Why I left the Democratic Party

Lash

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 11:59 am
@izzythepush,
I’m anti-Trump, but I did hope he’d be successful in a few things that would be good for the country.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 12:57 pm
@Lash,
Sounds like the triumph of hope over experience. You were so eager to give him credit for N Korea when there was no real evidence that he deserved any of it, as events have shown.
Lash

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 02:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I measured my response based on the progress. I hadn’t liked the previous methods, as they’d resulted in failure.

I’m comfortable with my hopeful attitude toward NK disarmament, and still hopeful but increasingly realistic.
maporsche

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 02:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I haven't felt any negative effect directly from Trump either.

The republican tax bill saved me ~$5000 in taxes this coming year and my healthcare is through my employer so his gutting of the ACA hasn't affected me either.

There hasn't been much else Trump has done these last 2 years. The SC stuff will shape the courts for decades (thanks Jill Stein voters!) but those decisions haven't really impacted anything yet.

He's a blowhard and I think an idiot but that's not affecting me personally any way. It's just not what I want to think our government has become.

Now, while I don't like paying taxes any more than the next American, I think that tax bill (while having some good parts) will have a negative effect on America over the next 10-20 years and I would have wished it had not passed. The DACA stuff is tragic for those involved and I wish Clinton were president so it wouldn't have happened. The ACA stuff is equally bad and horrible for millions of Americans (just not enough millions for most to care) and if it weren't for the voters who voted in 2008 and 2012 staying home instead of voting, well we'd have a different agenda and president.

I can see Trump winning again (disgusting thought) because most people haven't felt the negative effect of his very few enacted policies and because people generally don't give a **** in America, especially if they need to get a baby sitter and take a Tuesday off work.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You would think that Trump destroyed the GOP...

Similar to the Dems, the Republicans had already fractured prior to the 2016 election and the subsequent horrors set forth by Trump. If anything, Trump has somehow managed to glue the 2 parts of the Republicans together enough to shove through several of his disasters.

Quote:
...saying Trump can win a second term.

Since very few thought he'd get the first term or this far into it, I'd not be surprised if he got a second round, especially with the Dems still not pulling together and making necessary changes in their own ranks to bring forth a victory on the national level. Sure they have some local wins; however, they need to get cracking on the move towards the big stage.

Quote:
I don't feel that Trump has impacted my life in any way...

...I also believe that Trump has degraded our standing in the world.

First, much of what is currently being done will have long term repercussions. The results of the actions of the current Houses and Trump are not going to be felt immediately for the most part by the average citizen. These things take time! Remember results from some of Bill Clinton's decisions, the Welfare Reform Act, for example, took a few years to start showing impact and being felt (mostly negatively).

Trump has and his pals know this. They are even willing to take a hit in the midterms if it will help bring victory in 2020.

Second, you have contradicted yourself. You claim that Trump has not caused any impact on you and your life; yet, you then say that his actions and behaviors have lowered our standing within the world. If the standing of the U.S.A. across the globe 🌎has been lowered, then, Trump has indeed had an impact on each and every last one of us.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 03:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Hillary Clinton: Single-payer health care will "never, ever" happen
She has a point. The Obamacare marketplace is far more in line with American values.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 03:06 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The establishment Democrat Party has too much bribe money invested with big pharma to allow the people to have universal healthcare. They stood in the doorway, actively blocking us from making this life-saving change. They were successful, largely because of cheering lame brains who thought this was a popularity contest, rather than thinking critically and stepping back to look at the whole picture.
By my recollection, the Democrats passed universal healthcare early in Obama's presidency.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 03:07 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I can see already the mid-terms and later the presidential race is going to come down to a relative few disgruntled so called progressive spending all their time and energy trashing the democrats instead of republicans and then when once again, republicans win, blame folks like me who prefer to compromise and work together rather than trashing the whole democrat party. Ground hog days ahead.
Yes. The Republicans will control the White House for the next 19 years.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 03:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You would think that Trump destroyed the GOP, but some pundits are saying Trump can win a second term.
He will win easily. The Republicans are going to control the White House for the next 19 years.

cicerone imposter wrote:
but it seems many don't care, and will re-elect him based on the fact that our economy is doing well.
I'll vote for him based on the fact that he will prevent the Democrats from violating the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 03:30 pm
@Lash,
I would not have described your reaction as in any way measured. That would have been something along the line of let's wait and see, instead you were praising Trump's bellicose rhetoric for bringing NK to the table.

And you were castigating the rest of us for not praising him, saying our anti Trump mindset was the only reason we weren't similarly so effusive.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Singer: “O.K., I guess I’m asking, do you consider yourself ideal company?”

“You really want to know what I consider ideal company?,” Trump replied. “A total piece of ass.”

That pretty much describes who Donald Trump really is. A moron who thinks with his groin.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 05:50 pm
@izzythepush,
I think you just try to piss people off with outrageous lies for the peanut gallery.
You were the one who said Trump’s vision for world peace was a “stroke of brilliance.”

Lash

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 05:58 pm
@oralloy,
Dude, there is a great gulf between Obamacare and universal healthcare, but I know most libertarian/conservative types hate the idea of anything like that.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2018 06:41 pm
@Lash,
How exactly is Obamacare not a form of universal healthcare?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 12:38 am
@Lash,
Now you're starting to sound like Max, he lies whenever his past comments are pointed out. Not everyone on here has the memory of a goldfish, we remember what you said. I don't tell lies because it's too easy to get caught out, and you're proof of that.

Maybe you just have a selective memory, if that's the case why not go back and read what you actually wrote.
Lash

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 05:35 am
@izzythepush,
Listen, you’re well-known for gaslighting and outright lying just to goad people. I’m not going to spend any more energy defending myself about this, but I’m wondering to myself lately why I continue to allow people to lie about me all through these pages and I hold myself to a higher standard.

I’m lied about constantly with no action by moderators, so I’m thinking about joining in. Why not? Let’s all lie constantly about each other.

Prove your accusation with my quote or enjoy my accusations.

Thanks for raising the character of the site, btw.
Lash

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 05:36 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think you just try to piss people off with outrageous lies for the peanut gallery.
You were the one who said Trump’s vision for world peace was a “stroke of brilliance.”

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 07:09 am
It's necessary to stand up to Trump and his henchmen, every time they do wrong. But to invest all of our political energy into promoting those cretins 24/7 is playing into their hands, because so many voters applaud each time Trump comes up with outrageous new material. Sooner or later, Democrats need to stake out progressive positions, showing they actually stand for something, and then they've got to actually fight for it. Otherwise, they are done for already.
maporsche

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 07:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Democrats need to stake out progressive positions

You mean like submitting universal healthcare bills, DACA bills, bills to institute the assault weapons ban?

I posted a bunch of those on a thread just a day or two ago.

Or do you mean that they should just TALK tougher, because they seem to be putting bills in front of the Republican leaders (who won’t vote on them).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 May, 2018 08:52 am
@Lash,
I'm in the middle of moving house. I've not got time for your nonsense. Like I said people don't have the memories of goldfish. You could always waste your time trying to prove your gaslighting allegations, and it will be a waste of time.