 40%.

Because they vote like me—That’s a lot of people to shut out of the process.
roger

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:11 pm
@maporsche,
And biased. Don't forget biased.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:21 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Most independents, including me, never voted for the independent party. We don’t have an allegiance to party. We vote for the individual.

There is nothing wrong with being an independent. There is nothing wrong with not having any allegiance to any particular political party. But, that is a choice. Everyone can vote in the general election for an individual rather than a party.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:26 pm
@Real Music,
It's your right to see it their way. But you just have to look at the primaries in the last presidential election to see it was used as a weapon against Bernie Sanders. So, you cling to that belief, but I don't buy it.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:31 pm
@Real Music,
I have the right as an American citizen to vote in primaries. No one should have more voting rights that I do.
Real Music

Reply Tue 29 May, 2018 10:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am a fan and supporter of both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton.