Why I left the Democratic Party

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:26 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
it was enough to confirm the awful woman.

All she ever did was protect us from terrorists. How is that awful?

revelette1 wrote:
On the other side of equation, if Democrats were in control, she would not have been confirmed, I think we could have turned enough republicans to stop it. If a democrat were in the WH, she never would have come close to being picked.

That's an argument for voting for Republicans. We want people to protect us from terrorists.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Sometimes the hate comes first (and sometimes from a deluge of falsities, exaggerations, conspiracy theories, and negative-branding) and the justification for it comes second.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:30 am
@edgarblythe,
I was commenting on someone's remark that people who own guns in America shouldn't have a problem with America selling arms globally.

I disagreed with that faulty reasoning.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:39 am
@Real Music,
This quote of Bernie's from the article is erroneous.

“There was never, ever, ever any suggestion that Hillary Clinton quote-unquote stole the election,” Sanders said. “We ended up with almost the same amount of delegates as Clinton from Iowa and we felt very good about that race.”

Bernie's avoidance of the DNC's collusion with media and others against Bernie's campaign and the open cheating at several caucuses and polling places was a source of frustration among the majority of his supporters. There are several legitimate reasons he may have decided to go that way.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:42 am
@Lash,
Must be someone I don't read.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:45 am
@Lash,
I can't get into Bernie's mind as to why he supported Clinton. I lean to the theory it was some kind of strategy to stay viable with enough of the party to be able to continue his work in the future. A mole for change, so to speak.
revelette1

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Or perhaps it is honestly how he saw it.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:51 am
@edgarblythe,
So you’re willing to give he person you support the hugest benefit of the doubt and excuse all of his “transgressions”. Yet you’re not willing to do the same for others whom you don’t support.

Bout sum it up?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:04 am
@Lash,
Quote:
This quote of Bernie's from the article is erroneous.

THIS IS A HUGE DEAL!!!" Bernie Sanders' Reaction to the Trump-Russia News.
Bernie Sanders destroys Trump on Russia in an NBC interview on Meet the Press with Chuck Todd.
(Published on Feb 18, 2018)
engineer

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:04 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I can't get into Bernie's mind as to why he supported Clinton.

Probably because he recognized the two of them as different sides of the same coin. Their positions were never far apart, but Sanders was almost entirely strategic in his thinking while Clinton was almost entirely tactical. Sanders was always about the end state with no idea how to get there and Clinton was always about the short term details without a lot of focus on the destination. I think that says a lot about the appeal of Sanders and the lack of appeal of Clinton. Sanders could sell you on his vision, he could tell you what the ideal state was, describe the shining city on the hill. Clinton could describe in detail the steps to get there or perhaps just half way there but at least to move in the right direction, but that's way too wonky for most Americans. It wasn't too wonky for Sanders. I'm sure he knew that Clinton would get him closer to his goals than say Jill Stein.
maporsche

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:10 am
Podcast on differences between the candidates in Texas’ 7th. There aren’t much. Laura Moser even said (on tape) that their positions are not that different.

Listening to FiveThirtyEight Politics (A Democratic Squabble In Texas)

Does the fault line in the Democratic Party really run through Texas's 7th district? Clare and Galen compare the candidates in what's become a contentious Democratic primary.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:10 am
@edgarblythe,
That's what I thought, too.

They might have threatened to throw their money behind a primary fight in Vermont. Obviously, the ramped up attacks on Jane were a result of Bernie's run...

But, just considering Bernie's situation: he very likely had no idea he'd have the enormous impact he had during the primary, and he probably had to recalculate his path constantly as his support grew. He probably had no idea that he would actually challenge Hillary as a candidate. When that started happening, he probably set some rigid parameters on how not to be legitimately called a spoiler. I guess after mounting a great popular campaign that really showed her flaws, the only way to recover as a team player was to go all out to campaign for the D, no matter what gruesome individual bore the letter or what they did to get it.

Lots of 'probablys'...

It crushed me that he assumed the position dutifully at and after the 'convention,' but, I read that he abruptly stopped speaking to his good friend Nader after he impacted Gore's chances. Did NOT like so-called spoilers.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:11 am
@Real Music,
I've seen it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:27 am
@engineer,
Clinton is a warmonger, same as Bush, Obama and Trump. Not Bernie.

Clinton allows the big money to make most of her decisions domestically. She only gives lip service to some progressive ideals. She's the sort who sits on what is in place rather than move ahead in ways constructive to the public needs.

People who say Bernie couldn't accomplish anything if elected don't see that public enthusiasm for a winner can sweep away obstructions from many politicians who want to stay in office. Clinton not only didn't have coattails, the Dems lost more seats. Yet people claim she would have been able to get things done. Only by going along with much of the Republican agenda could she have gotten anything passed.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Yep.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 07:56 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not Bernie.

How do you know this? Had he become president, I would imagine he’d have to react strongly to some situations. He would have continued many of the same programs that Trump is now.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 11:03 am
@Lash,
No man or woman is an island. We're all influenced by many factors, whether we realize it or not.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 11:12 am
@Olivier5,
Our environment, parents, teachers, siblings and peers influence us.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
I get the frustration or downright animosity with mainstream demos. Including your sentiment against Hillary. I get it, truly.

What I DON'T get is the lack of respect for Bernie Sanders. As soon as he conceded, you guys threw him away like a old sock.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I can't get into Bernie's mind as to why he supported Clinton. I lean to the theory it was some kind of strategy to stay viable with enough of the party to be able to continue his work in the future. A mole for change, so to speak.

Bernie just understood the stakes better than you did. The guy is a Jewish intellectual; he can recognize a nazi when he sees one.