An Apology to All the Gay a2kers

PDiddie

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:29 pm
Allsix:

What's a 'commo'? A communist homo?

No, it's "not OK" -- to be as literal as possible in my answer -- to be one of those here, based solely on what I can extrapolate. The subsets "commie" and "homo" are disparaged, discriminated against, and generally made to feel as unwelcome as possible, so it is with a high degree of confidence that "commos" (or is it "commoes"?) would meet the same fate here in good ol' God Bless America.

graphixgrrl, that was a great post. Ought to be required reading for all those (such as oh, John Kerry) who equivocate on the issue of gay marriage. And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:08 pm
Yeah, I was wondering what your first sentence was all about allsix.

I do agree that we are all sexual and that sex doesn't have to be between a man and a woman for it to be enjoyable. Better yet if two 'people' can enjoy a long term relationship including marriage.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:27 pm
Trapped
I thank all of you who have stood up for us, believe me, there aren't many that do. While most straight Americans don't believe that we should be discriminated against, that sad fact is that most will ignore it when it happens.

But why am I whining, I'm no activist; though I wish I were. I admit their tactics have been a bit irritating, but they have worked. We're now looked upon as 'just human' by the majority, and that's fine with us.

Yet the truth is that without those of you that are able to think about others,
we'd be just a bunch of screaming faggots coming to the slaughter.

So by the power invested in me, in the name of the royal house of Gay; I declare you all honorary fags.

^.^
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Lol!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:53 pm
Eryemill--

Thank you--and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:16 pm
I beg your pardon.

I am a fag hag.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:02 pm
Sorry!
Sorry! I will not make the same mistake again madame. After all fag hags are the backbone of gay society, according to Margaret Cho.

This is an excerpt from Cho's book, 'I'm the One that I Want'.

http://content.gay.com/channels/arts/cho_margaret_book.html

A bit lengthy, but definitely worth reading by 'da hags' out there.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:04 pm
Glad to be Here.
Oh, and thank you all for making me feel welcome.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:31 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 10:44 am
Re: An Apology to All the Gay a2kers
Piffka wrote:
Sorry

It's not your fault, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Being gay really suxors sometimes. I try not to be angry and I try to forgive but there's an awful lot to forgive. Some days I can, others I can't. Yet either way it's not people like you who are the problem and you have to have suffered a lot before you lose site of that.
0 Replies

Qanda

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 09:31 am
beautiful_surrender wrote:
Thank you lash!! I don't think anybody realizes how much it hurts to be that "gay guy sitting beside you". Its like the entire universe is against your existance... and now you are going to be afraid of becoming close to those people because you know they are apposed to a big part of you...

Well I am almost positive that I am a lesbian... and some of my friends are gay also. So whenever I am sitting in class with some of them or by myself and a disscussion arises about gay rights or gay marriage... they seem to be all against me...

and no matter how loud I yell or how good a point I have, noone can hear me.. or maybe noone wants to listen...

My friend is a gay, and hasn't come out yet. His parents love him a lot; however they are also very Christian. He tells me how painful it is whenever he overhears his parents talk about homosexuality and how unholy and unnatural it is. He has to keep a poker face and pretend to be engaged in something so as not to betray his true feelings.

Very, very heart-breaking, IMO.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
Re: Trapped
Eryemil wrote:
I thank all of you who have stood up for us, believe me, there aren't many that do. While most straight Americans don't believe that we should be discriminated against, that sad fact is that most will ignore it when it happens.

But why am I whining, I'm no activist; though I wish I were. I admit their tactics have been a bit irritating, but they have worked. We're now looked upon as 'just human' by the majority, and that's fine with us.

Yet the truth is that without those of you that are able to think about others,
we'd be just a bunch of screaming faggots coming to the slaughter.

So by the power invested in me, in the name of the royal house of Gay; I declare you all honorary fags.

^.^

Thanks, Eryemil! Heehee... can I be an honorary fag in drag? (I identified with Robin Williams' mate in "The Bird Cage." What a sweetie!)

http://www.lionking.org/~timon/lane.jpgNathan Lane
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:22 pm
This thread is wonderful with some of the best posts I've read on a2k.

I found an article by Karen Armstrong with some very good thoughts on religion's propensity to focus on alienating issues while overlooking the basis of most religions: compassion.

Here are a couple of passages from her article:

Quote:
..."religious leaders often concentrate on marginal issuues: Can women or gay people be ordained as priests or rabbis? Is contraciption permissible? Is evolution compatible with the first chapter of Genesis? Instead of bringing people together, these distracting preoccupations actually encourage policies of exclusion, since they tend to draw attention to the differences between "us" and "them."

She goes on to say,
Quote:
"There are some people, I suspect, who would feel obscurely cheated if, when they finally arrived in heaven, they found everybobdy else there as well. Heaven would not be heaven unless those who reached it could peer over the celestial parapets and watch other unfortunates roasting below."

She doesn't let those of us who are secular off the hook:

Quote:
"The history of each faith tradition represents a ceaseless struggle between our inherent tendency to aggression and the mitigating virtue of compassion. Religiously inspired hatred has caused unimagineable suffering around the world. But secularism has had its failures too. Auschwitz, the Gulag, and the regime of Saddam Hussein show the fearful cruelty to which humanity is prone when all sense of the sacred has been lost."

To me, the saying,
Quote:
"Hate the sin, love the sinner"
represents the exact problem of most religions. That is not compassionate, it is prejudicial.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:43 pm
Diane wrote:
To me, the saying,
Quote:
"Hate the sin, love the sinner"
represents the exact problem of most religions. That is not compassionate, it is prejudicial.

You are so right about that quote, Diane. It ought to be trumped by "Judge not, lest ye be judged."
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
Amen, my friend.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:03 pm
Karen Armstrong, being a fallen nun... she just proves that point about them being wise women, don't you think? Very Happy

This made me chuckle:

"....feel obscurely cheated if, when they finally arrived in heaven, they found everybody else there as well"

Y'mean, I was good for nothing???
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:07 pm
Have to relate something that happened this week: I'm working with a local employment agency, run by an older (60's?), very conventionally dressed woman.

We were chatting about a very sad local criminal case against a straight couple who adopted SEVEN children and horrifically abused them all, which has only recently come to light.

She said to me, "You know, I don't know how you feel about this, but I just have to say, why don't they give some of these kids to gay couples? I know so many gay couples who would be so much better as parents than these despicable people, and yet they won't even be considered for adoption, while these pigs got seven kids!"

I most enthusiastically agreed! It was wonderful to hear; hope it is for you all too.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:27 am
When I'm ready to adopt I'll have to move out of the state, Florida law doesn't allow gay couples to adopt, and of course, I couln't handle a child by myself.

I'm still quite young though, so there is hope that by the time I turn 25 or so things will be better.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:42 am
Eryemil, you have my best wishes for a happy life with children.

Piffka, there are lots of conventional looking people who feel very strongly about the rights of gays. You and I are (fairly) conventional looking--well, you're younger and cuter, hee, hee.

I once did a local video about gay people in the community and how they lived their lives and how the community accepted them. In my research, I came across an article--sorry, can't find it--which was written by a teenage girl who's father was gay. Her parents had divorced and she didn't get to see her day as often as she wished because of a backward looking court system. There was nothing but love in her voice as she described their conversations and how she could discuss her boyfriends with her dad. All the paranoia about children being corrupted by gay parents continues despite the well-documented evidence that being gay is genetic and isn't something ones chooses.

The hypocricy of the Christian far right is abhorent.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:15 pm
...and the compassion and community service of the Christian Right is wonderful.

There are a multitude of kind Christians, and unchurched bigots. Let's try not to protect one demographic from bigotry by perpetrating it on another demographic.
0 Replies